New/Upgrade Speakers

jjoyz

Hi Hifivision world!
I'll start by saying that I've learned a lot from this forum and hope it continues to grow!

So I'll start by outlining a bit of my journey into the audio scheme of things :)

I was always a huge rock/metal fan (still am) and i bought my first setup mostly by searching on this forum. I live in punjab so i didn't have much audition options but i got a chance to go to delhi and i got the PSB ALPHA B1 speakers. I paired them with a TOPPING TP20 amp.

Later on i bought a NAD 326BEE amp and had a great time with the NAD and PSB :D.

Then i upgraded to some floorstanders which were the MELODIKA BL40 which i bought from sound by design in gurgaon.

I also have the velodyne impact 10.

Now the thing is i loved the psb but i wanted better performance at higher volumes. I like to crank up the volume and i did audition before purchasing the current floorstanders. I really liked the lower end in the bl40 but I've now been feeling that they're lacking in the midrange part and from my experience i feel mids are the most important for me.
I like the screeching guitars, vocals to shine and instrument separation.

So i want to buy new speakers within say 1L.

Current office setup - Topping tp20 and Psb alpha b1 and nuforce udac

Current home setup - Nad 326bee and Melodika bl40 with a topping dx3 pro dac. Also have a schiit modi 2 lying around.

Main Earphones/headphones I've had in the past and present
ATH M50 (Ok ok)
VSONIC GR07 CLASSIC (Not liked)
Hifiman re zero (good)
Hifiman tws600(good with little equalizing)

My musical preference is rock and metal with a bit of everything else off and on.
80 percent music and 20 percent movies.
Room is 14 x 11 though the listening position is rather close to the speakers.

Brands Auditioned once few years back that i didn't like(all speakers under 1l mostly floorstanders) - klipsch, dali, cerwin vega, polk, elac

Auditioned but not sure if i liked them or not -
Paradigm 9 and psb x1t i think.

My choices seem to suggest that i need speakers with shining mids so to speak if I'm not wrong. I'd like some speaker recommendations within my budget and with the nad 326bee.
How is KEF?
Also, any other general recommendations are more than welcome!

Btw I plan on selling the impact 10 and buying a better musical sub later on.

Thanks for reading this far!
Kindly help :)

Your post is a very good example of providing relevant detailed information when asking for opinions. Your room size is modest and large towers might cause reflection problems. I see that you do prefer impact of the towers. If that preference is immutable I would suggest clean bass small towers with around 5" drivers. Q acoustics concept 40 can be a good choice. They are coherent and bass is well controlled with somewhat smooth top end. Also they don't require monstrous amplification.They can be auditioned in NCR and the price is less than your budget. In case you are willing to consider bookshelves Dynaudio x14 are very good at the genres preferred by you and again are selling for close out prices after launch of evok series.

Hi Hifivision world!
I'll start by saying that I've learned a lot from this forum and hope it continues to grow!

So I'll start by outlining a bit of my journey into the audio scheme of things :)

I was always a huge rock/metal fan (still am) and i bought my first setup mostly by searching on this forum. I live in punjab so i didn't have much audition options but i got a chance to go to delhi and i got the PSB ALPHA B1 speakers. I paired them with a TOPPING TP20 amp.

Later on i bought a NAD 326BEE amp and had a great time with the NAD and PSB :D.

Then i upgraded to some floorstanders which were the MELODIKA BL40 which i bought from sound by design in gurgaon.

I also have the velodyne impact 10.

Now the thing is i loved the psb but i wanted better performance at higher volumes. I like to crank up the volume and i did audition before purchasing the current floorstanders. I really liked the lower end in the bl40 but I've now been feeling that they're lacking in the midrange part and from my experience i feel mids are the most important for me.
I like the screeching guitars, vocals to shine and instrument separation.

So i want to buy new speakers within say 1L.

Current office setup - Topping tp20 and Psb alpha b1 and nuforce udac

Current home setup - Nad 326bee and Melodika bl40 with a topping dx3 pro dac. Also have a schiit modi 2 lying around.

Main Earphones/headphones I've had in the past and present
ATH M50 (Ok ok)
VSONIC GR07 CLASSIC (Not liked)
Hifiman re zero (good)
Hifiman tws600(good with little equalizing)

My musical preference is rock and metal with a bit of everything else off and on.
80 percent music and 20 percent movies.
Room is 14 x 11 though the listening position is rather close to the speakers.

Brands Auditioned once few years back that i didn't like(all speakers under 1l mostly floorstanders) - klipsch, dali, cerwin vega, polk, elac

Auditioned but not sure if i liked them or not -
Paradigm 9 and psb x1t i think.

My choices seem to suggest that i need speakers with shining mids so to speak if I'm not wrong. I'd like some speaker recommendations within my budget and with the nad 326bee.
How is KEF?
Also, any other general recommendations are more than welcome!

Btw I plan on selling the impact 10 and buying a better musical sub later on.

Thanks for reading this far!
Kindly help :)

I was going to say that, but @msaab90 said before me. I like the way you’ve drafted your post is an ideal example of how to state your context, needs and preferences so that appropriate suggestions/advice can be provided by other FMs.

I am not so conversant with variety of speakers and there would be FMs who can more ably guide you. But I think that if you are primarily interested in listening to rock and metal, you should evaluate British speakers. Wharfedale has a wide range in your budget. Dynaudio, EPOS, Monitor Audio are all known to rock well. But remember to pair the amplifier and speaker well - not just on power/sensitivity, but tonality as well. Usually amps and speakers from same stable combine well. For eg. Audiolab with Wharfedale or Creek with EPOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
KEFs are good for a wide variety of music.
Keep an eye out for the older R series. The newer models are expensive in India.
Been using R300 for the last four years. Wonderful speakers when positioned properly.
Cheers,
Raghu

hi @jjoyz, assuming you still have the NAD 326BEE amp, I would want you to give Klipsch RP600m a try. Steven Guttenberg, the reviewer has spoken about that combo as well. They rock really well. Not to mention the dynamics being relatively high efficient. You may add a sub later on, but the bass on RP600m is adequate enough. Please try to listen to this combo if you can - because Klipschs are like-it or hate-it kind of sound. Thanks!

Thank you so much guys for the appreciation and the recommendations.

I'll try auditioning the above mentioned Qacoustics, dynaudio, klipsch and kef models.

And yes I plan on using the NAD 326Bee. Will it be okay for the dynaudio as I've read that they're power hungry speakers.

Other than that thank you so much people. I will surely audition sometime soon. Keep them recommendations coming! :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back