Onkyo HT-S990 Review

mungeri

Hi All

I am not new to music but surely new to HT's. I need your inputs on HT-S990 7.1 Channel THX Certified Receiver/Speaker Package.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

Onkyo guys are selling it for 45k. Would need some expert comments on this system. Can i get something better in the same price?

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Regards:)
Mung's

Last edited:
Hello Mungs,

I think the package is pretty good for an HTIB. When it was launched its price was around 65k. Anyways, I have heard it once and find it ok for the price. You cannot expect the deapth and the scale of seperates.

You can read about it here

Home Theater: Onkyo HT-S990THX Integrated Home Theater System

Onkyo HT-S990THX Home Theater System reviews - CNET Reviews

Owner's Reviews of the Onkyo HT-S990THX - 7.1-Channel THX Certified Home Theater System | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

PC World - HT-S990THX Home Theater System User Reviews

Bottom line: Eventhough not future proof this is definitely a good Value for Money package.

Best regards.

Thanks Unleash_me

Is something available within 50k which you think is better?

It will be used more for listening to music and not much for watching movies

Cheers :D

Last edited:
Then why are you wasting you money in an HTIB?

Go ahead and get yourself a CD/SACD player + Amp + Speakers.

Should come with in 50k. You will get lot of inputs from the different threads here.

All the best.

U_M

Going thru some wsites I came across Onkyo 504, Yamaha 659 which were recommended by people; the cost of the Onk's is 24k while Yamaha is 38k (for 661), checked with different vendors.

what wud u reco?

Also I am looking at 2 FLoorS's+2BookS+1Sub+1Ctr speaker, does it make sense; can you tell me how much wud it cost (appox)?

It 'll b a gr8 hlp(F1) if you can recommend some.

Cheers :D

Consider the Marantz SR-301 AV Receiver or its big brother, the Marantz SR-3001 as well.

For speakers look at the Mordaunt Short Avant family (902i front & rear, 905i center, 309w subwoofer) or Wharfedale Diamond (9.1 front & rear, 9.cs center, SW-150 sub). If you can stretch your budget consider also the Monitor Audio Bronze (BR2) series.

There you go Mungs!

I'd have more or less suggested the same as what Particleman did.

Although am not sure if you can squeez in all of these with your 50k range. Floorstanders are good and can help you save on the stands too, but do you have the space for them to breath?

May be you can consider these for the fronts.

a) Diamond 9.4 Wharfedale

b)Avant 904i Avant 904i Floorstander / Avant 900i / Products / Mordaunt Short

All the best.

Going thru some wsites I came across Onkyo 504, Yamaha 659 which were recommended by people; the cost of the Onk's is 24k while Yamaha is 38k (for 661), checked with different vendors.

Avoid low-end Yamaha AVRs at all costs. Besides, grey-market Marantz AVRs are better value for money.

May be you can consider these for the fronts.

a) Diamond 9.4 Wharfedale

b)Avant 904i Avant 904i Floorstander / Avant 900i / Products / Mordaunt Short

Great suggestions and advice as always, unleash_me.

I just wanted to comment, if I may:
a) When I last checked with them, Designer Audio (distributor for Wharfedale) was not offering the 9.4 - hope that has changed now as it is a good compromise of price-vs-performance.
b) @Mungeri: if you can stretch your budget I would suggest the 914i over 904i as it has larger drivers (6.5-inch versus the 90x series' 5.25-inch) that will compete quite nicely with the Wharfedale Diamonds should their 9.4 be unavailable or not to your liking.

@Mungeri:
If your interest in Music is indeed greater than Movies then do not compromise. Consider starting with two excellent front speakers and add the others later (possibly in this order - sub->center->surrounds). If you choose the Marantz SR-3001 then you should consider either Monitor Audio BR2 bookshelf fronts (around 18-20k) or the floorstanding BR5 (around 32k). Another great sounding pair is the PSB Image B25 bookshelf (around 25k) or the T45 floorstander (around 45k). This will give you a solid foundation you can build on later.

Take your time auditioning as many speakers as you can. There are dozens of speakers available in India now so it may take some time but it is worth it.

Hi Guys

I visited the local Onkyo demo room heard onkyo / elac, did not like it. Also visited the AV Expo and heard Klipsch Synergy F2's on onkyo receiver. F2's sounded much better.

Anyone has any inputs on F2's; cost around 31k.

:)

I once heard the Klipsch Synergy F2 in Chennai. Didn't like it much. Lot of sound/volume/noise in my opinion. May be due to its high sensitivity, i guess.

Anyways, if possible try to audition Diamond 9.5/9.6, MA BR5/RS6 or MS 906/908i. These are exceptional value for money and gem of speakers on their own. If you ask me my obvious choice will be RS6.

All the best.

Hi I'm also new to this wonderful forum.
Just wanted to suggest, If you are considering Tower Speakers for the front 's do listen to Polk Audio's Monitor Series.
If you are in budget consider Monitor 50 priced at 20K/pair.
And Monitor 60 27k/pair in chennai.(price in Indian Rupees)
Really amazing speakers for music and Movies.

My friend has got an Onkyo HTS 590 and he's upgraded the fronts to Monitor 60 & it is Awesome.
Very Sensitive Speakers.
Happy Listening.:p

Hi Guys

I have checked out a lot of equipment available in Delhi, I have decided to buy a stereo integrated amp; have these choices::
a) marantz pm7001 (25k)
b) denon pma700ae (18.5 - Grey)
c) sherwood rx-772(not bad at all) (20K)

please let me know your views.

Also I have shortlisted the following speakers:
Wharfdale Diamond 9.6 (26k)
Jamo C 405 (31k)

Would like to have your views on the above.

***Have not heard Mordunt-Short yet................

Cheers :)
Mungeri

Hi All

I am not new to music but surely new to HT's. I need your inputs on HT-S990 7.1 Channel THX Certified Receiver/Speaker Package.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

Onkyo guys are selling it for 45k. Would need some expert comments on this system. Can i get something better in the same price?

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Regards:)
Mung's

where did you get this quote?? did u buy it finally?

the guy at e-zone, Rajajinagar, Bangalore quoted 59k net.

how's the performance.. my budget is around 50k.. pls let me know if there is something better avlbl at this price..

thx :)
anirudh

Hey guys

Any experience with Outlaw Receiver?

Cheers :)

Outlaw is a very popular receiver sold though the Net in the US. It has, in my mind, two issues.

1. Since it is sold through the Net, you can get it serviced or repaired by Outlaw, and this can be done only in the US.

2. I had exchanged some correspondence with them a few years back when I was contemplating buying their equipment. At least then there were not interested in looking beyond the US. Some of their products are really good, but what to do?

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back