Nostalgia express!

ajay124

Nostalgia is a drug which becomes more potent and powerful as one grows older. After we cross the rubicon of our 40th year, and move inexorably forward, the knowledge gradually dawns on us, that our past casts a longer shadow than our future! But life can still be a joy if we have retained the passions of our youth.

For better or for worse, I was never the ambitious kinds. I have never had the urge to be famous or powerful. Or the urge to win the respect or admiration of my peers or society. Although, I have always had the urge to live a comfortable, pampered life!

What has been more important for me, is to have lead an active and vibrant 'inner' life. My life long interest in books, music and cinema has enabled this 'selfish' pursuit!. Most of my memories are connected to a particular music, book or film. The music that I used to listen to and the sensations that it evoked, is still fresh in my mind. I expect several forum members from my generation ( the rebellious, intoxicated 60's and 70's ) would like to board Nostalgia Express in order to dwell on the music of their youth, and what it meant to them. Folks from later generations ( the obedient, hardworking, ambitious and focused 80's and 90's :) ) are also welcome aboard!

Let's share the memories of the music (films and books too, if it is permitted on a music thread) which shaped and molded us, and made us the person we are today.

"For better or for worse, I was never the ambitious kinds. I have never had the urge to be famous or powerful. Or the urge to win the respect or admiration of my peers or society. Although, I have always had the urge to live a comfortable, pampered life! "

"My life long interest in books, music and cinema has enabled this 'selfish' pursuit!"

+1 for me, This is most accurate anybody has ever described myself, Thanks for putting it in words.

Looks like we need to meet personally :)

my contribution to thread

Book : Patton on Leadership, Alan Axelrod ( Precise and accurate advice) and Murder on orient express, Agatha Christie( re read it over and over again)
Movie: Patton and The good, the bad and ugly
Music: Rafi and Kishore

PS: I am 28 so can't tell much about 60s or 70s. Am not obedient, not hardworking , not ambitious and not focused. May be time will teach me these most imp lessons.

For better or for worse, I was never the ambitious kinds. I have never had the urge to be famous or powerful. Or the urge to win the respect or admiration of my peers or society. Although, I have always had the urge to live a comfortable, pampered life!

What has been more important for me, is to have lead an active and vibrant 'inner' life. My life long interest in books, music and cinema has enabled this 'selfish' pursuit!. Most of my memories are connected to a particular music, book or film. ...

This is uncanny! I'd describe myself in the same way. It is good to know there are others who think the same way and approach life the same way, and that I am not particularly alone in being this selfish. :)

This is an apt posting for me as today I strike another milestone in that journey of life. Almost a year back I revived my interest in all things audio thanks to a friend of mine and this forum and its members. I wandered from here to more esoteric forums such as stereophile and diya and so on and in the process built a FR, a Myref and accquired some "give away" turntable and LP's. Till this time my only connection with audio was the snippets of music that I could imbibe in, "time permitting" in my constant residence in those magificient flying machines. Well, that dalliance was all I could afford of music as keeping the fire burning was of prime essence. Well I chucked all that some time back and listened and soaked into music of all genres. That was nirvana. But in that nirvana I used to take tiny peeks into Beatles, Kenny Rogers, Don Williams, Paul McCartney, Dire Straits and Rolling Stones - you guessed it - these were the songs I grew up with. At times I find myself silly as now I have grown out of some of these, but at times they bring back memories of 'those days'. Whatever it may mean. Though still the time has not come for me "to sit back and relax". I would say taking some breaks into the past and engaing in nostalgia will reinvigorate you to face more and newer challenges. A rambling post, but I guess it is called for. Thanks Ajay124 for starting this...Cheers, Gopi

..... the obedient, hardworking, ambitious and focused 80's and 90's ...

errrr..... I 'unfortunately' fall in this category. Was all, as mentioned above, when started out walking "all" by myself in the late 80s.

The apparent change that has happened over the years, is, the 'ambitious' word is no longer present anymore. Me thinks, too many sacrifices have to made for that. Have realized, it is NOT worth it. Very very difficult to get over the heartburns.

Books: once upon a time, murder mysteries ..... English as well as translated Bengali ones (it's a shame and a pity that I can't fluently manage my mother tongue)

Movies: WAR (English)......... have a huge collection even now.

Music: WAS and even now addicted to the Hindi/Bengali 60s - 70s era ones.

oh well.. m still half way through the journey to get into that phase.. but yeah..

kishore,lata and rafi keeps me up and running.
those 80's melodious songs.. oh boy.. i still love em...

I began listening to music at the age of 9/10 in my hometown Simla. My hifi system was a beautifully built Murphy radio!

http://ajithprasad.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/murphy-radio-vintage.jpg

My earliest memories are of tuning into Radio Ceylon to listen to Ameen Sayani/Binaca Geet Mala. I was a Kishore Kumar/ Hemant Kumar/Asha Bhosle fan. I liked a few songs of Rafi and Mukesh. Lata never! A couple of years later, I started listening to western pop music, and my interested in hindi film music gradually tapered off. I must have been 13 going on 14, when I was gifted a Panasonic mono tape recorder.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...FwGg/Panasonic+Cassette+Recorder+1970%27s.jpg

For a long time I had no cassette's to play on it :sad: Finally, with money accumulated from birthdays/visiting relatives, and musical knowledge accumulated from the 'blue' pages of a magazine called JS, I made a trip to the music shops on the Mall :)

First acquisitions!

http://www.recordsale.org/cdpix/c/cliff_richard-im_nearly_famous.jpg
http://image.lyricspond.com/image/n...um-neil-diamond-12-greatest-hits/cd-cover.jpg
http://members.multimania.nl/abbadfs/hpbimg/The Best Of ABBA (1976).jpg
http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carpenters.jpg
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf200/f242/f24204oqzc4.jpg

Those days in Simla, we had a regular 5.15 pm screening of Hollywood films in three halls, Ritz, Rivoli and Regal! The stars I was hooked on were, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. And the films, Where Eagles Dare, The Guns Of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra, Puppet On A Chain, The Great Escape, The Godfather, The French Connection. The Poseidon Adventure, Silver Streak, The Good The Bad The Ugly, Mackenna's Gold and Red Sun.

