Newbie from Singapore With a question :)

Ronnie

Hello All,

I consider myself a newbie in the audiophile world and I currently live in Singapore even though my roots are very much in India. The equipments I own are rather mediocre as well.

I have a stereo set up as well as a HTS setup both pretty mediocre when it comes to audiophile standards

My HTS is an all pioneer set up almost a decade old. And my stereo set up is older than that. HTS use Pioneer S-HS88 speakers for the 5 channel set up with a Yamaha YST-SW160 sub and a Pioneer receiver and a pioneer DVD player. I use a Philips 42 FullHD TV with it.

My stereo set up is Denon UDRA-M7 with Harman Kardon Ten Bookshelf Speakers, a Pioneer Tuner and a Pioneer 9 band equalizer I also have an awfully sounding Denon SCM-70 bookshelf speakers and an old Kenwood KR-V5570 receiver.

I am thinking of upgrading my set up soon. Since I have a house in India and I am thinking of putting my existing set up there which I could use whenever I come there for vacation. Now today I have found that my S-HS88-F front speakers have their foam rotten away. These are twin 8 driver 3 way floor-standers.. Re-foaming here costs around $100 for all4 of them, but with that kind of money I should be even able to pick up a another used pair of floor standers.. These are pretty ordinary mass production speakers... So I am in a dilemma whether to re-foam and use them or throw them away.

Could any of you indicate how much re-foaming (changing just the foam surround) of woofers cost in India? Say in Bangalore? Or shall I try DYI? Also do you recommend the same or shall I throw away the speakers and buy a better used pair?

Your answers will be highly appreciated

Thanks,
Ron

Welcome to the forum.
Pls post your total budget.

Refoaming/Reconing local spk starts from Rs.100.for Hifi spk,it may be costly,not sure how much.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the reply...

As for your question... I don't have a budget as such in mind...

Here in Singapore; a used pair of KEF Floor-standers go for about $80 - $100 a pair most of the time... Lot of good speakers can be bought within $150.

So at least here in Singapore; it doesnt make any sense financially to re-foam the surrounds on 4 woofers of my S-HS88-FS Floor-standers for $100.

On the contrary; my question was, if I take them to India on my next visit, can they be re-foamed with good quality foam surround and craftsmanship for a much smaller cost? Say about INR 1000/- or so?

Thanks,
Ron

For music.try a separate set, say Marantz CDp, Nad/CA amp & good spk (bookshelf/Towers)

For HT,many options from Denon1910 ,Yamaha 863(if available) & HT spk.

Anything in your mind?

For music.try a separate set, say Marantz CDp, Nad/CA amp & good spk (bookshelf/Towers)

For HT,many options from Denon1910 ,Yamaha 863(if available) & HT spk.

Anything in your mind?

why only these brands???

He is in singapore ,options are more...

sg has a good used market ,try to venture n some high end stuff too if available @ reasonable price.

See in HT if you can check Harman Kardon or Marantz or Pioneer

//

Hello,

Thanks for the reply...

As for your question... I don't have a budget as such in mind...

Here in Singapore; a used pair of KEF Floor-standers go for about $80 - $100 a pair most of the time... Lot of good speakers can be bought within $150.

So at least here in Singapore; it doesnt make any sense financially to re-foam the surrounds on 4 woofers of my S-HS88-FS Floor-standers for $100.

On the contrary; my question was, if I take them to India on my next visit, can they be re-foamed with good quality foam surround and craftsmanship for a much smaller cost? Say about INR 1000/- or so?

Thanks,
Ron

Welcome Ronnie.

Transportation cost to India will be too much. Do what you can locally else find a "better" speaker and dispose this off if you are not happy.

Regards

yeah India stinks as an av place, everything is 3x the price, its pretty sad.

3X//

From where you get this magical number?

In some case like Marantz 1501 ,available at lower price than US price.( Indian grey)

2X or more ,i understand 3 X --exaggration!

Its a general calculations though,but sometimes price is almost same.
eg.Kef C4 sub available for $400 out & here 20k.

3X//

From where you get this magical number?

In some case like Marantz 1501 ,available at lower price than US price.( Indian grey)

2X or more ,i understand 3 X --exaggration!

@hemant
Yes it's a sarcastic exaggeration ;) and grey dont count for me, no greys where I am. Even if there were, I wouldnt buy due to lack of warranty.

@ spiro
Yes I was particularly happy regarding the kef c4 price

Thank you everyone for the comments

@ gobble, Transportation doesn't cost me anything... I don't bring a whole lot of a luggage when we travel. And we always have around 50kgms of luggage allowance in total And for these used speakers and receiver, obviously I wont pay any duty.

@Everyone:- Still I am waiting for someone to point me where re-foaming could be done in Bangalore and what is the approximate cost per 8 driver

Thanks,
Ron

@hemant
Yes it's a sarcastic exaggeration ;) and grey dont count for me, no greys where I am. Even if there were, I wouldnt buy due to lack of warranty.

@ spiro
Yes I was particularly happy regarding the kef c4 price
?
Jahan itne bade zol hote hain waha gray market nahi??

I heard delhi has huge car gray market!

Hello All,

I am still hoping that someone will help me answer my original question about
re-foaming the foam surrounds... And places in Bangalore for the same... And the appox cost as well :)

Thanks
Ronnie

Refoaming is reconing where usually Diaphragm/cone, coil, spider is changed.
Do you mean that?

Refoaming is reconing where usually Diaphragm/cone, coil, spider is changed.
Do you mean that?

No! Re-foaming is not the change of "Diaphragm/cone, coil or spider" to best of my knowledge that is called re-coning.

Re-foaming is changing of the the foam surrounds as I mentioned in my posts... I thought my post was clear enough! :( Anyway that's what I meant...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back