Onkyo HTS 3500 vs Denon DHT 1312 XP

@thegr8anand, can you share your experience with 1312xp and why have you picked this model only? Also any idea how to hardcode subs in movie clips as my hdtv (sony 40kdl ex710) only displays hardcoded subs and not .srt types. Also does optical audio out support dts as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well in my city it was hard to find dealers that kept onkyo, denon etc. I found one and there i demoed 3 sets. 1312xp, some onkyo set(not 3400/3500) and another yamaha one(not 196/296). They might have been older ones as I wasn't aware of older models so couldn't recognize them. After demoing for some time the denon was a clear winner so I went with it. Also the guy told me denon has active sub which is a bonus.

Since systems like these are a bit scarce I had to shell out 34000 for it. Happy with though.

@bpranay: my samsung displays .srt subs so not sure about sony. Optical does play dts audio but not good for DTS-HD/Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD(used in blurays) as it doesn't support and probably downgrades it. But probably this doesn't make a difference as if like me you watch movies from a usb drive connected to tv, the audio is already compressed so optical is fine. For blueray player hdmi is obviously the best.

aah finally went for denon 1312xp audition am impressed with the sound. it's very clear like onkyo but the only difference between them was the bass. denon got better bass but not deep though. i felt it's better compared to onkyo atleast it got a active sub and it ll not heat-up like onkyo and moreover am getting it for a very reasonable price. some may like the onkyo output. it all depends on their personal taste. Here, my vote goes to denon 1312xp and ll get it by monday if everything goes smooth. :cool:

28k is the marvellous price.which city are you getting it from? BTW congratss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah after a very long conversation of nearly 30 to 40m about this HT features and a lot of blah blah blah, i got for this price. btw, the store was recently opened just 2 months back and he's a direct dealer of JBL and am from Vijayawada AP.

hmm i see in most of the US and UK sites denon 1312xp model unavailable/discontinued. is there any new model rolling out in near future :O ?

Congrats Nero, update us as soon as you receive the set. We are waiting eagerly for your feedback.
Whats the name of the shop? I think Denon set up will be a time consuming matter. Because as far as I know the speaker wires will have to be cut for each speaker. Anyway its a lot better than Onkyo.

It does not have Audyssey but thats not a problem, you can calibrate the speakers manually. I advice you to take notes of speaker settings of Demoed set and apply it in your set, then you can start personalizing them according to your taste and room setting.

Do not forget to vote for your denon in this post please... http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/30877-brand-htib-you-have.html

Hi friends I am also planning to buy HTIB. My requirements are 50% for music n 50% for movies.I don't wish to go for bookself spk. because room size doesn't permit. Plz advice which one should I go for. Onkyo OR Denon ?.

Last edited:
Hi friends I am also planning to buy HTIB. My requirements are 50% for music n 50% for movies.I don't wish to go for bookself spk. because room size doesn't permit. Plz advice which one should I go for. Onkyo OR Denon ?.

I have done quite a bit of research on HTiB and what I know is that Onkyo is better for Movies, but if you like to listen to Music also then go for Denon 1312.

I suggest you to buy Denon AVR-1513 Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions

And then Boston Acoustics Soudware XS Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1

Marantz is also known for musically solid AVRs.

Let me know what have you decided.

Guys, I just joined this site 2 days ago while I was searching for HTiB reviews......... I have taken the demo for all the Onkyo models (including the THX certified one), Yamaha YHT-196, Denon 1312xp and Pioneer HTP-071,,,,,, Let me share my thoughts/reviews on these models.

Starting with the Onkyo 3400/3500, its good (or rather good enough) for movies/games but the music quality is terrible to be honest (maybe with proper caliberation it might be good)..... The bass response is pathetic(average or below average).
The Onkyo 5500 was very good (maybe because of 7.1 config), but still lacking in music department.
Ofcourse the THX certified one had to be good but damn expensive around 90K

Yamaha YHT-196 is much better choice than Onkyo 3400/3500, Although it doesn't do HD decoding, but you can still manage it since PS3/ bluray players already have these HD decoders (default) these days. The best part of this model is the Yamaha receiver has a Pre-amp out for connecting an active subwoofer (future upgrade) while the Onkyo 3400/3500 lack this option. Also the subwoofer that comes within the package is better than 3400/3500.

Pioneer HTP-071 is PATHETIC, First I thought the Demo guy forgot to connect the Subwoofer as I couldn't hear any Bass reproduction at all. The other speakers are fine. However if you can upgrade the subwoofer then its good enough. You can upgrade to Active sub as there is a pre-amp out.

Lastly Denon 1312xp IS THE BEST CHOICE AMONG ALL THESE ENTRY LEVEL HTIB. Really good sound quality, both for Music and Movies/Games. If you have to choose then blindly go for this. In fact I didnt feel anything that was needed to upgrade here. I thought it was perfect in its price range.

Denon 1312xp is 30,990 (31k) everywhere...... You can probably buy it in Reliance digital and get some good offer like a blu ray player for 2K (75 % discount)...... They also provide 1 yr extended warranty for 1K more.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back