Nostalgia....how many still have these?

I have around 150 tapes dating from 1984 onwards. They all play even now. I have this habit of writing the date and the place of purchase and putting my signature. This was to avoid stealing of my cassettes by hostel mates. What you are seeing is a 36 years old tape, purchased in Silchar, Assam. This is one of those cassette which says
Purchased on 12th May 1986 from HMV, Central Road, Silchar for Rs 36.
Sole property of M.G. Bhangui
© All rights reserved by the owner
img1.jpeg
img2.jpeg
img3.jpeg

Last edited:
I have around 150 tapes dating from 1984. They all play even now. I have this habit of writing the date and the place of purchase and putting my signature. This was to avoid stealing of my cassettes by hostel mates. What you are seeing is a 36 years old tape. This is one of those cassette which says

View attachment 69296
View attachment 69297
View attachment 69298
I too sign the tapes and CDs when I buy and date them. May not be 150, still have quite a few in Abu Dhabi as well as in my apartment in India 😀

Next was this National AFD. Got it in UAE in 1994 when I came on an assignment from my company in India. Impressive for the size. Excellent bass and overall response. Again bashed up by the same person. Works but capstan and belt are worn. Keeping it for my memory.
View attachment 69291

Thanks @Subbu for the photos. Nice to kindle the golden memories. My bad, I forgot to mention the Sony FH-150R Sony FHD-150R.pngwe had for a short while. Both Matsushita electric(National/Panasonic) and Sony were competing for a supermacy in releasing sets with Auto Format Direct (AFD)/ (Sony-a look like Flat diaphragm speaker technology). Finally I hope, Matsushita [National] had won the race. Even I missed to mention the below one which also had short stint... A Yamaha HiFi unit. It came with two big speaker boxes and was a able to produce a sound "BLAST" . yamaha HifiCT520.png, Grandfather started shouting and finally had to sell it...for a Sony CD combo system.... Ofcourse CDs were becoming the next "GoTo"by then

I have around 150 tapes dating from 1984 onwards. They all play even now.
I just counted my tapes. Impressive!! 55 working ones right with me

The good thing is I found some of the babbles of my daughter among them!!! She "spoiled" some of the tapes to record herself on that Sony Walkman above.

Last edited:
I just counted my tapes. Impressive!! 55 working ones right with me

The good thing is I found some of the babbles of my daughter among them!!! She "spoiled" some of the tapes to record herself on that Sony Walkman above.
Not to boast, English, Tamil, Malayalam, Devotional, others etc. put together my personal collection for last 35+ years will be around 600+ tapes and around 50-75 odd ones from my father... Out of these, I might have repeatedly played recently only some 50-70 tapes... All others are lying the cupboard, with lots of curse from my family, for occupying valuable family space....

Not to boast, English, Tamil, Malayalam, Devotional, others etc. put together my personal collection for last 35+ years will be around 600+ tapes and around 50-75 odd ones from my father... Out of these, I might have repeatedly played recently only some 50-70 tapes... All others are lying the cupboard, with lots of curse from my family, for occupying valuable family space....
Wow..... 600 odd tapes.... My goodness. You need a separate house to keep them.

Had a nomadic work for quite sometime so always thought of keeping the load light 😭😭😭 or else could have had more... Maybe I will go and search my father's place for further collection of mine

Wow..... 600 odd tapes.... My goodness. You need a separate house to keep them.

Had a nomadic work for quite sometime so always thought of keeping the load light 😭😭😭 or else could have had more... Maybe I will go and search my father's place for further collection of mine
Kindly do . Form a collector's perspective , these are gems and rare ones. Now very hard to collect as they are not available to pick up in good condition, anywhere.

Kindly do . Form a collector's perspective , these are gems and rare ones. Now very hard to collect as they are not available to pick up in good condition, anywhere.
Guruvayoor had a couple of shops still selling CD and some tapes. I used to pick CDs till 2018 the last time I went there.

Have started seeing tapes in Virgin Megastore here in Abu Dhabi

20220127-121122.jpg

A new one I brought this year

Here's mine @ANILKUMAR , @keith_correa

Oh, yes @ANILKUMAR the local cassette shops used to charge a few rupees to record the songs you chose. Fortunately I had a neighbor with a shop who used to do it free for me. I had to pay only for a blank tape.

It's only my own assets not from family

I got my first job in 1990 and first thing to get a Videocon Radio - Cassette Player (Walkman) Unfortunately no photo on the net

1991 - got this cute little one in silver. Still have it in India but battered by someone who took it from me

View attachment 69290

Next was this National AFD. Got it in UAE in 1994 when I came on an assignment from my company in India. Impressive for the size. Excellent bass and overall response. Again bashed up by the same person. Works but capstan and belt are worn. Keeping it for my memory.
View attachment 69291

Moved back to Chennai and got a Kenwood Tape deck. Again forced to give that same guy who chewed it up and left it for me to repair later. Still perhaps available in India.
View attachment 69292

Moved to UAE in 1998 and the first thing was this impressive ONKYO Midi PTS-707. Dolby Surround 5.0 with AM-FM, 10 CD changer and twin tape deck. That was an overkill due to my misguided thinking HTs were the next thing in audio 😥. should have gone for Onkyo or any other separates.

View attachment 69293

A small addition to record the babbles of my daughter (who now helped with my Amp Camp Amp project :cool: ) . Maybe needs some restoration to make it work

View attachment 69294

Then in 2002 got this Yamaha that is right now playing (photo is a few minutes old playing the venerable Thomson tape with Kishore Da award songs !!) - whew 20 years View attachment 69295
Who's the guy who bashed up all ur earlier stereos. Stop being firends with him. He he

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back