Omega Super 8 Alnico

moktan

A few years ago when I sought for a speaker recommendation from Mr Vinnie Rossi the designer of my amplifier he suggested that I look at the Omegas.
Unfortunately although Mr Louis Chacos the gentleman behind these speakers was very helpful, importing it from the US , at least to me seemed prohibitively expensive. Raindrop audio had them in Asia but the helpful correspondent from that concern said buying it from Singapore would be even more expensive. I therefore dropped the idea but did not stop looking.
There was one speaker available in this forum but the owner needed it to be picked from Bangalore which wasn't possible for me.
Then my luck suddenly turned and the Omega Super 8 with Alnico drivers became available here in this forum from a Kolkata location.
The fact that Mr Sridhar Reddy (from whom I bought my amp and DAC) had asked Mr Rakshit to enquire about it with the intent to buy it himself said enough about the quality of the speakers in question.
Finally I clinched the deal with Mr Suman Home Roy. Apart from the speakers I was also purchased the custom made stands and the cables.
After a delay caused by the flood in North Bengal and the ongoing political unrest I finally landed the speakers.
The speakers were well crated and came in very good condition.
I tested them with a variety of music. I immediately noticed it was a significant upgrade over my Audire Callistoes that have a rear loaded horn configuration with fostex drivers. Although it was very good with a limited variety of music - wind instrumements , female vocals especially , it had that certain shouty harshness that made it sound a tad unrefined. Also it did not deliver the goods with Rock music.
The Omega is more versatile. Besides the usual jazz I threw some Rock music at it. REM, Springsteen, Travelling Willburies , Dire Straits etc. The sound is refined underpinned by a tight bass. I also played the Chesky Demo discs Vol 2, The Ultimate Demo disc , the BW audiophile recordings , the JVC xrcd Victor Feldman, Macintosh Audiophile Test Refrence etc and they all sounded good. I am not very good with audiophile vocabulary but suffice to mention that the system gave good resultion and soundstage. For the first time I got a sense of the speaker singing from a height , the sense of space between the drum and the other instruments etc. It has adequate power too for my listening preferences.
I have placed these speakers slightly toed in about three feet from the side walls with about 8 feet between them. Initially the treble sounded a bit harsh and the bass boomy. The bass boom has been mitigated by having that space between the speaker and the walls. The treble harshness is being tamed.
Overall I am quite happy with the purchase and think the enhanced quality of my listening pleasures justify the money spent.
My listening room is about 18 feet wide , 25 feet long and 9 feet high. The ceiling and sidewalks are wood.
I play music from a Lenovo Precision 4700 laptop.
Interacting with Mr Roy has been a pleasure. He took significant care with the packing and followed up with the courier guys especially when delivery got delayed due to the aforementioned reasons.
He was also very upfront about the ownership history about these speakers ( I am the third in the ownership chain), who paid how much and when.
I will post some pictures when I get the time to do so.
Thank you for reading.

Congratulations! Have read very good reviews about Omega speakers - though being single driver speakers, they do have their limitations. Great to know that these are working well for you. What is the amp that you are using? Some photographs will be nice

Meanwhile, enjoy your new speakers....

fd91bf1129a46c583d5edf7e086ede22.jpg

Please don't mind the hasty arrangement of the potted plants. Not looking nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moktan, very nice looking

Just check what kind of stands do Omega recommend? I am not sure if what you have is optimal. Also if possible, use a much larger rug on the floor since there is a lot of windows in the room and hence reflection could be an issue

Last edited:
Thanks. I have some rugs lying around which I will use. Omega recommends Skylan stands. Mr Roy had these stands made after consultation with other speaker owners. But will see what I can do to improve on it. And yes the room needs a significant amount of work.

Fantastic to see the speakers have a new home and an owner who appreciate the value and musicality of this great piece of work... congratulations sir..keep enjoying the music

Ah.. I have been telling people to pick these up when they came on sale. Good to see them at the right kind of home. Enjoy !!

Frankly, won't need ANY music if I am to have this kinda background! wow ..
True...the landscape is so beautiful...it caught attention immediately...and while i was reading the thread one by one, was thinking to write about it ...but saw people already attracted and written about it.. [emoji5]

Sent from Note5

Wow perhaps the best listening room in the forum, scenic beauty wise, not to mention the clean air and moderate natural temperature. I am sure music sounds great in that room regardless of absence of room treatments etc.
cheers,
Sid

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back