Onkyo HTS 3500 vs Denon DHT 1312 XP

Hi Friends,

I've just joined to this forum. Basically I'm looking for a budget home theatre(can be package).

My Current setup is LG LM6410 42" 3D LED TV with LG 3D BD Player. I have some locally assembled (powerful) speakers with me. I have auditioned ONKYO 3500 at Prodigy and they quoted 23K for the final price. Meanwhile, I went to Richie Street,Chennai and got saw some used AVRs.

One guy showed me Pionner VSX-520 AVR for 10K. The exterior looks amazing and it has all things which i'm looking for. But I've no idea about the used AVRs with Brand new ones. Is this model is good? For now, I can manage with current speaker setup and later I'll upgrade with good ones.

Kindly provide your suggestions to proceed further.

Hi Jebs, welcome to HiFiVision....:)

You can always rely on Fellow Members to help you out in your quest for good sound..:eek:hyeah:

What is the model of the Onkyo you have auditioned and prized at 23K?
Because only Onkyo 3400 is priced at 23-24K and the 3500 is priced at 25-27K in Tamil Nadu. Hence, I think it may be the 3400 model that you have auditioned and offered for 23K at Prodigy. Please verify.

As far as good Home Theater System is concerned, it is always better to go for separates instead of HTiB systems. So, your thinking of buying a AVR and getting the speakers later is a very good one.

The Pioneer VSX-520-K AVR is a good one. Please check it out whether the AVR is
1) working good without any faults?
2) has been serviced for any faults or repairs?
3) also check with seller all the inputs and outputs are working good or not?
4) check whether the reseller is giving any 2 or 3 months warranty for the product?
5) check the reseller is a reliable one?

Since, its a used one, we don't know the history about it. If its ok then you can go ahead and purchase the AVR. But I don't know whether your locally assembled speakers will go well with the AVR. Could
you give more information about the speakers spec like the ohms etc please.

Last edited:
As I have opened this thread, my responsibility to conclude.....

I'm happy to say that I finally purchased my home-theater system. :yahoo:

I finally decided not to buy HTiB and get a Denon 1513 and Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP 5.1 . I can say that in this price you can't have anything better in India (in abroad ofcouse you can) in this price range.

REVIEW AND PICS COMING SOON........

congrats on your purchase Rupam :clapping:, eagerly waiting for your review on the same

Hi Jaivelu,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I'm pretty much newbie to this HiFI world and completely rely on our fellow members valuable guidance.

It was Onkyo HTS-3500 only. That guy told me that it was a NewYear offer provided by Onkyo. So, I got a quote only for HTS-3500 at 23K price. But couldn't take because of it's heating problem and passive subwoofer issues discussed over here.

My main purpose is only for Movies with 5.1 surround and DTS HD Master,TrueHD decoder options etc. Also, I've videocon d2h HD as well. So, I need a better AVR or HTiB with some tight budget :).

Hi Jaivelu,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I'm pretty much newbie to this HiFI world and completely rely on our fellow members valuable guidance.

It was Onkyo HTS-3500 only. That guy told me that it was a NewYear offer provided by Onkyo. So, I got a quote only for HTS-3500 at 23K price. But couldn't take because of it's heating problem and passive subwoofer issues discussed over here.

My main purpose is only for Movies with 5.1 surround and DTS HD Master,TrueHD decoder options etc. Also, I've videocon d2h HD as well. So, I need a better AVR or HTiB with some tight budget :).

23k :eek: .......

As I have opened this thread, my responsibility to conclude.....

I'm happy to say that I finally purchased my home-theater system. :yahoo:

I finally decided not to buy HTiB and get a Denon 1513 and Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP 5.1 . I can say that in this price you can't have anything better in India (in abroad ofcouse you can) in this price range.

REVIEW AND PICS COMING SOON........
Hello-Rupam..Great selection..from where did you bought this package. ?What is the price ?Plz post the separate prices for AVR and HT package..

