onkyo 606 upconversion?

manu4panjab

hey bros.

my onkyo 606 will be arriving on wednesday

so i want to know if i use hdmi cable with it to upconversion to 720p for my ps3 as my projector only supports 1280x720p resolution

so is it advantage over projector and does onkyo 606 only pass through hdmi or both audio and video on hdmi connection

also can i use dts hd and dolby true hd by optical cable or is it use only with hdmi cable

hey bros.

so i want to know if i use hdmi cable with it to upconversion to 720p for my ps3 as my projector only supports 1280x720p resolution

so is it advantage over projector and does onkyo 606 only pass through hdmi or both audio and video on hdmi connection

also can i use dts hd and dolby true hd by optical cable or is it use only with hdmi cable

Manu there is a difference between the term upconversion and upscaling and here you are asking for the later. In your case since your avr is capable of upscaling analogue sources upto 1080i but in the case of PS3 which has a better scaler inbuilt than your amp so in your case if you connect Ps3 with your amp via HDMI then it would simply passthrough the signal and would send it to projector as it is.

If you want to enjoy HD audio form your PS3 then you will have to connect it through HDMI only which would pass both audio and video with just one cable and optical doesn't have the capability to carry high resolution audio at the required bandwidth.

Manu there is a difference between the term upconversion and upscaling and here you are asking for the later. In your case since your avr is capable of upscaling analogue sources upto 1080i but in the case of PS3 which has a better scaler inbuilt than your amp so in your case if you connect Ps3 with your amp via HDMI then it would simply passthrough the signal and would send it to projector as it is.

If you want to enjoy HD audio form your PS3 then you will have to connect it through HDMI only which would pass both audio and video with just one cable and optical doesn't have the capability to carry high resolution audio at the required bandwidth.

please don't mind yaar
so how to enjoy hd audio i mean i don't understand first you said if i connect only rhorugh hdmi to avr then it only passthrough signal and then you said if i want to enjoy hd audio then connect to hdmi cable

i mean please clarify

please don't mind yaar
so how to enjoy hd audio i mean i don't understand first you said if i connect only rhorugh hdmi to avr then it only passthrough signal and then you said if i want to enjoy hd audio then connect to hdmi cable

i mean please clarify

It will passthrough video without scaling it up or down and would use the sound signal for your amp to either process or simply send it to each channel to play.
Here if you use bitstream in your PS3 then you would ask your amp to decode but if you select LPCM in Ps3 then your amp would simply send the signal to respective channels. As PS3 is not capable of transmiting HD audio in Raw format therefore it is suggested that if you want to enjoy High resoultion audio capabilities through Ps3 then you have to decode the same in Ps3 and send the same to your amp as LPCM.

It will passthrough video without scaling it up or down and would use the sound signal for your amp to either process or simply send it to each channel to play.
Here if you use bitstream in your PS3 then you would ask your amp to decode but if you select LPCM in Ps3 then your amp would simply send the signal to respective channels. As PS3 is not capable of transmiting HD audio in Raw format therefore it is suggested that if you want to enjoy High resoultion audio capabilities through Ps3 then you have to decode the same in Ps3 and send the same to your amp as LPCM.

so mmmm i can use hdmi cable for both audio and video

so i f use hdmi cable is it won't upconvert to 720p as match to my projector reslution

so what you suggest me to do

i mean from what i understand is i can use one hmdi from ps3 out to onkyo 606 hdmi in and then us another cable from onkyo 606 hdmi out to my projector hdmi in

is that right

so mmmm i can use hdmi cable for both audio and video

so i f use hdmi cable is it won't upconvert to 720p as match to my projector reslution

so what you suggest me to do

i mean from what i understand is i can use one hmdi from ps3 out to onkyo 606 hdmi in and then us another cable from onkyo 606 hdmi out to my projector hdmi in

is that right

yes thats right and set the optput resolution in ps3 to match your pj

hey manu, the 606 has Faroudja DCDi for de-interlacing, so it should presumably do a better job of the de-interlacing than your projector, assuming scaling capabilities are similar. Try out both, giving your projector the raw 576i signal and letting it de-interlace and scale, and giving the projector de-interlaced and scaled 720p from the Onkyo. I suspect the Onkyo will do a better job.

hey bros.

hey manu, the 606 has Faroudja DCDi for de-interlacing, so it should presumably do a better job of the de-interlacing than your projector, assuming scaling capabilities are similar. Try out both, giving your projector the raw 576i signal and letting it de-interlace and scale, and giving the projector de-interlaced and scaled 720p from the Onkyo. I suspect the Onkyo will do a better job.

thanks for reply brother

can you please tell me what is de-interlace

when television broadcasts were originally started, due to bandwidth and technology constraints the picture was shown in an interlaced manner. Basically if the picture had 480 lines, one moment it would show the 240 even lines, and the next moment it would show the 240 odd lines, thereby composing a full picture (due to the very tiny time gap between each such switch). standard definition video (including DVD and DTH) is interlaced (indicated by the small i in 480i and 578i), therefore it does this little alternate-line trick, to make you believe you are watching all 480 lines of the picture at one go.

