Nostalgia express!

Hi
I remember my Uncle and his handwound HMV player with the horn speaker and player's pin had to be changed after three plays of the 78 rpm record, I started collecting LP's from 1968 to 1980 mostly UK groups, I have a stock of LP's/45's which have not been played for over 20yrs, like my father never liked the Beatles and wanted to know what all the noise was about and how I never appriciated Nat King Cole, well now when I play 'Cream' my children find it noisy but still like Eric Clapton who they think is a new pop star, well history repeats it's self fortunatly my wife & myself share the same music R.Stones/B.Dylan/Iron Butterfly/Doors/D.Purple, however the video of 'Another Brick In The Wall' keeps the family together

....... a few more .... Drums of Fu Manchu, Gunfight at the OK Corral, The Hound of Baskervilles, Chengiz Khan, Omar Mokhtar ........

...... Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster ........

Last Tango In Paris, On The Waterfront, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, A Streetcar Named Desire, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, A Clockwork Orange, The Great Gatsby, The Graduate, Dog Day Afternoon, Badlands, Bring Me The Head Of Diego Garcia, Get Carter, The Getaway, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Wages Of Fear, A Soldier's Story, The Great Santini, The China Syndrome, On Golden Ponds, In The Heat Of The Night, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Sophie's Choice, Enter The Dragon.

Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Sean Connery, Bruce Lee, Meryl Streep, Jane Fonda, Faye Dunaway, Ali Mcgraw.

From 70's pop, I moved on to classic rock from the period 1960-1980. My cassette player was always on, as long as I was in my room. I discovered countless rock bands and solo musicians. A lot of playing time was devoted to Bob Dylan, Neil Young, John Lennon, Dire Straits, Eagles, Simon & Garfunkel, Traffic, Cream, Doors, Santana, Jethro Tull, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Allman Brothers, Uriah Heep,The Who, Queen, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Steely Dan, America, Moody Blues, CSNY, John Mayall, JJ Cale, Peter Frampton, Cat Stevens.

Some of the songs that I played very often were, Tambourine Man/ Dylan, Thrasher/ Neil Young, Tunnel Of Love/ Dire Straits, King Of Hollywood/ Eagles, Low Sparks Of The High Heeled Boys/ Traffic, The Boxer/ S&G, Stairway To Heaven/ Led Zep, Eleanor Rigby/ Beatles, Imagine/ John Lennon, Angie/ Rolling Stones, Sunshine Of Your Love/ Cream, Black Magic Woman, In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, Free Me, Arc Of A Diver/ Steve Winwood, All Along The Watchtower/ Jimi Hendrix, Double Trouble/ Eric Clapton, Nights In White Satin/ Moody Blues, My Generation/ The Who, Redemption Song/ Bob Marley, Riders On The Storm/ Doors, Aqualung/ Jethro Tull, Truckin/ Grateful Dead, Deacon Blues/ Steely Dan, Child Of Vision/ Supertramp, Eye In The Sky/ Alan Parsons Project, Wish You Were Here/ Pink Floyd, Epitaph/ King Crimson, Walk On The Reed, Don't Fear The Reaper/ Blue Oyster Cult, Chicago/ CSNY, Baby I Love Your Way/ Peter Frampton, Freedom/ Richie Havens.

Lesser known perhaps. But pretty good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sirXkk7MRV0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW_-pwmXy-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC72QOriY08&feature=related

Last edited:
Yeah I love the same kind of music my favourites Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens)/Doors/CCR/F.Mac/B Dylan/K Kristofferson/J Joplin/Mamas & Papas/D.Purple/B Strisand

There is a famous saying about rock music "Elvis liberated our bodies and Dylan liberated our minds."

What draws people to rock music, when they are young, is this promise of liberation. Liberation from our inadequate life and times. Liberation from the ordinary and a flight into the extraordinary. For me, the years 15 to 25 were the 'liberation' years. The 'dream' years. Years when I went through life, half awake and half asleep :cool:

'Awake', I was rocking to Pink Floyd playing "Time"

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way"

'Asleep', I was listening to Robert Allen Zimmerman leading me through the smoke rings of his mind.

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow."