My real education was the 'literature' I was reading from the Municipal Library, Simla. : Alistair Maclean, Desmond Bagley, Agatha Christie, PG Wodehouse, Earl Stanley Gardner, Mario Puzo, Robert Ludlum, Wilbur Smith, Arthur Hailey, Leon Uris, Harold Robbins....

Last edited:
i got few cassette players as well.. real old i guess 20 yrs old..but i never got em fixed.. i was looking for more technology and now i am running behing em again..

time and passion makes you a diffrent person....

once a boy racer... now back with classic choppers and a die hard hot rod and mopar fans. classic music, beatles and eagles...

lolz i got matured..

1978 was a big year for me. This was the year I was thrown out of the cloistered and protective confines of my convent school, into the outside world. I was never particularly impressed by the education I received in school. For that I preferred the municipal library, which I stated visiting every alternate day from the age of 10/11. But I was completely in love with the school's architecture, classrooms, gardens, playing fields and 'secret' nooks and crannies. I had entered this school at the tender age of 5, and exited at the raw, easily wounded age of 15. In those 11 years, the school had become like a second home. It was a comfortable, protective refuge that I did not want to leave. I did not want to venture out into the big, bad world! The thought of competing for college seats and a career depressed me. All I wanted to do, was to listen to music, watch Hollywood 'escapes' and read and write fiction!

I was heavily influenced by Ayn Rand. Howard Roark, Dagny Taggart, John Galt and Hank Rearden were the the touchstones by which I measured humanity. Needless to say, that when I compared humanity to these supermen and women, I found humanity lacking. Took me a couple of years to realize, that Ayn Rand was not the be all and end all of literature or philosophy. In college I read Crime And Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, Anna Karenina, War And Peace, Madame Bovary, The Red And The Black, Moby Dick, The Scarlet Letter, Point And Counterpoint, L' Etranger and The Trial...... and Ayn Rand's supermen started seeming as 'sketchy' as the comic book Superman and Batman.

My major activity in the 'preparatory' year was was smoking, moping, reading and listening to music. From the golden oldies of Rock'n' Roll and 70's pop, I had moved on to:

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/20588-nbsp_the_beatles.jpg
http://darkaeon.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/queen-e28093-sheer-heart-attack.jpg
http://www.sparksheets.com/Sheet_Music/Hotel-California.jpg
http://personalnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/thedarksideofthemoon.jpg
http://thegreenroombar.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fleetwood-mac-rumours.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6tJHBv82M...AAUc/hjVKPhQXtqo/s1600/Dire_Straits_Album.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa! guys kindly take precaution not to post too much personal details. Ajaybhai you are intelligent and gem of a person and as always this is nice thread, but there are cases frauds lurking in various forums who precisely look for personal information. I think Madbullram had posted an incident in our very own forum where a couple was duped and valuables stolen from their home by a guy who got acquainted with them with such information.

I hope everyone understands and suggestions are taken in right spirit. :)
Regards

Those days in Simla, we had a regular 5.15 pm screening of Hollywood films in three halls, Ritz, Rivoli and Regal! The stars I was hooked on were, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. And the films, Where Eagles Dare, The Guns Of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra, Puppet On A Chain, The Great Escape, The Godfather, The French Connection. The Poseidon Adventure, Silver Streak, The Good The Bad The Ugly, Mackenna's Gold and Red Sun.

....... a few more .... Drums of Fu Manchu, Gunfight at the OK Corral, The Hound of Baskervilles, Chengiz Khan, Omar Mokhtar ........

...... Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster ........

Whoa! guys kindly take precaution not to post too much personal details. Ajaybhai you are intelligent and gem of a person and as always this is nice thread, but there are cases frauds lurking in various forums who precisely look for personal information. I think Madbullram had posted an incident in our very own forum where a couple was duped and valuables stolen from their home by a guy who got acquainted with them with such information.

I hope everyone understands and suggestions are taken in right spirit. :)
Regards

Hiten
I read the madbullram post, and I am in complete agreement with you, that revealing personal information online, should be a complete no no. This is one reason that I have resisted the urge to join any of the social networking sites.

It would be easy to make a fairly accurate profile of a person, his friends, his activities and behaviour, by visiting his Facebook page.

The other reason for not participating on these sites is, that I find the general level of comments on them, appallingly juvenile, monotonous and lacking in imagination or intelligence.

As eyeball count for online content increases, there will be a corresponding decrease in the same, for the print media and television. Many newspapers in the west are shutting shop, and the trend will only grow in the future. I have not bought a 'physical' newspaper for close to four years now. The new frontiers for advertising in the 21st century will be on the world wide web, and the likes of Google, Facebook and Twitter are already staking out the new landscape.

Glad to find another mopar head ;)

which is your fav of the lot? mine is the '69 charger:licklips: the 1st car toy i got as a 4yr old:)

Few hot rods and plymouth cuda 426 big block 8 barrel v8.

oh love those.. sounds.. pity on all the subs..

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back