Nitrile rubber sheet for Isolation of speakers/equipment/rack

Why not rather spend money on getting dear ones some gifts, going on a family vacation for few weeks, come back relaxed and listen to your favorite music, i bet the improvement in sound you that you find will be much more than what these nitrile rubber feet will offer.

Well, I have been on vacation ever since the pandemic started and been listening to music every day... Have a strict no policy with friends and families and I prefer only paying for food and drinks in exchange for their company... All material things they can buy for themselves as do I (;-)

Well, I have been on vacation ever since the pandemic started and been listening to music every day... Have a strict no policy with friends and families and I prefer only paying for food and drinks in exchange for their company... All material things they can buy for themselves as do I (;-)

That is what needs to be addressed. Take a break and come back with a relaxed mind. Its like revisiting, reconditioning the mind. Theory goes like this, lets suppose someone put some new feet today under his speakers but listen to the system couple of week afterwards, whats the chances that he would be able to perceive a difference. Rest is your choice.

Having read the posts on this thread, I felt a bit confused as to what one is attempting to achieve through isolation. What is isolation as compared to vibration control, damping, what causes resonance, is resonance desirable or undesirable, coupling, decoupling, what do spikes do, what what do magnetic decouplers do, what do products like Isoacoustics Gaaya do, what does sorbothane do? Need a tutorial baba.

Having read the posts on this thread, I felt a bit confused as to what one is attempting to achieve through isolation. What is isolation as compared to vibration control, damping, what causes resonance, is resonance desirable or undesirable, coupling, decoupling, what do spikes do, what what do magnetic decouplers do, what do products like Isoacoustics Gaaya do, what does sorbothane do? Need a tutorial baba.

Edit: https://avroomservice.com/understanding-noise-and-vibration/

Last edited:
I don't know how much my speakers vibrate and how much does it affect the SQ vis a vis the room IF ANY.. Now I have no clue how to check and what to check so therefore using the cheapest possible method I would like to remove the vibration issue if any from the equation...

If there isn't any change in the SQ, atleast I won't have wasted a huge amount on money on a component upgrade and if there is something positive, I get bragging rights for my ingenuity... Also I keep myself entertained till the time travel is not open...

This is always the dilemma: I don't know if I have a problem, but there's a solution which I would like to try so as to discover if I have a problem. If the solution improves the sound, it means I had a problem. How much should I spend to find out?

In audio, there will always be a problem that will need to be resolved. If there isn't a problem, we will find a way to imagine one. We're messed up in our heads! :cool:

Love music and listen to music that you love only, then problems will be gone.

I don't know how much my speakers vibrate and how much does it affect the SQ vis a vis the room IF ANY.. Now I have no clue how to check and what to check so therefore using the cheapest possible method I would like to remove the vibration issue if any from the equation...

If there isn't any change in the SQ, atleast I won't have wasted a huge amount on money on a component upgrade and if there is something positive, I get bragging rights for my ingenuity... Also I keep myself entertained till the time travel is not open...
Hello sir :)

Iam no expert at these things :)
But will share the 2 cents I've learned from Google baba :D

In speakers where the bass cabinet and the rest are seperate. The bass cab is braced to within an nch of its life, to increase its resonant frequency. The idea being that the cabinets resonating frequency is above the operating frequency of the bass driver.

Coming to the other mid range and tweeter cabinet, these are mass damped, to bring their resonating frequency below their operating range.

And the idea in good speaker designs, is to get both these resonating frequencies as close as possible. So that the footer used between the mid range / tweeter cabinet, and the bass cabinet, adreses this small range of frequency by complete absorption.

In normal speakers, where all the drivers are mounted on a common baffle, this transmission of reverb from one driver to the other via the front baffle is common, and is unavoidable. ( in reviews of speakers, one will find mention that imaging collapses with increased volume, that is because of baffle transmitted vibrations reaching other drivers and smearing the image ) .So the idea is to adress this vibrational energy as much as possible. And there are different methods to it. Spikes couple the speakers to the floor, there by increasing the mass of the surface that has to vibrate, And isolators absorb this vibrational energy through their in built springs, which is converted to heat. So what works best...is still a big debate currently.

And the current rubber sheet that your goodselves are planning on adding, is neither a isolator or a coupler like spikes. It is just a absorber. And it will absorb the resonant frequencies at itts design frequency, and will leave the rest untouched. So depending on what frequency is an issue in your room. It can be hit or miss. So experimenting is the only way ahead .

Now coming to the isoacoustic gaia's and the townshends. They are designed to absorb from a certain frequency upwards in the entire listening range, and that is why they have a range of options for different weights, and not frequencies. Townshend claims from 5 hz onwards. So with 4 harmonics upwards, it is still effective till 20 hz. Which means that all vibrational energy from 20 hz and upwards will be fully converted to heat. This is why they are not called as absorbers but are called as isolators. As they work through the entire hearing spectrum, frequency wise, and are not band limited.

Just my 2 cents from Google :D

From what I have understood the best is to go with what the speaker maker recommends. For speakers like Harbeth experts always recommend a lossy stand for sound dissipation rather than isolation. Some speakers like Merlin are recommended with a heavy stand holding the speaker with bluetack.
With Tannoys, they recommend a Spike on carpet and wood floor but an isolation with hard floors so this is a worth while experiment.
From what I have understood from some Japanese audiophile experiments, Tannoy prestige does very well with a heavy wooden frame as base for a speaker and the speaker placed on it via spikes.

I have tried rubber and lossy wood in the past and currently have come down to brass below steel spikes sounding the best.

This is always the dilemma: I don't know if I have a problem, but there's a solution which I would like to try so as to discover if I have a problem. If the solution improves the sound, it means I had a problem. How much should I spend to find out?

:D Very often it is the journey that give the pleasure and not the destination..and you can have a journey without a specific destination and reason as well...But if you you dont like the journey and like the destination you are in now..just lie back and enjoy the music

Last edited:
So the cork sheet of 20 mm does work wonderfully well as vibration isolation under the Tannoys. Even more details can be heard in the background with tighter bass. The vibration I was feeling on the floor at my listening position has gone.. 1000 rupees well spent. Will try and put some cork blocks under the amp and laptop as well.. will report back..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back