Onkyo HT-S3105 or HTS 590?

anoopdotk

Hi All,
I am planning to buy an entry level HTIB, I was considering Onkyo HTS 590 from futurebazaar.com for 19990. But recently heard about HTS-3105 for the same price from Bangalore Onkyo Dealer and that too with a free Sony DVD player. Both use the same receiver. So speakers would be the decision factor. Is 590 speaker set superior to that of 3105? My living is room is not so big. Which one should I go for? Hope the bass of any of these should be OK for me, or should I consider 5105 with powered sub?

Thanks in advance.

Hi anoop,
I have the HT-S3100 system and its a value for the money.i got it for 19400 in e-zone last month.It has a decent receiver which provides ample power for the speakers and the sub(as its passive).For a basic 5.1 need,this system will fulfill the same when setup in a mid-sized room.
It provides good experience for movies,with good thud and rumble from the sub.
If you can live with the passive sub,this system should be fine for u.
But a lotta members here suggest to change the speaker stock cables which comes with the system.

Vj

Hi anoop,
I have the HT-S3100 system and its a value for the money.i got it for 19400 in e-zone last month.It has a decent receiver which provides ample power for the speakers and the sub(as its passive).For a basic 5.1 need,this system will fulfill the same when setup in a mid-sized room.
It provides good experience for movies,with good thud and rumble from the sub.
If you can live with the passive sub,this system should be fine for u.
But a lotta members here suggest to change the speaker stock cables which comes with the system.

Vj

Thanks a lot vj. The speaker set of 3105 is different from 3100. Hope it will be more or less same in performance with those of 3100.
Speaker cable upgrade is required only for Sub or all the six channels? And do you have any idea on the wire details. I am a real novice in everything.
And any suggestions from you guys on an upgrade (not so expensive) of the two front speakers for better enjoyment of Music with this particular receiver, HTR340? I have to go for a set of speaker with 6 OHMs and more than 130W power support, is that assumption correct? Sorry If am wrong here.

Anoop,there are a lot of threads in the forum regarding the speaker cables,you can go through them for the right one you need.They vary from different ranges.
I wont recommend you to just change the fronts with another pair of bookshelves,you can do that,if you just want to have a good music exp.
but dont mix and use them with the existing onkyo speakers.
It is always recommended to use same branded speakers for better enjoyment.

What i will recommend you is to go for a separate pair of good bookshelves and connect them to the B terminal,so that u can enjoy stereo music with out interfering the existing onkyo speakers.This way you have both HT and stereo setup.you can always switch between A/B speakers.

Look for ones from Klipsch,polkaudio,kef,but they are pretty expensive depending on their ranges.They do provide exceptional sound quality.
I will also suggest you to look out for some secondhand bookshelves,check out the forum for any such sale.

Vj

Anoop,there are a lot of threads in the forum regarding the speaker cables,you can go through them for the right one you need.They vary from different ranges.
I wont recommend you to just change the fronts with another pair of bookshelves,you can do that,if you just want to have a good music exp.
but dont mix and use them with the existing onkyo speakers.
It is always recommended to use same branded speakers for better enjoyment.

What i will recommend you is to go for a separate pair of good bookshelves and connect them to the B terminal,so that u can enjoy stereo music with out interfering the existing onkyo speakers.This way you have both HT and stereo setup.you can always switch between A/B speakers.

Look for ones from Klipsch,polkaudio,kef,but they are pretty expensive depending on their ranges.They do provide exceptional sound quality.
I will also suggest you to look out for some secondhand bookshelves,check out the forum for any such sale.

Vj

Thanks a lot VJ for the B terminal suggestion. I knew about this A/B switching, but had't thought of this idea, Thank you.
How about Bose 101 Music Monitor, 150 W, 6 OHM. Will that work with this receiver and how is the performance?; I saw it in a second hand shop for around 6.5K INR (BTW, I am in Japan right now)

Anoop,
Actually am not one of those Bose lover,i know they stand for their technology and innovation,what i also know is that they are not in the line with companies like polk,wharfedale,monitor audio,kef,klipsch and so on.These brands are so well established that you can blindly pick any one these,which matches your taste and budget.
But the model you have in mind is good for crisp and clear sound,but what i read from other forum members is,those are not advised for the main speakers use,may be u can use em for ur lounge,or other leisure listening areas.
See if you can get hold of any of the above mentioned brands(also second hand)So that you will not have any problems and all you get is pure and hi-fi audio for both music and movies.
Since you are in japan,it should nt be hard for you to find good speakers and Amps.

Vj

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back