Noise Problems

alz_tcr

Hi folks, I've installed a Soundblaster Audigy value 7.1 soundcard on my PC. The sound has greatly improved but there is some hiss eminating from the speakers if I turn the vol. up on my amplifier, even if i stop playback or mute the sound. This is not that noticeable while playin music but i think this might be affecting the overall sound quality. There is no problem when i connect it to my CD player though, so i think the amp's ok. How can i solve this? think theres a prob. with my SMPS or somethin? Help:confused:

Hey! Thanks! Got a sensible answer finally! hiss becomes more pronounced as I near the halfway point, anyways, r u saying that higher-end cards shouldn't have this problem? which one wud u suggest? how about external DACs?

Hissing could be caused due to various reasons including the absence of muting circuit, ground loop, light dimmers, power source imbalance, bad interconnect cables.

Few things to try.

Setup the system on a different circuit (socket). does it still happen?

Unplug all elements including speakers and sub and connect them one at a time. Is there a particular point you hear the hiss?

If you are using any light dimmers, turn the light off and see if it works. Same with table lamp near the computer.

Use a different power bar with stabilizer. Let us know if anyone makes a difference.

Thanks a ton guys for the positive response...the hiss is audible only when i sit next to the PC monitor, guess i'll have to live with it for the time being,i'll turn the gain up on my PC and turn down the vol. knob on my amp( afraid it will clip on dynamic tracks though), but will try the things you mentioned and let you know.... btw there is no low freq. noise....

Back