New to Home Theatres

arunachudh

Hi All,

Just like anyone who would begin their crazy fantasy of music life, i have begun getting mad to own myself a HT (5.1). Hope i have met the first criteria. :eek:hyeah:

I was doing a kind of a basic search on the brands that are available in the market and have listed down below some
1. Yamaha
2. Denon
3. Sony
4. Boston acoustics
5. Onkoyo
6. Samsung
7. LD
8. Pioneer.
9. Bose (Last but not the least)

If anyone thinks i have left out any best brands please suggest.
As usual, i have quite a number of queries in my mind that stand in the way of deciding the best HT for myself and i post them here hoping to get clarity on that.

1. Lot many places i hear about HT and A/V receivers. How big deal is the difference between them. can anyone explain.

2. We see a lot of brands bringing their own HTs. eg. Samsung HTX795 etc. Are they eally HTs. how do we differentiate them.

3. If i am going to setup my HT by buying individual components separately what all do you suggest provided that max limit is 30K.

4. Ya, i am also putting some efforts to learn about the acoustic capability of my existing room where i intend to setup my HT, bearing that in mind and also with some eye over the Price(30K). Can you please suggest a good HT system (not assembling individual components).

5. Is there any material to let a rookie know how to set up his room to create the best acoustic effects for a HT.

Please provide some suggestions so that i can suggest some one like me in the near Future. Your replies are very much appreciated.:D

Truly,
Arun
A Musical fanatic

At this budget (30k), your options will be an entry level HTiB from Onkyo/Yamaha/HK+JBL or otherwise a decent amp+2.0 setup. Go for the later if you can afford to spend on your setup in the future or go for a HTiB if this is your only budget in the near future.

BTW, reading threads in the HTiB and Amp/Speakers section might help.

1. Lot many places i hear about HT and A/V receivers. How big deal is the difference between them. can anyone explain.

Arun, let me take the liberty of explaining some terminology to you.

HT means Home Theatre, and could include equipment, room acoustics, seating and even a pop corn machine. What you are meaning is a different term - HTiB. This refers to Home Theatre In A Box. Essentially if one does not want to buy the receivers, DVD Player, and speakers separately, you can buy a HTiB, that, at the minimum, will have a Av receiver and set of 5.1 speakers packed together. Some may also have a DVD Player. Some may not.

Usually, HTiB usually stops at the entry level. As users go up the price ladder, they will not buy a HTiB, and would select individual items and make their own home theatre.

2. We see a lot of brands bringing their own HTs. eg. Samsung HTX795 etc. Are they eally HTs. how do we differentiate them.

The products sold by Samsung, LG etc., are mostly HTiBs. Companies such as Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz and other make both HTiBs and AV receiver based systems.

3. If i am going to setup my HT by buying individual components separately what all do you suggest provided that max limit is 30K.

At this price range, it is best if you get a good HTiB. An AV receiver will cost you 20 -25K at the minimum and you will have no money left for speakers and other items.

5. Is there any material to let a rookie know how to set up his room to create the best acoustic effects for a HT.

There have been number of discussion in this forum. There is also a lot of material available on the Net. Be patient and search. We are always there to answer any sensible question.

Cheers

Buddy anthe option is used In fact I see some people upgrading their gear after just 2-3 years use. If you get a good deal go grab it . Which DVD you hav or 30 K includes DVD?
Also keep the money ready as I have a fair expectation that there will be offers towards year end ( as many companies need to achieve year end target) I remember for cheap HTIB ,Vijay sales in Mumbai offered a scheme on Dec 31 on Philips......
Now IMHO JBL+ HK @ 25 K is best as ONLY this combo offers 8 Inch active sub! ( Onkyo 3200 does not have active sub also photo showa that AVR does not have provision for Same)

For 30k Onkyo(not Onkoyo )3200 for 25k
(OR Denon DHT 390 for 35 k) is better.
3200 does not have active sub also I am surprised to see that avr does not have provision for attaching active sub

Onkyo HT-S3200 - 5.1-Channel Home Theater Package | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

now this was known issue in old onkyos but still carried in newer one
,also it does not have 5.1 input so you cannot attach any newer device with onboard decodig like PC or BLU ray player

Many thanks all for your replies. Now this is getting very interesting.:licklips:

The passion that you people show has made me realize that my HT setup should be a State of Art one. Great!!!

Now am trying to digg deeper. I have decided to design my HT by purchasing individual components and the budget has been increased to 40K.

Could you please provide some really good combinations. ?

Also, i have been looking at various AV receivers. what factors in a AV receiver suggests that one is better than the other. I mean the features/specs. The same applies for speakers and woofers.

Any suggesstions on this would be appreciated so that i will do the analysis from my part and post as many update as i can.

Cheers for your help!

Arun

Now am trying to digg deeper. I have decided to design my HT by purchasing individual components and the budget has been increased to 40K.

Arun

Again with componet system,you need 60k as basic.Still we can manage initially with 40k & upgrade lator.

Denon 1610 for 30k or less(27k?) & pair of good stereo spk as 1010i(13k)
or wharf 9.1(15k).Then add other spks.

Full basic HT system-

Denon 1610 (30k) + mission MVDC 5.1 (for 35k) = around 60k.

Back