Noob Question.

prasanth.kumar81

I might be a noob but I am just curious, why are CD players so expensive. I have seen posts here that CD Player are as expensive as 80K. I mean for that price i could as well buy the one of best BD player(Lets say an Oppo for 40K) and a reasonably high end AV Receiver for another 40K

There has to be something else. So Just curious.

Last edited:
I think it is mostly the quality of the DAC. However, the really high end models also have much better mechanical components.

Hello, ...hmmm this is quite a charming noob question. When you said 80k, I see you meant rupees, try dollars or even GBPs. Not sure what a full stack of DCS costs nowadays....certainly more that that!
It's much more than just the DACs. You pay for the build quality of the internal components and external housing, the stability of the transport, the R&D costs (proprietary technology), the clocks, power supply etc. etc etc.
However so saying, I am firmly now (after 27 years of collecting CDs - can you believe the foam that those CDs used to come on the early CDs have hardened and turned into powder that has eaten into the CD!!...and they said it was indestructible!) in the camp that a well-implemented server based system will give you great results for much less comparatively.
I will leave the CD v BD player for another FM to answer please.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back