No HDMI DVD player

crackers

My friend had purchased DVD player without HDMI output. But recently he purchased a new LCD TV whith full HD . Can he play DVD's in old DVD player with full HD output ?
Any converter ? so that old DVD player can be used

Technically speaking Component Video can carry video signals upto 1080p. It is only that to market HDMI "HD" is associated with it. For normal DVD which is upto 720p (i.e not even a full HD), there will be no improvements if the video signal is not "up-converted" or "upscaled" to Full-HD resolution (though this might not be better than the native 720p of DVD). For better picture quality you will need to play Blu-ray and connect a BDP to the TV via HDMI. Otherwise for DVD (upto 720p) a Component Video connection will be quite sufficient.
Also another thing to note is that upscaled video is only accessible via "HDMI" (very few DVD Players can actually output a full 1080p on Component Video). Thus to watch a 720p DVD on Full-HD resolution (if you prefer upscaled video), you definitely require a DVDP with HDMI.

These days TV's are itself equipped with the upscalers. You need to check if you TV is capable of upscaling analog video.

A converter or stand-alone upscaler may not be worth in this case, he could look at watching the DVDs in Progressive Scan on the DVDP, which is better than normal SD. He could use the component connection (DVDP-AVR) for better quality.

Connecting the DVDP to an upscaling AVR (if he has one) is another option.

Rather than an upscaler, best bet might be to get an upscaling DVDP like Pio-610 (~6.5k), there are some in the LG/Samsung/Philips make also.

Hello,
HD signals can be trasmitted through component cables as well. Please check if the player has component output. Otherwise it can't send any HD signal.
Thnaks.

Does it mean there is no need to pay extra money for HDMI output DVD players if your TV supports upscaling to 1080 thru normal DVD player without HDMI?

HDMI on dvds can also be a great convenience due to single cable for audio and video instead of 3+7.1. However, DVDs normally are recorded on much lower resolution so you are not missing any thing even on component.

regards

Does it mean there is no need to pay extra money for HDMI output DVD players if your TV supports upscaling to 1080 thru normal DVD player without HDMI?

Crackers:

If you see my thread on AVR Connectivity, (http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html) you will find answers to most of what you are looking for. In any case let me recap the jist of your answers.

1. Composite, Component, and S-Video are what are called analogue connections. Most DVD Players will have one or more of these. These connection have limited bandwidth. Irrespective of your DVD Player or TV;s capabilities, composite and S-Video will carry only 480i or 576i. They will not carry progressively scanned pictures. Though technically a component can carry 1080P signals, it is very rare to find a DVD Player, an AVR and a TV that ALL support 1080P over component. In most cases the signals will stop at a max of 720P. There are dicsussions of digital component, but it is yet hyperware.

Whichever of these analogue connections you use, you have to carry audio over a digital connection such as co-axial or optical to the AVR to get multichannel audio. If you connect a source through analogue to a TV you will only get a max of two channel audio. Even if the system displays Dolby or DTS, all audio signals will be down sampled to two channels.

To carry full 1080P signals as well as (upto) 7.1 lossless or lossy multichannel audio, currently, HDMI is the only option.

Cheers

hi newbie here...am using avr denon 1909 and in a lookin to change my good old philips
player and am thinking of buying an hdmi player like oppo 980h ..
i have some questions before i make the purchase..

if i connect my avr 1909 and oppo through hdmi..my avr will be doing the
audio and video processing right? so the dvdp upscaling is void?

shouldn't any hdmi player suffice in my case without upscaling in other words
do i gain by this oppo upgrade?

am i missing something here:sad:..

p.s i have 32 inch lcd which supports upto 1080i

if i connect my avr 1909 and oppo through hdmi..my avr will be doing the audio and video processing right? so the dvdp upscaling is void?
Audio - definitely the AVR would take care of it, Video - I am assuming you should be able to configure your AVR to upscale or not to upscale.

shouldn't any hdmi player suffice in my case without upscaling in other words do i gain by this oppo upgrade?
Depends on the upscaler chip/processor on the DVDP versus the AVR. Oppos are highly regarded for upscaling, compare your AVR chip against the one used by Oppo and then take a call.

Unless you have too many HD sources (DVDP/BDP/PS3 etc.), you may want to directly connect your upscaling DVDP-TV via HDMI and then DVDP-AVR via coax/optical.

@skumar thanks for your reply..yes i can turn off avr upscaler..
now i have another question..if i turn off avr upscaler then connect
dvdp via hdmi to avr will the pq be same as in connecting dvdp to tv
thro hdmi..

i.e is the pq and sq same in both the cases with avr upscaler off?

dvdp-hdmi-avr-hdmi -tv vs dvdp-hdmi-tv and dvdp-coaxial- avr

sorry for being a pain..

dvdp-hdmi-avr-hdmi-tv versus dvdp-hdmi-tv + dvdp-coaxial-avr
Theoritically, under ideal conditions, both options should give the same result as data is being passed in digital format in all these connections. But, this is not an ideal world, mate... :lol:

Personally, I would like to reduce as many interfaces as possible to avoid interference/noise/loss of data etc and would prefer the second option.

thank you for clearing the cloud...i was about to cancel the order...
so dvdp-hdmi-tv + dvdp-coaxial-avr is the best bet..i thought i would simplify
the connections and take the other route..will try both the connections
and see how true they are under the ideal conditions :eek:hyeah:

thanks again for your expertise..hope it helped people who are in the same dilemma

if i connect my avr 1909 and oppo through hdmi..my avr will be doing the audio and video processing right? so the dvdp upscaling is void?
Audio - definitely the AVR would take care of it, Video - I am assuming you should be able to configure your AVR to upscale or not to upscale.

You want to centralise the upscaling component since you will be limited by the TV or AVR at the end.

I use my TV to do all the upscaling for video since irrespective of the input signal it always tries to get to display at 720p. This will ensure that even if you connect video sources directly to your TV such as PCs etc.

For audio, there is no upscaling. You can only set a particular DSP in your AVR. If you are looking into an Oppo 980, let that manage the audio stream as it may have a better chip than the AVRs.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back