Upgraded my power cable: A review

corElement

I recently acquired a Triode Wire Labs Seven + power cable which is far more expensive than anyone should have to spend on a power cable but still cheaper than some ridiculous things out there.

It replaced a standard power cable on my setup. I've tried out various standard power cables in the past.

My setup is as follows

1. Supernait 3
2. Chord qutest
3. Wiim Mini
4. Allo Shanti LPSU
5. Jamo Concert 8
6. Bogdan Audio interconnects
7. Supra Ply 3.5 speaker cables

Suffice to say it's not a bad setup.

This is what the TWL 7+ looks like
dazcpxyax58dumv85ihx.jpg

You can look up more details on Google, but for now I'll explain my observations. The immediate and most profound difference compared to regular power cables I noticed was how some musical notes and tones I thought were just tones and notes, revealed themselves to be not a flat tone but actually musical instruments. For example certain tracks which I enjoyed all my life, many notes in them broke up into wind or brass instruments with nuances.

It's as if I could hear the instruments creating the sound rather than just the sound created post creation. It revealed a dimension to music I never thought existed.

But there is a caveat. This ability to reveal the point of origin behind solid tones makes electronic and synth music sound awful, because those tones which have been used to create the beats themselves are getting split into more nuanced versions of themselves. This is the truth of the sound, but if this is the truth of the sound, why do I find myself missing those non nuanced, non transparent, solidified tones.

Have we been listening to music for so long in a 2d presentation that a 3d presentation which is more honest and realistic, is not actually conducive to our enjoyment? Do we want the truth or do we want the nostalgia? These are questions that emerged in my mind.

But one thing is for certain, having a system capable of revealing the truth of music to this degree is a different type of enjoyment. You hear not just the artists but the environment around them as well. Brass instruments in particular have benefited.

The next thing I'm going to try is a power cable upgrade for my DAC, we will see how that goes.

Thank you

...The immediate and most profound difference compared to regular power cables I noticed was how some musical notes and tones I thought were just tones and notes, revealed themselves to be not a flat tone but actually musical instruments. ..
So happy to see this statement. this is what reproduction of richer harmonics does to a system and thats what most upgrades ( not limited to PCs) will keep improving in your setup. If not the Dac where is this new PC connected to ? if on our amp, try smapping and put on the Dac. The Naim usually does best with its own power cord,
The order of impact I have see is always higher up in the chain hence a Transport/DAC get the biggest improvement ,

Specifically on the newer devices for streaming or Computers, there no impact but isolating them from other devices seems to benefit better.

So happy to see this statement. this is what reproduction of richer harmonics does to a system and thats what most upgrades ( not limited to PCs) will keep improving in your setup. If not the Dac where is this new PC connected to ? if on our amp, try smapping and put on the Dac. The Naim usually does best with its own power cord,
The order of impact I have see is always higher up in the chain hence a Transport/DAC get the biggest improvement ,

Specifically on the newer devices for streaming or Computers, there no impact but isolating them from other devices seems to benefit better.
No pc actually. The wiim streamer outputs high resolution optical which goes into the qutest and qutest rca out goes into the amp. Both the dac and the wiim are on the Shanti allo lspu and all are 1 ft away from each other and also sit on their own platforms isolated from each other. I did this after I saw keeping the dac 2 ft away from the amp had an audible impact on the sound.

I have another Triode Wire Labs high power digital power cable for the allo Shanti lpsu but the problem is the cable is so thick I am having trouble fitting it into my workspace 🤣 have to figure out some Jugar!

By PC I meant Power Cord :)
Oh, it's on the naim my bad I forgot to mention. I cant even edit it now 😬

But yes its on the naim. I was using the stock naim cable earlier and I do agree it is quite good, however it did not have this revealing factor of splitting solid tones into transparent environments. I prefer the stock cable for synth and electronic but the twl reveals the truth inside that tone, and I'm not sure if i can handle the truth *Insert jack Nicholson* 🤣

Oh, it's on the naim my bad I forgot to mention. I cant even edit it now 😬

But yes its on the naim. I was using the stock naim cable earlier and I do agree it is quite good, however it did not have this revealing factor of splitting solid tones into transparent environments. I prefer the stock cable for synth and electronic but the twl reveals the truth inside that tone, and I'm not sure if i can handle the truth *Insert jack Nicholson* 🤣
Previously I also used naim stock power cord fitted with adapter for indian socket, later I diy for a aucharm power cord and its definitely a improvement in sound depth, tight and quick bass response, little bit of open the sound.. also try a audio art power cord, very good detail, soften the bass etc.. power cord made difference in every way in my system..

Previously I also used naim stock power cord fitted with adapter for indian socket, later I diy for a aucharm power cord and its definitely a improvement in sound depth, tight and quick bass response, little bit of open the sound.. also try a audio art power cord, very good detail, soften the bass etc.. power cord made difference in every way in my system..
If. It's possible to share your new power cable pitchers & other details sir

which amp?

Couple of months ago, I realised the amount of carbon that gets accumulated on the wall outlet switches, the wall sockets, the MCB switches and amplifier IEC sockets. I had a huge - around 30% to 40% improvement by not changing any thing but just addressing this issue. How you may ask. Do only the following if your setup is more than a year old
- remove and insert IEC socket ( if applicable) from your amp input 5 to 10 times to remove carbon
- repeat the same at wall outlet.
- remove the amplifier socket from wall. Turn your wall outlet switch on-off for 10 to 20 times to decarbon.
- repeat same with amplifier power switches if they are analogue types.
- switch of Main power of your home. Turn MCB on-off for 15 - 20 times and after that Turn them on.

If you are of the courage type, you can dip some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and decarbon all sockets manually too.

After doing all the above settle down and listen to your setup and report back. You may get vast improvement without changing anything but spending around 30 minutes of your time.

The above tip was passed on to me by my mentor @drlowmu couple of months ago and I religiously follow them once in 4 months.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
.. the amount of carbon that gets accumulated on the wall outlet switches, the wall sockets, the MCB switches and amplifier IEC sockets...
If this is the case, I would prefer to replace the Switches in the first place. accumulating of carbon, could mean there is some loose contacts or is in a frequent spark gap territory.

... around 30% to 40% improvement... : I've failed to observe even after changing the Switch/MCBs with new ones. ( of Couse ,this could be because of highly forgiving chain of equipment )

If this is the case, I would prefer to replace the Switches in the first place. accumulating of carbon, could mean there is some loose contacts or is in a frequent spark gap territory.

... around 30% to 40% improvement... : I've failed to observe even after changing the Switch/MCBs with new ones. ( of Couse ,this could be because of highly forgiving chain of equipment )
I don't think Hari's chain of equipment is forgiving. Mine certainly isn't. I also would caution ascribing such a large percentage, but he must be pleased with the performance.

I suspect his low DCR Directly Coupled tube amplifier, with R-Core Power and Output Transformers. is certainly highly revealing. Me personally, I have labored almost all of my adult life, simply to enjoy this type of higher audio resolution.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back