De-interlacing is taking this alternate-line information and putting it all together and showing it at one shot. Which is called progressive scan, and this is indicated by the small p in 720p, 1080p and so on. De-interlacing is the technology by which the original 576i or 480i interlaced image source is modified in such a way as to display all the lines of data simultaneously, instead of doing it in two sweeps. High quality de-interlacing will give you a more stable picture free of artefacts and defects. Faroudja DCDi was one of the flagship de-interlacing technologies of the recent past, AFAIK even now only exceeded by the HQV Reon / HQV Realta chips and the ABT VRS chip (used by Oppo).

thanks for reply brother

can you please tell me what is de-interlace

when television broadcasts were originally started, due to bandwidth and technology constraints the picture was shown in an interlaced manner. Basically if the picture had 480 lines, one moment it would show the 240 even lines, and the next moment it would show the 240 odd lines, thereby composing a full picture (due to the very tiny time gap between each such switch). standard definition video (including DVD and DTH) is interlaced (indicated by the small i in 480i and 578i), therefore it does this little alternate-line trick, to make you believe you are watching all 480 lines of the picture at one go.

De-interlacing is taking this alternate-line information and putting it all together and showing it at one shot. Which is called progressive scan, and this is indicated by the small p in 720p, 1080p and so on. De-interlacing is the technology by which the original 576i or 480i interlaced image source is modified in such a way as to display all the lines of data simultaneously, instead of doing it in two sweeps. High quality de-interlacing will give you a more stable picture free of artefacts and defects. Faroudja DCDi was one of the flagship de-interlacing technologies of the recent past, AFAIK even now only exceeded by the HQV Reon / HQV Realta chips and the ABT VRS chip (used by Oppo).

thanx for your help bro

i let you know when my 606 arrives on this wednesday

i will then test both methods direct through projector and by 606

by the way right now i'm using optical cable for audio so is upgrading to hdmi audio give me better sound from my onkyo 606

upgrading to HDMI will not give you "better sound" AFAIK, but lossless HD audio (like Dolby True HD and DTS MA) can only be transmitted digitally by HDMI, so if you require your Dolby TrueHD and stuff decoded (and your blu-ray player doesn't decode and send out analog 5.1/7.1 audio) then you'll need to use HDMI for audio.

by the way right now i'm using optical cable for audio so is upgrading to hdmi audio give me better sound from my onkyo 606

hey bros.

one more thing
what is hdmi pass through

i mean if i select hdmi passthrough from 606 is it meaning it won't upconvert or upscale and allow the video to upscale by projector itself

if i use this do i get audio through hdmi or not

or i should stick to my old formula i mean using optical cable for audio (as i;m not using any bd disc yet) and use hdmi direct to projector

actually i'm aksing this because i'm kinda lost i mean what to use avr for video quality or projector for video quality

i'm still in the doubt that 606 cannot give me sharper picture at 720p as my projector does

Last edited:
you're right. HDMI pass through lets the video signal through as-is, so you might as well stick with direct HDMI to projector and optical for the audio, but if you want upconversion by the 606, you'd need to route it through the 606 and set it to upscale.

hey bros.

one more thing
what is hdmi pass through

i mean if i select hdmi passthrough from 606 is it meaning it won't upconvert or upscale and allow the video to upscale by projector itself

if i use this do i get audio through hdmi or not

or i should stick to my old formula i mean using optical cable for audio (as i;m not using any bd disc yet) and use hdmi direct to projector

actually i'm aksing this because i'm kinda lost i mean what to use avr for video quality or projector for video quality

i'm still in the doubt that 606 cannot give me sharper picture at 720p as my projector does

you're right. HDMI pass through lets the video signal through as-is, so you might as well stick with direct HDMI to projector and optical for the audio, but if you want upconversion by the 606, you'd need to route it through the 606 and set it to upscale.

thanks but i'm still not clear

i wanna know if i let hdmi pass through is it(onkyo 606) just uses only audio from hdmi cable and don't touch video signal so it will upscale directly through projector

and what is upconvert
and upscale are both two different things

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back