Denon xp1312 is far way better than any HTIB in that price bracket. Only problem is that the speaker start cracking if you pump up more that 90% of its volume. If your budget permits, go for AVR. Else HTIB, but never buy sony, lg etc. I got an opportunity for demo of Onkyo 3500, 3400 & Pioneer HTIB. Onkyo, just wastage of time. Pioneer: the sub blew me away from the audition room, mid was muddy & peaks were not clear. Very much impressed with xp1312.

Hi Rupam,

You finally nailed it man while I am still in lurch. Anyways congrats and enjoy with your new system. As with others, me too longing for pics and reviews. Do it soon. I suppose you ordered it from hifimart. Also do let me know why you chose wharfedale over other brands. Someone told me wharfedale is quite bright. So do let us know how well it is complimenting with Denon 1513? So many questions but do post your answers,

Hi Rupam,

You finally nailed it man while I am still in lurch. Anyways congrats and enjoy with your new system. As with others, me too longing for pics and reviews. Do it soon. I suppose you ordered it from hifimart. Also do let me know why you chose wharfedale over other brands. Someone told me wharfedale is quite bright. So do let us know how well it is complimenting with Denon 1513? So many questions but do post your answers,

Ya, I have also heard the same & I have also shortlisted Wahrfdale DX1, but quite worried about its bass quality.Rupam we all are very eager to hear from you..:)

Posting the same question again if you miss out in the other thread:

That is some detailed graphical analysis. Congrats once again. The complete set up look stunning. So if you have selected MS-100 HCP, I can see the decision is backed with performance and much logic. Enjoy with your setup and do post your review on real time performance of this system because in showrooms they really sound different because of the acoustical treatment of surroundings. Also do let me know how well it sounds on brrips of 1.5-2 gb (with 5.1 audio)? Do you have any plans for media player or already have one?

Posting the same question again if you miss out in the other thread:

That is some detailed graphical analysis. Congrats once again. The complete set up look stunning. So if you have selected MS-100 HCP, I can see the decision is backed with performance and much logic. Enjoy with your setup and do post your review on real time performance of this system because in showrooms they really sound different because of the acoustical treatment of surroundings. Also do let me know how well it sounds on brrips of 1.5-2 gb (with 5.1 audio)? Do you have any plans for media player or already have one?

I'm gonna answer your questions.

Also do let me know how well it sounds on brrips of 1.5-2 gb (with 5.1 audio)?

There are three types of audio that are favorite among rippers.

AC3 (AKA Dolby)--- Good original dvd quality sound. 2 types of bitrate : 448 and 640. bigger is better.

dts --- Best surround and dynamics : Better than AC3

aac---- very soft sound, lower than AC3, should be avoided for action movies. For old movies its ok. Most AVR can not decode AAC
High end AVRs can.

Its best if you can go for 4 GB + Rips with dts sound.

I have a Asus O Play mini media player. Unfortunately it can not decode aac.
If you have lots of files with aac, then choose a media player which can decode aac.

And acoustical treatment, I use double curtain with heavy drapes. The opposite wall of HT is covered 80% with drapes. You can add a carpet. I prefer not to. Maid sweeps it everyday.

Ok. So if AAC is not decoded by AVRs then what's the option to get the discrete 5.1 audio from your HT considering that you have attached your media player to AVR and your media player decode AAC? Does it get downmixed to 2 ch or with the help of media player you manage to get 5.1 discrete surround from your setup? As I am looking for media player as well to combine with my setup so that I don't have to convert those rips to VOB format,burn DVDs and play it on my DVD player. Also I suppose I would get 1080p upscaled picture from media player which I would not get from my DVD player as it's 8 years old not having upscaling feature.

Media player will convert aac audio to multichannel lpcm so you will get real 5.1. You need to set it under the audio settings of the player.

i need small help here.

i dont know how to set the home theater. I didt feel the real sound.any one help for me ??

Amp & speaker setting

Back