Old flagship home theater lying around ...options ???

Damonrenk

It is a LG home theater purchased almost 13 years ago, it was a pricey flagship series back in those days which has 5.1 Dolby/DTS audio. I never used it to full potential because of compatibility issues with regional DVD back then before this Internet era and i used to be that kid without much exposure to tech. Currently, I'm hesitating to invest in any new home theater as I'll be relocating to different country probably very soon. So i need some options to incarnate my old setup for the time being.

Tech available-

5 speakers (2 front main speakers obviously)
1 LG advanced DVD player cum amplifier which came with HT setup
1 Pagaria DVD player (added by me few years back because incompatibility of DVDs in home)
Sony TV - 4 HDMI ARC ports, NO optical port
MI TV 4 - 3 HDMI ARC ports, 1 co ax port
Laptops obviously

Most depressing thing in this LG home theater setup is lack of optical IN port for amplifier to connect any external device like TV to Home theater
It has as an Optical OUT port.... *Who would keep a Optical OUT port for home theater(RIP LG)
It has AUX IN for front 2 speakers, currently i'm using just there front 2 speakers in stereo because lack of digital connectivity in this model
Pagaria DVD player is a 2.0 channel amplifier (Just in case for info)

So what are my options now ?? How can i use those 5 speakers and LG amplifier
U can suggest any low cost basic upgrades because it is just temporary setup for few months

So what are my options now ?? How can i use those 5 speakers and LG amplifier
U can suggest any low cost basic upgrades because it is just temporary setup for few months

Could you share the LG model # here and speaker model # (usually at the back) to check feasibility of using with other devices / AVR..

1 LG advanced DVD player cum amplifier which came with HT setup
1 Pagaria DVD player (added by me few years back because incompatibility of DVDs in home)

If you still use the DVD discs to play, then one of those DVD players could be used.. But they will restrict the connectivity options.. They must either have component / composite outputs, but only if your TV's can take these inputs..

If you have more digital files (Blue Ray Rips), then an Android Tv box may be a better addition for ease of playback..

Sony TV - 4 HDMI ARC ports, NO optical port
MI TV 4 - 3 HDMI ARC ports, 1 co ax port

Most premium model TV would have 3 ~ 4 HDMI inputs & 1 HDMI port would be with ARC function..

Could you share the LG model # here and speaker model # (usually at the back) to check feasibility of using with other devices / AVR..

If you still use the DVD discs to play, then one of those DVD players could be used.. But they will restrict the connectivity options.. They must either have component / composite outputs, but only if your TV's can take these inputs..

If you have more digital files (Blue Ray Rips), then an Android Tv box may be a better addition for ease of playback..

Most premium model TV would have 3 ~ 4 HDMI inputs & 1 HDMI port would be with ARC function..

1. LG FFH- DV55. >>6 ohm speakers afaik.
I think comparability is not an issue here.

2.I'm not looking for playback of discs atm.

3. Mi TV 4 is pretty much capable for all digital files and i prefer using laptop for more advanced playbacks like HDR, vp9 etc and HDCP 2.2

4. Old Sony TV has 3 HDMI 1.4 ARC and 1 normal HDMI input luckily
I think MI tv 4 has 1 or 2 HDMI 2.0b ARC port/s

1. LG FFH- DV55. >>6 ohm speakers afaik.
I think comparability is not an issue here.

Right.. Depending on your maximum budget, you can consider reusing these speakers with used/ new AVR.. Most older AVR have optical & co-axial inputs, which you can connect to your TV (or) an AVR with HDMI will save you the connectivity options..

2.I'm not looking for playback of discs atm.

3. Mi TV 4 is pretty much capable for all digital files and i prefer using laptop for more advanced playbacks like HDR, vp9 etc and HDCP 2.2

Ok..so you have source for playback of movies....

4. Old Sony TV has 3 HDMI 1.4 ARC and 1 normal HDMI input luckily
I think MI tv 4 has 1 or 2 HDMI 2.0b ARC port/s

Usually of the many HDMI ports aval in TV, one of the HDMI port on the TV would be labelled as ARC.. My 5 yrs old Sony TV/ Panasonic TV had this labelled..But if your TV has more than one ARC port, then fine..

Right.. Depending on your maximum budget, you can consider reusing these speakers with used/ new AVR.. Most older AVR have optical & co-axial inputs, which you can connect to your TV (or) an AVR with HDMI will save you the connectivity options..

As a temporary option, can i get an AVR below 10k price range which just gives 5.1 audio because i don't want to invest a lot for it to be future proof as i wont be carrying any of these when i relocate. Just need some AVR and woofer which is capable to amplify the sound well for few months.

As a temporary option, can i get an AVR below 10k price range which just gives 5.1 audio because i don't want to invest a lot for it to be future proof as i wont be carrying any of these when i relocate. Just need some AVR and woofer which is capable to amplify the sound well for few months.

Yes.. You should be able to find an AVR in 10K either in Forum classifieds section (or) thru OLX in your city/town.. Used AVR from FM is more reliable than the OLX route..

For the subwoofer, if you don't want to spend much, you can get an used HTIB active subwoofer for an other 10K or less from the classifieds section (or) thru OLX..

Yes, a receiver would get you on track. However, I would not trust an old receiver costing under 10k. It could either be too old with tired horses inside or repaired to jugad levels.

Since you are looking for a temporary setup, how about picking this Pyle COMPACT 5.1 CHANNEL BLUETOOTH AMPLIFIER? This would surely get you running right away. If you don't like it, you could always return it or in future use it in your bedroom setup utilizing that Bluetooth input.

MaShPyle.JPG

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back