Onkyo CR 515 : Is it right solution?

chella

I am thinking abt Onkyo CR515 after seeing the unleash_me post in this section.

I have gone thru its review and very much interested to see the DEMO.I have already decided to buy a CD player for my HT system as I am not satisfied abt my HT SQ.I am living in a rental house.It has lot of space constrains. I have done my HT setup in (9)*(11.5)*(19) Living room and I couldn't place proper 7.1 setup in this room.I might be here for atleaset three more years till I find a permanent solution for my Home.So I have no plans to setup a HiFi system down the line due to this issue.Even If I buy CDP now, I cannot buy a Floor stand speakers(this was my plan) and listen in my living room.

I have explained the issue I am facing now. Audio Guru's please tell me 1.Buying Onkyo CR515 the right/Good solution for my problem?.
2.What is the current price in India?.
3.Can I connect this to my HT as it has Digital o/p?.

Looking forward to your suggestion.

Thanks,
Chella

I am thinking abt Onkyo CR515 after seeing the unleash_me post in this section.

I have gone thru its review and very much interested to see the DEMO.I have already decided to buy a CD player for my HT system as I am not satisfied abt my HT SQ.I am living in a rental house.It has lot of space constrains. I have done my HT setup in (9)*(11.5)*(19) Living room and I couldn't place proper 7.1 setup in this room.I might be here for atleaset three more years till I find a permanent solution for my Home.So I have no plans to setup a HiFi system down the line due to this issue.Even If I buy CDP now, I cannot buy a Floor stand speakers(this was my plan) and listen in my living room.

I have explained the issue I am facing now. Audio Guru's please tell me 1.Buying Onkyo CR515 the right/Good solution for my problem?.
2.What is the current price in India?.
3.Can I connect this to my HT as it has Digital o/p?.

Looking forward to your suggestion.

Thanks,
Chella

Onkyo CR515 is very good choice,but it comes with in built amp & spk.
I m not sure if it has analoge output to connect AVR.
Secondly even it is there how will it perform with AVR?
Try & decide.

Chella, am not sure if the 515 will fit your needs plus you havent mentioned your proposed HT components. (Or did it miss that out?)

Anyways, coming to the 515 I find it good fit for a cozy bedroom/living room/dining room music system where you dont want all the big boxes, scary cables or imposing looks. It should cost you around 20k with the speakers, new piece. Skip the speakers and it can be yours for 15k max. Look out for deals and some hard bargaining; who knows you might find yourself really lucky. Its a very nice machine, well built and trouble free operation with decent musicality for the price and class.

In your particular case, if an all in one system to take care of your HT needs from the Onkyo staple is what you are after, then there is the 815 it doesnt have USB though.. Or you may consider the Teac DR-H300, I mentioned in the other post. Im not sure about the later ones availability of pricing in India.

Onkyo Europe - CS-V815

DR-H300 | Consumer Electronics | Reference Series

IME, the biggest mistake you can do while planning a HT is to ignore the room size. Any system big or small - and you will get it all wrong. Take your time and definitely insist on a home audition before committing on the purchase. A good dealer will know if you are serious or not!

Happy auditioning.

PS you might find me vanished for quite some time, cant help it. As and when possible I always try to come here and hang out!

unleash_me,

I appreciate you reply and suggestion.

I am looking for a HiFi which is purely for stereo music. I already have a Onkyo+HK+Oppo HT setup.I am not getting the SQ from this setup what I really wants to hear.Something is missing when I hear CD from this setup.I dont know how to explain this.Thats why I was looking for a CDP to improve the SQ and now I am thinking abt CS 515 as a one box solution.I think CS515 will really fits into my (11.5)*(19) Living room.

My HT setup is awesome for Movie watching.So I dont need CS V815 and DR H300.I just need pure HiFi.

I enquired at Onkyo showroom in Bangalore they said they dont have CS515. But they have the next version CS525 for INR 24K.

Please tell me How much you paid for CS515 in India?.What is the good deal if I buy CS525 here (OR) Can I get CS515 anywhere in Bangalore/Chennai?

Can I use this system as a Input source to my HT if i want?

Thanks..

...Something is missing when I hear CD from this setup.I dont know how to explain this.

Welcome to the brotherhood! We all suffer from this empty feeling. Trust me this has cost me more money than I have ever spent on any illness.

Chella, if you are after a pure HiFi set up then you might want to consider a CDP/Amp combo. The 340 combo from CA is a good start. You can still use your HT front speakers for you HiFi needs, just use a switch or integrate them via the Pre-out in your AVR (if it has one) But, as you mentioned, in your case may be an one box solution might be a good idea. If you can afford, do try out the Solo Mini.

Dint get a chance to check out the 525, should be good I guess.
Onkyo CS-525UKD - whathifi.com

I bought mine a few years back from abroad on sale. It cost me approximately 10k for the head unit. Dint go for the speakers, not because they were bad or anything, just that I had a pair of 9.1 and SW150 lying around back home.

The 515 has an Optical Input. So you may connect any PC/Laptop/Squeezebox/DVD etc with an Optical out to route the channel through the Onkyo and play it.

Last edited:
unleash_me,

I appreciate you reply and suggestion.

I am looking for a HiFi which is purely for stereo music. I already have a Onkyo+HK+Oppo HT setup.I am not getting the SQ from this setup what I really wants to hear.Something is missing when I hear CD from this setup.I dont know how to explain this.Thats why I was looking for a CDP to improve the SQ and now I am thinking abt CS 515 as a one box solution.I think CS515 will really fits into my (11.5)*(19) Living room.

My HT setup is awesome for Movie watching.So I dont need CS V815 and DR H300.I just need pure HiFi.

I enquired at Onkyo showroom in Bangalore they said they dont have CS515. But they have the next version CS525 for INR 24K.

Please tell me How much you paid for CS515 in India?.What is the good deal if I buy CS525 here (OR) Can I get CS515 anywhere in Bangalore/Chennai?

Can I use this system as a Input source to my HT if i want?

Thanks..

You can think of ext DAC.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back