Noob ALERT ! Looking to purchase first HI FI, jump in and help folks !!

goldspot2011

I am an absolute noob when it comes to Hi-Fi, looking to invest in my first ever Hi-Fi. So a little help from the experts would help in a long way. I don't know my Hi Fi configuration yet, but I know my sound. I am a child of the late 80's and early 90's, My heart belongs equally to Grunge, Psychadellic, Alternative, Classic and Pop rock. For the last 3 years, I have developed a new found taste for EDM, Lounge & Trance. I like my classic and blues largely neutral, maybe +5% colour to the highs and lows on certain days. But I like my Alternative and Heavy rock fairly coloured, I am Bass heavy (like deeper thump) and in favour of adding some colour to the highs as well but I don't like it if its too bright sounding. I like the electric guitar to sound grain-ier than normal. I am not very fond of Mids unless I am listening to Classic rock. Maybe this is does not qualify as an audiophile taste, but thats the way it is...I like it this way.

My requirement is for a decent CD source, stereo AMP with Speakers (2 channel). I'd prefer 3 way speakers, not too impressed with 2 way Book shelf speakers. I'll be using CD, Mp3 and Ipad and Laptop for playing my music.

Room Size 12 x 12

Wore prefer higher wattage - 100 + Wattage (I like it loud)

I have been audition-ing Hi fi at a few places in Del & Pune to learn some and explore the options available.

1. I have tried combinations of below

CD Players - CD6004

Amplifier - Marantz PM6004, ARCAM PMJ A19

DAC - Benchmark (latest)

Speakers - Quads (Bookshelf), Wharfedale (Floor standing Diamond)

My learnings from this audition were:

- ARCAM A19 was impressive with absolutely zero distortion from 0-99 db
- Quads sounded clean good along with Wharfedale's, bass depth was an issue with all speakers
- There is a significant difference with or without DAC, ability to tightly hold the sound comes through

2. Second outing

CD Player : Pioneer

Amplifier: Yamaha - A S300

KEF Q300 - (bookshelf)

KEF Q500 - (Floor standing)

Polk - Lower version (floor standing)
My learnings from the audition

My learnings-
- Overall the configuration was a tad too bright.
- KEF's the mids are beautiful, but just cant handle the bass/lows (both Q300 and Q500)
- I am told yamaha's are a bit bright for an amp, not entirely nuetral, my first brush with yamaha so I take it on face value, experts can tell me more.
- Polk Floor standing - I was impressed with their ability to handle psy trance (tough test) on both lows, mid lows and mid high and highs. Mids werent as strong as KEF's for sure. The difference was clear.
- I was recommended Polk Audio RTI A7, given my taste and sense of sound. I haven't auditioned it yet, feel free to comment to tell me more about them

--------------------
I am considering the below mentioned, given the best suggestion I have had till now is buy a new neutral sounding setup with tolerance for highs and deep lows. If you wish to colour the sound on particular genre's, use JRiver software.

CD Player: Marantz CD 6005

Amplifier options: ARCAM PMJ A19 or Marantz PM6005

Speakers: Polk RTI A7 (based on my taste in music and preference for a depth on the lows and the finesse on Highs)

Subwoofer - Not Considering one immediately which is where I need the speakers to hold on their own with deep lows.

I have a few questions:

Question 1: Feel free to comment, guide, suggest on the final configurations now that you know my taste. Suggest new options if you think these ones aren't the right ones to go for.

Question 2: Since both CD6005 and PM6005, Have the same DAC, the combo does it give any significant advantage over CD6005 + ARCAM A19 ?

Question 3: Whats the best price I can get in Delhi for CD6005, ARCAM A19 and Marantz PM6005 ?

Question 4: Buying from US Vs Buying from India, Since the prices difference is not much, what are the other paramters one should one consider while picking it from US and why? Power Tolerances and equipment sentivity, how big is burn up or blow out is a concern ?

Look forward to learning from the pros !

Last edited:
Hi goldspot2011

You have provided a good insight to your requirements and am sure you have auditioned a lot of systems to the core over several places....

You may want to go through this link and see what is the reality of the amplifier world today...

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: How and Why Wattage Ratings are Manipulated | Audioholics

Only a few manufacturers like Cambridge Audio, NAD , Marantz etc really take pride in what they make and ensure consistent quality maintenance for every user to give that awesome performance....Marantz gives importance to music and depth...