Let me forget about today until tomorrow. My favorite line from my favorite song :)

On Friday evening while watching POTC 4 in a movie hall, there was a band of teenagers sitting near us. Their reaction to the exploits of Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz, intellectual,emotional and chemical, reminded me of how similar I was at their age. In those days and perhaps even now, I too used music and movies like a drug. To curb the restlessness of my body and mind. To find happiness and bliss in wild, impossible adventures and romantic/sexual escapades. To dream on....:)

Saw 'Flashback of a fool' on TV World Movies Channel in which David Bowie and Bryan Ferry of Roxie Music are played and discussed, brought back memories.
I do have 45 rpm's around 30 nos to be given away free, have not played them for over 25 yrs, year around 1970's, anyone interested send me an e-mail
Tks

Currently on a holiday in Goa. A little bit of a compromise, as we actually wanted to visit Russia! But a restless 5 year old daughter, constantly craving attention, ice creams, masala dosa's and milk ( her staples! ), would not have been the ideal companion for strolling down the Nevsky Prospect, visiting the Hermitage or a pilgrimage to the house of Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky. Therefore Goa!

I 'discovered' Goa in the early 80's, on a college trip and have kept coming back ever since! On that first 'memorable' trip we made straight for Calangute and Anjuna, which were the only beaches we were familiar with. Unlike the shanty town which Calangute has now become, in those days it was a paradise of clean sands,blue waters, beautiful women and above all silence!

I and my wife, detest noise, which is why our Indian holidays are always in Goa or in a remote mountain location like
Ladakh, Sikkim, or Bhutan. Can't abide spending more than a day in the busy, noisy, metros of India.

Goa on that first visit was truly memorable. We were short of cash. Food, accomodation and booze was basic, but coming from the 'mountains' of Simla, we loved our first experience of the sea. Bob Marley was very popular, and the beach shacks used to blast out his music. We da people can make it work, Come together and make it work!

We hired bicycles and spent the next few days in absolute bliss. I was a compulsive buyer of cassettes and found a gold mine of used tapes. I took a gamble. Instead of buying albums of Dylan, Hendrix, Doors or Marley which I had been seeking for a long time, I ventured into jazz. I was familiar with the names..... Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Thelonioous Monk, Louis Armstrong..... but had never heard their music. I bought A Kind Of Blue and Birth Of The Cool. A Coltrane anthology with Naima, Mr PC, Blue Trane, My Favorite Things. A Monk anthology with Straight No Chaser, Well You Needn't, Round Midnight. A two volume set of Blue Note jazz greats, which became my introduction to all the great names in jazz music.

Back home I used to play some of these tracks, but much of the music was 'incomprehensible'. Took some time before I started grooving to Diz, Bird and the Duke more than my favorite rock music.

Last edited:
For the past 4-5 days I have been listening to a glorious non stop symphony in Goa. By the greatest orchestra in the world. Nature!

One of the happiest memories of my childhood is the sound of rain falling on a sloping tin roof. We had plenty of sloping roofs and plenty of rain in Simla. I used to love sitting in a warm cozy room, or snuggling comfortably into a thick quilt as the rain pounded outside. I felt happy and close to nature.

I lost that touch with nature when we moved to Chandigarh. The seasons were now an irritant rather than a soothing symphony of sensations. Nature can only be enjoyed when you are close to it. In the mountains, by the sea, in a forest or a desert. Perhaps the happiest two days of my life were spent on a holiday in Inari, Lapland, Finland. 40 km short of the North Pole Population 8-10 people. Normal human concerns and endeavours seem petty and meaningless when you come face to face with nature, alone, without a horde of aspiring, perspiring, conspiring, humanity pushing you from all sides.

For me the most 'un natural' thing in the world is television. It is a world in itself, with little or no touch with the 'real' or the 'natural'. The incessant circus of manufactured soaps, reruns of rehashed films, 'noise videos', balls of various shapes and sizes being hit, kicked and thrown around, in activities which could once be termed as 'sport', but are now merely an excuse for selling detergents, instant noodles and colas. And a relentless, unending river of bad news that pours out of the news channels of the world.

Far better to live in isolation and listen to the sound of rain falling on a sloping roof.

Last edited:
we had good rain yesterday... monsoon arrived in HYD finally.. in the outskirts.. in the balcony and some oldies.. did make a good evening with few shots..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back