Observations on the DACs of CDPs & DVDPs

Actually both - like using surround sound receiver for 2 channel listening :)
Nothing personal Saurabh - just enjoying while letting the opinions soak in, rather than getting washed away by them, or completely rejecting them.

It may be true that electronics get burnt in, but it may also be a psycho acoustic thing.

regards

ANm do you actually want someone's opinion or just are enjoying a round of innuendos.

I did visit Guns yesterday and he played a track from Minsaara Kanavu on his budget Philips DVD via Rotel amp and JBL speakers. The difference was indeed night and day when compared to others places/sources/setups I have heard the same tracks played over the years which have mainly been mid-fi systems, PCs, etc.

Guns, (I think) your Philips DVDP is connected via digital out so all processing is done at the amp end and not the CDP or in this case the DVDP hence probably no difference between the Philips and the Denon if both were using a digital out to the amp (at least that's what I am assuming so correct me if I am wrong).

The system at the time of testing was different from the setup you heard yesterday. At that point i was using Proton pre and power pro models. the pre had AB switch so i could use two source at the same time hence the test was done. i later changed the setup as my speakers were very power hungry and needed atleast 400w per channel so picked up two identical Rotel power amp and did a vertical bi-amp configuration thus giving enough head room for the speakers. Even this setup is supposed to be not as good as these speakers perform best with Bryston amps and i have no budget to buy them.
Regarding % i am no audiophile so just from an understanding point of view from a lay man terms i used them. further i once auditioned a Marantz 5000 series (dont remember the model #)one step above 5001 to Cambridge 840 cdp at a dealer point the difference if i need to express in lay man terms was like Marantz was half a circle and Cambridge was full circle, again the question arises whats half cirle and full circle in Audiophile but like i said earlier as lay man expression i felt 100% difference in SQ. later i read an article from audio critic saying that there is no difference between ordinary cdp and expensive one its only the quality of electronics and features that determine the price, so to check this i did a test of sacd vs dvdp and found no difference but still have doubts on the dealer how he managed to show me this difference in SQ. hope i have answered the queries raised and further inputs from more learned in this feild would be much appreciated.

Did you compare to another source in that setup?
BTW, which was night and which was day, and which was better? Do you prefer night over days or otherwise :)

regards

Nope, did not compare with another source. Will be doing that during the coming weeks so will keep you posted.

which rotels, and at what price? Are they bridgeable?
By vertical bi-amping, I assume u mean one rotel for one speaker. Is that correct understanding?

So do you have active x-over for your speakers or use passive ones inside the speakers?

regards

The system at the time of testing was different from the setup you heard yesterday. At that point i was using Proton pre and power pro models. the pre had AB switch so i could use two source at the same time hence the test was done. i later changed the setup as my speakers were very power hungry and needed atleast 400w per channel so picked up two identical Rotel power amp and did a vertical bi-amp configuration thus giving enough head room for the speakers. Even this setup is supposed to be not as good as these speakers perform best with Bryston amps and i have no budget to buy them.
Regarding % i am no audiophile so just from an understanding point of view from a lay man terms i used them. further i once auditioned a Marantz 5000 series (dont remember the model #)one step above 5001 to Cambridge 840 cdp at a dealer point the difference if i need to express in lay man terms was like Marantz was half a circle and Cambridge was full circle, again the question arises whats half cirle and full circle in Audiophile but like i said earlier as lay man expression i felt 100% difference in SQ. later i read an article from audio critic saying that there is no difference between ordinary cdp and expensive one its only the quality of electronics and features that determine the price, so to check this i did a test of sacd vs dvdp and found no difference but still have doubts on the dealer how he managed to show me this difference in SQ. hope i have answered the queries raised and further inputs from more learned in this feild would be much appreciated.

which rotels, and at what price? Are they bridgeable?
By vertical bi-amping, I assume u mean one rotel for one speaker. Is that correct understanding?

So do you have active x-over for your speakers or use passive ones inside the speakers?

regards

Rotel RB-980BX used amps(no money for new)bridgeable but i cant do as my speakers are 4ohms load. Yes vertical means one amp for one speaker and passive x-over ones inside the speaker.

cranky - you mean caps take good time to get drunk on the power supply and then they make the music more enjoyable :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back