Newbie enthusiast seeks help

my credit card got charged Rs. 8818.74.

WOW thats less than price of a Media player :)

Can you suggest some speaker models to audition, also do you think a 3.1 setup makes sense ( does it exist :))

3.1 setup (actually 3.0) is bare minimum for movies. That is because center channel plays dialogues.

3.1 setup would have:

1. Left
  2. Right
  3. Center
  4. Subwoofer

Regarding Speakers, there are way too many choices (and personal tastes) . Hit couple of stores starting from E-Zone/Croma/Hypercity to specialty Audio stores.

Which locality are you from? You can select few stores in that locality.

Regarding Speakers, there are way too many choices (and personal tastes) . Hit couple of stores starting from E-Zone/Croma/Hypercity to specialty Audio stores.

Which locality are you from? You can select few stores in that locality.

I Stay in Kandivali, do e zone/Croma/Hypercity carry serious brands??

What do you think of Polk Tsi 200, RTi A1 and KEF C3?? I have also posted the same query in one of the spekers threads.. Should I add Wharfdale to the list for auditioning. I am not sure of termiology ( bright , warm....) but I like more musical sound :))

Don't worry about Jargon and Brands.
Visit E-Zone etc to listen to songs on HTIB systems to get a baseline. And then hit better shops and select based on your taste.

You can try this shop in Andheri West : ::::::::::::::: The Shop ::::::::::::::: Speakers

Hypercity and Vijay Sales (Hub Mall) in Malad also have few speakers for audition. If you Zero in on some Speaker, Vijay Sales can give you a good price. Though it might take a week for them to source it.

Hi, I went to hypercity, they only had sony and couple of yamaha floor standers, the sound was loud and a
lot of bass without clarity, I beleive you guys call it muddy.
I went to The shop , Alliance 4 was shut ( is it closed on Sundays?). I now undestand the what
you all mean by the upgrade itch. Listening to one speaker after another, the sound changed ... for the better some time
but the money also kept on escalatinh ;=). This seems to be a never ending story. Okay here goes, used the denon 1311 for all.
Listened to the following
Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 15K
Paradigm Atom 17 K
Q Acoustic 2020 17 K
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 1 , the guy said they cost 30k but he will give fir 20800 ??

Now for my impressions from my untrained ear

I found Wharfdale diamonds ...weak ...
The paradgm atoms and q acoustic 2020 were similar and i would rate them number 2, while i found the mordaunt shorts
best in the session.

With all speakers I found that a subwoofer dramatically enhanced the sound when kept a low volume , I do mot like bass overpowering the
sound, but without the woofer the sound felt ...incomplete.

So here is the dilemma. I am now thinking that a woofer will be a must... the ones he had were all in 15k + range,
That is outside budget, so are there cheaper woofers available??? and are they any good ??
I would also like to listen to Polk , KEF and PSB image, will need to go again this week
Need you comments on the above. I though speaker budget will require 15 K , but the speakers are around 20 k plus we are talking about a
sub woofer too.
Please guide, are the Mordaunt Shorts good speakers and do they cost around 30 k and is 21 k
a good price for them ???

P.S. There is a classified on the forum Mission M8 sub woofer for 7000. any good ???

Last edited:
amte, MS makes good speakers. If it sounds good with the amp you plan to use, it makes a strong case, i mean the Mezzo.
Check out the Psb B15 too.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back