HiFi Mart has some neat offers and combo deals....

Marantz PM5004 + Marantz CD5004 Stereo System

Marantz PM6004 Integrated Amp & Marantz CD6004 CD Player Package

Marantz PM6005 Amplifier with Marantz CD6005 CD Player Combo

The Polk speakers are good especially the RTi A5 or7 series....any speaker which can output most if not all frequencies (20hz - 20khz) at a steady impedance of 8 ohms without any major distortion is good. Speakers with a higher sensitivity 89db will also work well on low power amps....

Wharfedale Diamond series are good....see the B&W CM series or 600 series....they match well with the Marantz...hope this helps...you can click on my user name for other posts which may help and also there would be other threads here on HFV where there are existing users of the systems you have on your mind...

What is your budget?
This is the single most important thing before giving any advice and information...

Good ques, well I started with a budget which was fit only for Q300 s. Heard them against floor standing and budget went for a toss. Having said that, id say lets keep cd player aside... The budget for both amp and speakers together would be around 1 L INR. But im open to go north of that by another 25K for something worth it and with significant difference

Good ques, well I started with a budget which was fit only for Q300 s. Heard them against floor standing and budget went for a toss. Having said that, id say lets keep cd player aside... The budget for both amp and speakers together would be around 1 L INR. But im open to go north of that by another 25K for something worth it and with significant difference

Ok .. nice budget to start with. Now my next question to you is, are you comfortable with used stuff?
At that budget in used market you can make a hell of a setup that you will be proud of for long long time.

Ok .. nice budget to start with. Now my next question to you is, are you comfortable with used stuff?
At that budget in used market you can make a hell of a setup that you will be proud of for long long time.

Agreed.

Also listen to a few setups of other FMs before finalising.

Interesting thought! I dont know much about the seconds market, dont have much of an issue with it. Apart from the usual concerns about a clean equipment, not repaired, lack of warranty et all. You know what configuration I am looking feel free to suggest a betyer configuration that might appeal to my taste along with info on after market sellers

As Jai suggested a few posts ago, go listen to as many systems as possible in your city. Preference would be for real-time installations at home and not at dealer outlets. Either send individual PMs to Delhi FMs or start a thread requesting for home auditions from FMs here. Am sure quite a few would'nt mind at all, in fact, help you out if you sound genuine.

i think the kef q series is a good start. you could also check out the monitor audio bronze series. you've already done a lot of research which is good. most systems have their own sound signatures. so its important to listen to it and decide on what suits your ears. from the music you listen to i dont think you will want to go with something too warm. neutral is good. once you decide on the speakers then pairing it with a suitable amp is also important. nad would be warm, though worth an audition. marantz too is on the same lines. you could try cambridge as well

Interesting thought! I dont know much about the seconds market, dont have much of an issue with it. Apart from the usual concerns about a clean equipment, not repaired, lack of warranty et all. You know what configuration I am looking feel free to suggest a betyer configuration that might appeal to my taste along with info on after market sellers

Okay then. Glad that you are open to used stuff. People who are starting their journey with moderately high budget like you are generally reluctant to used market.

Your concern about used products is true and more so when you are buying from indian dealers/sellers because of weather, pollution and their mindset. UK is safer place to buy used stuff.

I will come up with few suggestions that you may look around and grab if you get great deals.

I would go for something like this one anyday, provided I have that kind of budget. This is poor men's Symphonic Line-

Odyssey Stratos

The only concern is the line in voltage which is 110V. I am not sure but some rewiring in the Trafos should allow it to take 230V. You can always use a stepdown trafos to start with.

As Jai suggested a few posts ago, go listen to as many systems as possible in your city. Preference would be for real-time installations at home and not at dealer outlets. Either send individual PMs to Delhi FMs or start a thread requesting for home auditions from FMs here. Am sure quite a few would'nt mind at all, in fact, help you out if you sound genuine.

Hi, Can you help me identify a few Forum Managers, I am assuming thats what FM stands for., even more so Delhi FM's. I am serious about a purchase here and that too soon.

Is there a way to search Delhi FM's ? Is there a sticky thread on this, that I am missing ?

Thanks guys for pitching in with your thoughts, I apprreciate your inputs. Yes its such a sound thing, to the point that one man's warm sound is another man's bright sound :D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back