Onkyo 3400 + Jamo S426 Towers [NEED HELP]

josh4u

Hi,

I am planning to buy a AV Reciever & Speakers for 50k. I wanted tower speakers as well, but i was not getting any good offers for the budget.

Finally a dealer suggested me to get the Onkyo 3400 HTiB with Jamo S426 Tower pair. I wanted to know the expert suggestions on this combination.

My initial choice was - Option #1
1. JAMO S 426 HCS3 Speaker Package
2. JAMO SUB 210 SUB WOOFER
3. ONKYO TX SR 309 AV RECIEVER

which came to around 60k

The alternative they suggested was - Option #2
1. JAMO S426 TOWER SPEAKERS
2.ONKYO HTS 3400 PACKAGE
which comes to around 44k

After after that i can get the rest of the Speakers & Sub of Jamo at a later point.

So let me know if the 2nd options is a good one and is the reciever with 3400 package as good as the TX-SR309 receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Onkyos i hear are good for movies... i auditioned a 3300 with full intentions of buying it last year..
When i heard the demo i just kept my money in my pocket.. dont go for a htib if you are in it for the long haul go for a 2.1 setup with quality components.. so option 1 seems to be a better option.. coz 3400 will be a serious letdown when it comes to music..
Cheers
K

Onkyos i hear are good for movies... i auditioned a 3300 with full intentions of buying it last year..
When i heard the demo i just kept my money in my pocket.. dont go for a htib if you are in it for the long haul go for a 2.1 setup with quality components.. so option 1 seems to be a better option.. coz 3400 will be a serious letdown when it comes to music..
Cheers
K

Even i think HTiB package will not be as good as a good 5.1 custom setup. That's why i was thinking of getting the 3400 HTiB with Jamo S426 Towers initially & I can throw away the HTiB speakers one by one and have a good speaker & sub setup slowly. My question was, is the 3400 receiver as good as ONKYO TX SR 309?

The 3400 avr wont support a powered sub the 309 will .. so getting the 3400 will eliminate the possibility of a powered sub on your setup... now if you are not bass hungry thats fine btw wats ur music movie ratio?

HTS 3400 Receiver will NOT drive Jamo Floor Speakers. You may need 'Integrated Amp' for such floor speakers.

onkyo 3400 is a very good entry level htib.
sound quality is boom for movies . i think it costs around 20-22,000 rs know in market. i have taken 3400 a year ago , perfectly working ok. satisfied with the bass quality too. whats ur room size ? it has hdmi ver 1.4a also.
if u r more towards music then i recomend a 2 ch stereo amp. with decent spks. is a good option. did u auditioned the jamo spks with 3400.?
what diff did u get with original spks & the jamo brand?
will it b a matching pair?
bye best of luck..

The 3400 avr wont support a powered sub the 309 will .. so getting the 3400 will eliminate the possibility of a powered sub on your setup... now if you are not bass hungry thats fine btw wats ur music movie ratio?

My need is mostly for movies (Maybe 70-30).
So the receiver with 3400 wont support the JAMO SUB 210 SUB WOOFER?

I've been trying to look at the specifications of both the receivers (the one with 3400 & TX-SR309). Since I'm completely clueless, it would be really helpful if someone can look at the specifications and help me in the right direction.

onkyo 3400 is a very good entry level htib.
sound quality is boom for movies . i think it costs around 20-22,000 rs know in market. i have taken 3400 a year ago , perfectly working ok. satisfied with the bass quality too. whats ur room size ? it has hdmi ver 1.4a also.
if u r more towards music then i recomend a 2 ch stereo amp. with decent spks. is a good option. did u auditioned the jamo spks with 3400.?
what diff did u get with original spks & the jamo brand?
will it b a matching pair?
bye best of luck..

I have not auditioned it yet, they said the would let me know once they had it setup and i can hear the demo. From what the dealer said, they are a matching pair, but for selling those products, dealers will say anything. Thats why i wanted to know the opinion of the experts here.

I've been trying to look at the specifications of both the receivers (the one with 3400 & TX-SR309). Since I'm completely clueless, it would be really helpful if someone can look at the specifications and help me in the right direction.

The reciever with 3400 wont support the jamo sub210 as its an active sub.

Onkyo 3400 is an excellent stand alone HTIB both for movies and music..But if you want to try other speakers then you should chose Onkyo 309 AV Receiver and do not go for 3400. It has sub pre-out to add a powered sub woofer. Besides it has all the features you would look for.

Attachments

• txsr309_fr_300_610x219.jpg
    txsr309_fr_300_610x219.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 75
  • tx-sr309_re-big.jpg
    tx-sr309_re-big.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 76
Onkyo 3400 is an excellent stand alone HTIB both for movies and music..But if you want to try other speakers then you should chose Onkyo 309 AV Receiver and do not go for 3400. It has sub pre-out to add a powered sub woofer. Besides it has all the features you would look for.
Excellence i suppose is a relative term.. but i didnt find much to write home about for the 3300.it may have changed for the 3400 but listening to it i felt misguided... it had rave reviews last year and everyone was buying it... maybe my audition conditions were bad
But i expect 22k to.provide better sound than the tv speakers...

Excellence i suppose is a relative term.. but i didnt find much to write home about for the 3300.it may have changed for the 3400 but listening to it i felt misguided... it had rave reviews last year and everyone was buying it... maybe my audition conditions were bad
But i expect 22k to.provide better sound than the tv speakers...

You are comparing Onkyo's sound with normal tv speakers? So strange!!!!
I have auditioned 3400 (ofcourse it was properly placed in a av room and calibrated) and have found sound quality awesome. Yes its awesome/excellent whatever good terms I wish to describe. I am really blown out with its sound producing capabilities. It does not have powered sub woofer but after listening to it I dont think there is any need of it as the bass is enough thunderous and tight. It can play music very well too. I have listened to it too. I think people simply expect a 25K machine to act like a 1 Lac rupees costly sound instrument. Thats it..Onkyo 3400 is indeed an excellent value for money home theatre.

This is my observation about Onkyo 3400, rest different people different taste!

Cheers..

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back