nvidia shield tv pro 2019 vs Apple tv 2022

hifimaddy

Hi everyone , during my first home theater purchase journey . I was planned to purchase a 2019 nVidia shield tv pro, but i saw in many forums also here some of them suggesting shield others support apple tv which one will be good of consuming OTT contents and also play files from harddisk. I have no experience on both of them. Is the 2022 apple a better option compared to the 2019 shield ? what you guys think and i would like to know the experience from the current users of both the products .

( i am planning to get it from europe so i both are almost the same price range )

thanks
vishnu

Hi everyone , during my first home theater purchase journey . I was planned to purchase a 2019 nVidia shield tv pro, but i saw in many forums also here some of them suggesting shield others support apple tv which one will be good of consuming OTT contents and also play files from harddisk. I have no experience on both of them. Is the 2022 apple a better option compared to the 2019 shield ? what you guys think and i would like to know the experience from the current users of both the products .

( i am planning to get it from europe so i both are almost the same price range )

thanks
vishnu
If you plan to use OTT streaming content often, ATV is your choice. Infact the latest one is much affordable as well.

Kodi can be installed on ATV as well for local content or streaming from Torrents

which one will be good of consuming OTT contents and also play files from harddisk. I have no experience on both of them. Is the 2022 apple a better option compared to the 2019 shield ?
It’s not even up to a debate as shield is the best to play files from hard disk. Only for OTT contents Apple TV is a better choice.Get both if budget is no barrier. Shield is not supporting 5.1 audio from zee5 where as apple is supporting 5.1 and atmos.

If you plan to use OTT streaming content often, ATV is your choice. Infact the latest one is much affordable as well.

Kodi can be installed on ATV as well for local content or streaming from Torrents
Sorry for hijacking @hifimaddy. @ankitbhargava I thought there is no straight forward method and not supported to install KODI in apple tv, remember reading in their wiki. Am i wrong?

If you need to play bdrips from external HD, shield is the best way to go... ATV doesnt support usb drives. As for OTT both works similar except ATV supports refresh rate switching if you need that, where as It's still in beta mode in shield. But as per my experience, refresh rate switching in OTT doesnt make much of a difference that they make in bluray rips as OTT video bitrate is always low and compressed and 24p Judder is hardly noticeable

It’s not even up to a debate as shield is the best to play files from hard disk. Only for OTT contents Apple TV is a better choice.Get both if budget is no barrier. Shield is not supporting 5.1 audio from zee5 where as apple is supporting 5.1 and atmos.
Thank you . i am not sure i can buy both at a same time , but if i get it in a great deal definitely i will consider this

If you need to play bdrips from external HD, shield is the best way to go... ATV doesnt support usb drives. As for OTT both works similar except ATV supports refresh rate switching if you need that, where as It's still in beta mode in shield. But as per my experience, refresh rate switching in OTT doesnt make much of a difference that they make in bluray rips as OTT video bitrate is always low and compressed and 24p Judder is hardly noticeable
my main concern is to play dolby atmos from OTT streaming platforms and to play files from hard disk.

Is even possible to get nVidia Shield pro officially India?
nope, most economical option is to have a relative/friend/acquaintance get it from US (Amazon, newegg, eBay, etc). Pro is for $200(plus 6% tax) while the tube is ~$140

another great aspect of the shield is the remote and its configurability. It has a built in IR blaster for controlling TV or AVR. Shield is also compatible with universal remotes like harmony and sofabaton. ATV is a much more closed off product.

also no DTS support in ATV (apparently)

Last edited:
Fire stick is more affordable and I would definitely like to buy one even today but I am not sure it will support Dolby Atmos on all streaming platforms.
Fire stick supports Dolby upto 7.1/Atmos/Dolby vision/HDR10+ on all streaming apps.

Nvidia is not supporting zee5/aha Dolby 5.1/Atmos, it's only stereo(2.0) output.

Iam using nvidia shield tv pro ,zee5/aha not supporting Dolby on shield tv.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back