Not able to hear TV audio through speaker

If someone has the patience, please do try these on a non-TCL TV and let us know if it works. Remember, there must be no other connection between the TV and AVR other than HDMI.

Recently I bought Yamaha RX-V585 and setup is like below

1. ACT Fibernet 4K Box is connected to AVR.
2. AVR HDMI ARC output is connected to my LG TV HDMI ARC port. (This is the only connection between TV and AVR)

When i am using Act Box, i was getting sound from AVR. But when i play netflix/amazon prime from my webOS TV , i was not getting sound.
So i checked Yamaha AVR manual and found that need to enable below setting in AVR setup to get TV sound from AVR.

Setting the output of HDMI audio from the TV speaker
Enables/disables audio output from a TV connected to the HDMI OUT jack when “HDMI Control” is set to “Off”.

Setup menu
“HDMI” > “Audio Output” Settings.
Off Disables audio output from the TV.
On Enables audio output from the TV.

By default , HDMI Control setting is OFF in the AVR. After modification, i am getting TV sound from AVR.

Please check once whether you have any such settings in your AVR.

The HDMI Control or, CEC, is set to on on both TV and AVR. I also get sound when I play any video on the TV that is not routed through the TV's HDMI connection. For example, if I play a video on a pen drive or from the streaming sources (similar to your WebOS).

When you should do is to connect a source to the TV's HDMI, and see if the sound from that is routed to the AVR.

The HDMI Control or, CEC, is set to on on both TV and AVR. I also get sound when I play any video on the TV that is not routed through the TV's HDMI connection. For example, if I play a video on a pen drive or from the streaming sources (similar to your WebOS).

When you should do is to connect a source to the TV's HDMI, and see if the sound from that is routed to the AVR.
Hi please correct me if i wrong.I did some research and found that if STB is not supporting CEC then this issue is there.It require CEC less HDMI cable or connector.This will stop STB interference with TV and AVR CEC.

Please understand that when a device does not support CEC, only the control bus (explained below) will not work. It will not affect any other aspect of the HDMI communication. CEC will not stop or disturb audio and video communication. In your case, the STB is a source. What we are trying to resolve here is the ARC between TV and AVR, and this has nothing to do with CEC. Once the audio and video data reaches the TV, what the STB does is meaningless.

For ARC to work properly, the CEC/ARC has to be implemented in Toto by the device. This will mean additional costs in design, testing and manufacture. For example, for the TV to use ARC properly, it should implement a switch for all HDMI connections. As far as I can tell, this has not been done by TCL. As long as you do not disturb the connection between the TV and AVR from the ARC HDMI channels, things work properly. The minute you choose a different HDMI on the TV, the ARC communication is lost. The video is routed to the TV screen, but the audio is not routed to the ARC channel for onward routing to the AVR. As I said before, this needs a hardware and software switch inside the TV.

For Your Information:

CEC is a single wire bus that is built into the HDMI communication. The bus is the basis of automatic control in HDMI interfaced system. Any device that uses HDMI can have CEC built in. When a device does not support CEC, only the control bus will not work. It will not affect any other aspect of the HDMI communication.

The basic technology of CEC is based on the SCART interface that was used originally across many consumer electronic devices. HDMI borrows and improves on this to enable AV products to identify one another and communicate with each other. Upto 10 devices can be controlled through CEC enabled HDMI. For example, if you switch your STB on and play something, it should switch your TV and AVR on, route the video to the TV and the audio to the AVR.

"The CEC protocol includes automatic mechanisms for physical address (topology) discovery, (product type based) logical addressing, arbitration, retransmission, broadcasting, and routing control. Message opcodes support both device specific (e.g. set-top-box, DTV, and player) and general features (e.g. for power, signal routing, remote control pass-through, and on-screen display)."

It is upto the device manufacturer to decide how much of CEC he will implement.

Please understand that when a device does not support CEC, only the control bus (explained below) will not work. It will not affect any other aspect of the HDMI communication. CEC will not stop or disturb audio and video communication. In your case, the STB is a source. What we are trying to resolve here is the ARC between TV and AVR, and this has nothing to do with CEC. Once the audio and video data reaches the TV, what the STB does is meaningless.

For ARC to work properly, the CEC/ARC has to be implemented in Toto by the device. This will mean additional costs in design, testing and manufacture. For example, for the TV to use ARC properly, it should implement a switch for all HDMI connections. As far as I can tell, this has not been done by TCL. As long as you do not disturb the connection between the TV and AVR from the ARC HDMI channels, things work properly. The minute you choose a different HDMI on the TV, the ARC communication is lost. The video is routed to the TV screen, but the audio is not routed to the ARC channel for onward routing to the AVR. As I said before, this needs a hardware and software switch inside the TV.

For Your Information:

CEC is a single wire bus that is built into the HDMI communication. The bus is the basis of automatic control in HDMI interfaced system. Any device that uses HDMI can have CEC built in. When a device does not support CEC, only the control bus will not work. It will not affect any other aspect of the HDMI communication.

The basic technology of CEC is based on the SCART interface that was used originally across many consumer electronic devices. HDMI borrows and improves on this to enable AV products to identify one another and communicate with each other. Upto 10 devices can be controlled through CEC enabled HDMI. For example, if you switch your STB on and play something, it should switch your TV and AVR on, route the video to the TV and the audio to the AVR.

"The CEC protocol includes automatic mechanisms for physical address (topology) discovery, (product type based) logical addressing, arbitration, retransmission, broadcasting, and routing control. Message opcodes support both device specific (e.g. set-top-box, DTV, and player) and general features (e.g. for power, signal routing, remote control pass-through, and on-screen display)."

It is upto the device manufacturer to decide how much of CEC he will implement.
BINGO!! Just what i suspected.Its only because of STB CEC interfering with TV.I have put a small Cello tape on the 13th PIN responsible for CEC in HDMI cable and then attached to STB. Magic happened and sound started coming out of AVR and CEC working like normal.

I would suggest you replace that with an ordinary HDMI cable. Using sellotape on connectors is not advisable.

If there is an audio shop nearby, they will have decent HDMI cables. You don't need anything fancy for regular HDMI cable. Ivanky, Belkin, Bandridge, BlueRigger, Amazon Basics are popular brands.

Let me get this correctly. You had an ARC enabled HDMI connection between the STB and TV?
Venkat - Prashant must have meant CEC enabled HDMI connect between STB and TV. STB typically doesn't fall into ARC device category and no need for implementing the same.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back