onkyo 606 arrived but ?

manu4panjab

hey bros.

today my onkyo 606 arrived but there's some problem

when i first connect everything in 5.1 manner with automatic calibration everything sounds superb but after 20 to 25 minutes all of my speakers produce humming noise why is it so

i then unplug the cable for 5 minutes then again i play now there's no humming
but i'm kinda scared if humming comes again then :sad: does humming cause any damage to my speakers

why is it coming and how to cure it?

and one more thing when i go to menu there's speaker impedance selection but only 4ohms and 6 ohms no 8ohms setting so where to set it as my polks are 8ohms

please reply

here's pic. of it,its actually in golden colour but picture taken from mobile don't do the justice ,its look sexy in golden colour :cool:

Mypics871.jpg

:cool::cool:

Last edited:
This cld be if vol is very high & lot of heat produced by AVR.
Secondly as you r driving Towers,they need more power & 606 pumps only 90w/ch.

search on the forum - humming could be due to ground loop, issue in yoru AVR etc. They are ways to fix this issue - some on your own and some at the dealer.

First switch off A/C, fridge, fan etc. and see if this occurs. Otherwise, does this happen when you disconnect all equipment from your circuit except AVR and speakers. If yes, you may want to start from one channel and go through everyone as to which one is causing it. Then we can take it from there.

For the humming issue, please check the following:

1. That all your speaker cables are connected properly - positive to positive and negative to negative.

2. That your AVR and all systems connected to the AVR are earthed properly.

For your speaker impedance:

1. If you speakers are more than 4 ohms but less than 6 ohms, set them at 4 ohms.

2. If they are between 6 and 16 ohms, set them at 6 ohms.

This is explained in page 42 of the manual.

Cheers

thanks for your reply bros.

i have fond that when i'm directly connect onkyo 606 to wall outlet then there's humming and when i connect it to v-gaurd stabilizer humming gone

iand one more thing i found on interenet is that onkyo 606 humming problem causing mainly by using ps3 with it when set the audio output mode to lpcm

i also face the same above lpcm problem when i'm playing dark knight first there's no sound and when i change bitstream to lpcm there' sound but humming

and also i have to deselect aac audio format coz when i select aac ausio format no sound coming and when i deselect it sound comes but with humming

so basically its ps3 issues with 606 thank god that i don't use blu ray movies coz by using blu ray movies you have to select lpcm for hd sound
so i guess i can live with that and also i first use two pin socket directly to wall outlet which causes hum i guess because now i'm connected it with three pin socket so i guess it is now properly earthed

and above all i got superb sound with tight and punchy bass the more i raise the volume the better it sounds my polks comes alive now

so i found humming comes by bad electricity power and also ps3 issues especially with 606

Last edited:
Congratulations Manu...nice to know the issue with 606.

Dear Experts,

I am currently in US and bought a 606 for $290 USD :yahoo:. My equipment in Hyderabad would be:

>> Onkyo TX-SR606
>> Philips dvp5986k/98 DVD player
>> 32" Sony Bravia lcd klv32s400a TV

I'll shop for speakers once I am in Hyd. I already have an inclination on polks and Wharfedales (2 way speaker towers). But will decide only after auditioning. Yes, I am building up the HT starting with Towers and slowly center, subwoofer, rear surrounds etc...

I have few questions regarding video connection.
Basically, I am planning to connect my dvd ==> avr ==> tv using HDMI cables instead of many clumsy wires.

What I want to know is, will this connection involve any upscaling (Sony is 1080i not p and my dvd has hdmi port)?

I have read many online reviews about 606 that its picture quality is poor after upscaling. But when used "through" setting then picture quality is clean.

Now what is that "through" setting?

Can I connect dvd ==> avr using HDMI cable and avr ==> TV using composite/component ? will this be a problem?

Onkyo owners with similar config....please help me. After coming to hyd with such a huge monster in my suitcase, I don't want to regret saying "what a waste of money and suitcase space and customs tension:p"...

By now many of you might have a basic understanding that I am a newbie and knew zilch about hifi stuff:D...and YES is my answer..I am actually confused:eek: that what connections would work out good for the above mentioned equipment.

Please my friends...help me

Edit: Also, if this not the thread to post this question, then pls suggest me a thread where I can pull many members' responses.

Last edited:
Congratulations Manu...nice to know the issue with 606.

Dear Experts,

I am currently in US and bought a 606 for $290 USD :yahoo:. My equipment in Hyderabad would be:

>> Onkyo TX-SR606
>> Philips dvp5986k/98 DVD player
>> 32" Sony Bravia lcd klv32s400a TV

I'll shop for speakers once I am in Hyd. I already have an inclination on polks and Wharfedales (2 way speaker towers). But will decide only after auditioning. Yes, I am building up the HT starting with Towers and slowly center, subwoofer, rear surrounds etc...

I have few questions regarding video connection.
Basically, I am planning to connect my dvd ==> avr ==> tv using HDMI cables instead of many clumsy wires.

What I want to know is, will this connection involve any upscaling (Sony is 1080i not p and my dvd has hdmi port)?

I have read many online reviews about 606 that its picture quality is poor after upscaling. But when used "through" setting then picture quality is clean.

Now what is that "through" setting?

Can I connect dvd ==> avr using HDMI cable and avr ==> TV using composite/component ? will this be a problem?

Onkyo owners with similar config....please help me. After coming to hyd with such a huge monster in my suitcase, I don't want to regret saying "what a waste of money and suitcase space and customs tension:p"...

By now many of you might have a basic understanding that I am a newbie and knew zilch about hifi stuff:D...and YES is my answer..I am actually confused:eek: that what connections would work out good for the above mentioned equipment.

Please my friends...help me

Edit: Also, if this not the thread to post this question, then pls suggest me a thread where I can pull many members' responses.

thanks bro

pass through means that receiver won't touch any upscale and send the source dorect to tv or projector ,you have to select pass through in onkyo menu

as far as 606 i'm superbly happy with its performance ,it has tight bass,punchy high and great wide soundstage

so best of luck brother

Thanks my brother.

So I can connect DVD==>AVR==>TV by HDMI cables and do no upscaling if necessary?

I know I am asking silly and stupid questions:eek:

manu

first check if the onkyo serial number ends with B
second see if you have the latest copy of the ps3
third check if the speaker wires not interwound with the power lines

the fact remains that I have connected my ps2/ps3 to onkyo 606 to panny pv8 and two different speaker sets (alternately between 5.1 and stereo speakers) - i am yet to see any hum. Just see that there are no loose connections anywire in the circuit and everything is properly grounded.

manu

first check if the onkyo serial number ends with B
second see if you have the latest copy of the ps3
third check if the speaker wires not interwound with the power lines

the fact remains that I have connected my ps2/ps3 to onkyo 606 to panny pv8 and two different speaker sets (alternately between 5.1 and stereo speakers) - i am yet to see any hum. Just see that there are no loose connections anywire in the circuit and everything is properly grounded.

thanks suprateep
no my onkyo 606 serial number don't end with b

by the way my 606 is working superbly now there's no hum now at all brother

:)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back