New TV for parents

deepanshuchg

Looking to buy a new TV for my parent's bedroom. They still have that old style fat TV, so a much needed upgrade here.

Initially I was thinking of getting a non-smart TV along with firestick to save some money but a quick glance at amazon seems like almost all the new models are smart tv, so it make sense to go with a smart tv now.

• Budget - 38k(can extend a few 1000s)
  • 32 or 43 inches. (I am not sure if I should go for the expensive 32 or cheaper 43, their bed isnt very far from the wall(bed edge is around 4 ft away, so they will be around 9 ft away from the tv) so maybe 32 inches make more sense).
  • What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily? - For consuming content from set top box(currently non-HD) and streaming from youtube/prime/hotstar and jiotv.
  • I am thinking of going for Full HD, but if 4k comes in the budget - sure. But we wont be streaming any 4k content in the near future.
  • I am looking for something which is future proof as I don't think they will be upgrading it for at least 7-10 years. Not sure whats the life of they new smart tvs these days.
  • Since I am looking for something durable so will prefer reputed brands like Samung, LG, Sony etc.

Currently looking at these models from the big brands:

My choice would be something like samsung 43 inch RU7470.
You might be able to get it under 40k, with some good bargain hunting and visiting few shops.
I stay away from LG and sony, as they mostly use IPS panels in these price ranges.

Go for Toshiba 55U7980: Reliance Digital and Vijay sales links here(it's out of stock, but keep this TV in mind). Seems to be around 45-46k which is slightly out of your budget but I guess we should be getting Dussehra and Diwali discounts in coming few weeks, and with cashbacks you can get it for 40k or so.

I don't think any other TV provides FALD and 700nits at anywhere near this price (or even under 75k if I'm not wrong). It's a rebrand of the excellent H8F from last year so the contrast and picture quality should be great. The only pain points are that viewing angles are quite mediocre and motion is not that crisp, but those are very fair tradeoffs. The next upgrade from this will be Samsung's The Frame 2020, but that is 85k.

I too am likely going to get this for parents (their Sony 42" 1080p from 2013 is showing its age).

Go for Toshiba 55U7980: Reliance Digital and Vijay sales links here(it's out of stock, but keep this TV in mind). Seems to be around 45-46k which is slightly out of your budget but I guess we should be getting Dussehra and Diwali discounts in coming few weeks, and with cashbacks you can get it for 40k or so.

I don't think any other TV provides FALD and 700nits at anywhere near this price (or even under 75k if I'm not wrong). It's a rebrand of the excellent H8F from last year so the contrast and picture quality should be great. The only pain points are that viewing angles are quite mediocre and motion is not that crisp, but those are very fair tradeoffs. The next upgrade from this will be Samsung's The Frame 2020, but that is 85k.

I too am likely going to get this for parents (their Sony 42" 1080p from 2013 is showing its age).
Samsung doesn't have fald afaik and has lower brightness levels so I'm not sure if it even is an upgrade from the Toshiba.

Samsung doesn't have fald afaik and has lower brightness levels so I'm not sure if it even is an upgrade from the Toshiba.

Samsung Frame 2020 doesn't have FALD, but has an overall better panel and a higher contrast ratio (which is a surprise since FALD TV should be better). Then there's the 120Hz VRR stuff, better processing and better OS. I think it's a better TV, though the Toshiba is 'previously unheard before in India' value for a TV set.

I believe I'll go for Toshiba 55U7980 for the < 50k price tag -> Samsung frame/ Q70R / upcoming 65U8080 (with 1000 nit brightness) for < 1 lakh.

Samsung Frame 2020 doesn't have FALD, but has an overall better panel and a higher contrast ratio (which is a surprise since FALD TV should be better). Then there's the 120Hz VRR stuff, better processing and better OS. I think it's a better TV, though the Toshiba is 'previously unheard before in India' value for a TV set.

I believe I'll go for Toshiba 55U7980 for the < 50k price tag -> Samsung frame/ Q70R / upcoming 65U8080 (with 1000 nit brightness) for < 1 lakh.
Yup. Agreed. Frame 2020 is available for 73k on the Samsung corporate site btw. Great value. Cheaper than US price even. But it is not delivering to Mumbai currently because of logistics issues I guess.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back