Onkyo 608 Help: Monitor Audio / Wharfedale Diamond 10

tellanand

I started a thread in the Amplifier section sometime back, but I thought its more appropriate to be in this section of the forum. Here's the other thread - just for continuity:

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...ers-step-down-transformer-onkyo-tx-sr608.html

OK - I'm back again after a gap. I got very busy at work!! I auditioned Monitor Audio (AudioPeople, Chennai)and Wharfedale (Grand Cinema, Chennai) speakers today.

The Grand Cinema guys are very warm, polite, always listening and ready to help. They infact let me connect my amp (608, which I had carried) to the speakers - very nice of them. The AudioPeople guy was not as warm as Grand Cinema, he was not very forth coming in letting me connect my amp - but to be fair, he did play all tracks that I wanted (as I was carrying my own CDs as well) for an extended period.

Now coming to the auditioning itself: I understood from AudioPeople guy that the MA is refreshing its productlines with BX & RX series. So the earlier BS and RS series speakers are outdated. I felt that he was up selling the older series more than the newer ones (or so I thought). I wanted to audition the RS6 speakers, but unfortunately he does not carry them anymore (as he has sold them out). He instead offered me the RS8 and the corresponding center speakers (RS LCR) + RS FX surrounds + RSW12 sub for auditioning. I was very impressed with them - the lows, mids and highs were exceptional (with the RS8). The Sub was too soft for me - but the bass was deep and clear; but I think the RSW12 is an absolute under performer for its price (Rs.85K). I also listened to some sound tracks (stereo without sub) and the clarity just blew me away. The RS8 is just out of the world - I could hear all the instruments separately and very clearly; I did not feel like asking him to turn off the music at all.

Q1: Does anyone know if the BX / RX series is better than the out going series?

He quoted the following price:

RS8 (1 pair) - Rs. 1,04,600
RS LCR - Rs. 37,200
RS FX (1 pair) - Rs. 45,900
RSW 12 Sub - Rs. 84,300
Total = Rs.2,72,000
Price after discount = Rs. 2,31,200

The price blew me away as well :-(. This is way above my budget (Rs.1,50,000), even for a stretch. I also asked for additional quotes to mix and match:

BX FX Surround (1 pair) = Rs. 30,000
BRW 10" Sub = Rs. 35,000

I'm very impressed with MA atleast with the floor standers (RS8) except the price.

I then went to Grand Cinema and they readily connected my amp to the speakers. I first auditioned the Diamond 10.6 + 10 CM (Center) + 10 DFS (surrounds) + 10.MX (Sub). I watched a couple of action movies and listened to scenes that had dialogues as well. The Diamonds were very good for the price point I thought - but lacked the clear separation of low, mid and high of the MA RS8. I also listened to CD tracks (no Sub, only FS) that I carried and I was not too happy with the mids on 10.6 and it sounded a little too boomy (eating away all the mids) for me. As I was explaining my feedback to this guy, he swapped the 10.6 with a 10.7 and I then could immediately see a difference. The mids were more pronounced without loss of Bass - I immediately liked them. The guy at Grand Cinema also told me that Wharfedales (esp the diamonds) match very well with Onkyo receivers (based on the recent experience they had with some other customer), which again was re-assuring for me.

The guy also told me that I should go for 10.GX sub (which he did not have for auditioning) which he said is more powerful (250W) than the 10.MX (150W) that we auditioned. Both are downward firing subs. He said that 10.GX is concealed and will produce more tighter bass than the 10.MX and that 10.GX is more value for money (as in more bang for the buck, literally :)). He said that the 10.GX is an absolute stunner for that price point and would not sound like a 10" sub at all (rather would perform like a 12" one). As he did not have a 10.GX today, I could not listen to them.

Q2: My room dimensions are 11" x 15" - do I really need a 10.GX for my purposes?

Heres the quote from Grand Cinema:

Diamond 10.7 (pair) Rs. 54,000 (Rs.49,700 after discount)
Diamond 10.CM Rs. 18,000 (Rs.16,500 after discount)
Diamond 10.DFS Rs. 12,000 (Rs.11,000 after discount)
Diamond 10.MX Rs. 28,000
Diamond 10.GX Rs. 36,000 (Rs.33,000 after discount)
Total: Rs.1,10,000

He also said that the 10.7 are out of stock right now and the expected arrival date is last week of Dec 2010.

Thinking of the RS8 the RS8 was clearly a class apart the 10.7 just could not match that, but the price is almost double that of 10.7 as well. Nevertheless, for the price point, 10.7 is really an AMAZING speaker, I admit.

Q3: I am very confused at this time on what should I be picking. My heart says RS8 and mind says 10.7!! I really don't want to spend Rs. 2.3L on speakers, but I can probably stretch my budget a little. I am wondering if I can do a mix and match like:

(a) MA RS8 + MA RS LCR + WD Diamond 10.DFS + WD Diamond 10.GX (Rs.1.65L) - will this combo work? OR
(b) MA RS8 + WD 10.CM + WD Diamond 10.DFS + WD Diamond 10.GX (Rs.1.45L) - will this combo work? or
(c) Settle for the 10.7 package (Rs.1.1L) (which is not bad, just that my heart is screaming for RS8)

- so that I can fit it into my budget.

I'm sorry about this long post and I'd really appreciate if some one can help me with my questions and give me some ideas on how to go about it.

thank you
- Anand

Last edited:
Is option (b) workable at all. I've read /heard that the front and Center speakers must "match". Does that mean they have to be from same brand? Or is there some "matching" that has to be done using the specifications?

Can someone tell me if the speakers "match" in the options (a) and (b)?

- Anand

Anand, My 2 cents - go with what your heart says!!

I did that mistake (went with my mind (or head?)) and regret each day of it later.

If the budget is too tight, you can always go in steps.

Get the floor standers + center first, then the surrounds and then the sub whenever you have mustered enough dough.

This will also let you enjoy with full satisfaction while still keep you hooked in anticipation for more when you go through the steps!

:thumbsup:

There are more speakers brands available. I think you should do some more auditioning. You might find a speaker set fitting your budget.

Cheers

The LCR is basically for the dialogues in movies.. It has nothing to do with music.. The only catch with having an LCR of a different make is that you might experience some difference in tonality during dialogues.. But then again, for music option b might work out well.. Also consider this.. Option c and a stereo amp for your fronts..

Audition as many brands as you can (repeated) and go with your instincts and impressions by permission of your wallet... You are the best judge for Sound n Vision area may be tech specs you can ask here :rolleyes:

anand,

audition more.. there are brands and speaker models which will fit your price range and yet may sound better than Wharfdale. For a 11 by 15 room.. a good BS + center + rears + sub may be a better choice..

you dont really need to go for the rx8. theres the rx6 as well. and since you have a sub you can have bookshelves for your fronts as well so you can go in for the rx2. that should bring the quote down by a good 50k

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back