noob question

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

I intend to upgrade the front speakers of my Onkyo 3100 to Wharfedale 9.2s.
I have an old Marantz stereo amp too.

Now my question is (forgive me if this is too naive a question) can i connect the speakers to both my AVR and Stereo amp at the same time, so as to eliminate the hassle off changing the connections often?

Thanks,
sri

IMHO, No!
I have a similar issue. For that, I have contacted a guy from Onkyo service. He would come to my place and mod my AVR to give line level out, which I will feed to pre-amp. This is still at concept level, and I am waiting for a power amp to complete the list of equipments before I get the AVR modded. Will keep everyone posted.

regards

regards

Hi Guys,

I intend to upgrade the front speakers of my Onkyo 3100 to Wharfedale 9.2s.
I have an old Marantz stereo amp too.

Now my question is (forgive me if this is too naive a question) can i connect the speakers to both my AVR and Stereo amp at the same time, so as to eliminate the hassle off changing the connections often?

Thanks,
sri

I forgot - venkat designed a speaker selector switch that doesn't need cables to be swapped, just flick the switch.

i think you get those selectors ready made or can be made easily at lamington road.
Many audio shops use them

Hi Sri, does your marantz have remote?
There maybe speaker switchers available with remote control.
You can then use your universal remote for full control of your setup...;)

Hi reju,

My Marantz is too old to have a remote:rolleyes:. Do u mean to say the switch can be remote controlled?

My son (in the pic) has told me there is no question of changing the cable to and fro.Though he hears a lot of pop,rock and hip hop he is not too impressed with the Marantz. But i want the stereo music thro the Marantz. Hence the question.
cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Hi reju,

My Marantz is too old to have a remote:rolleyes:. Do u mean to say the switch can be remote controlled?

My son (in the pic) has told me there is no question of changing the cable to and fro.Though he hears a lot of pop,rock and hip hop he is not too impressed with the Marantz. But i want the stereo music thro the Marantz. Hence the question.
cheers,
sri

venkat made a similar equipment on demand - i wish to take one - i am just waiting for my amp purchase to go through. It has a speaker selector switch that can alternate between 2 sources and 1 speaker set. It is manual though but made o f good quality materials.

Sri, connecting two amps to the same speakers is dangerous. A power feedback from one amp to the other could potentially kill one of the amps.

There are two ways to solve this issue. One is to have two set of cables coming from each amp, and switching the connection at the speaker end. The other is to get a amp selector switch. You connect both the amps to the switch and the switch to the speaker by a separate set of cables. Depending upon which amp you are using you can toggle the switch.

For more details in this please visit http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/4121-1-speaker-2-amps-7.html.

Cheers

Hi reju,

cheers,
sri

Yes the switch can be remote controlled.
But since you will have to manually switch/ on Marantz, then RC speaker switch module may not be worth it?

Xantech.com

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back