Onkyo nr-686 or Yamaha Rxv 585

pallab1981

Hello Folks,
I am planning to setup the home theater system & quite a newbee in this area. I have narrowed down my choices among the following two based on my budget limit (approx 350gbp):
Onkyo nr-686 - 279gbp
Yamaha Rxv 585 - 329 gbp
I never owned any AVR in past, neither have much knowledge in this area. I am looking for something in terms of value for money, good sound quality & streaming options. Availability of service in india (kolkata) would also be factor for choice ( though I won't get any warranty for international purchase, so its a toss), however Looking for your openion among these 2 for which one i should go ahead with. The 1st one was suggested by the sales agent in a local store when i revealed my budget for the AV receiver. My hall size is approx 11 x 20ft.

My hall size is approx 11 x 20ft.

Both are good choices in your budget.. You would be fine with either of them.. You can do 5.1.2 set-up..

You room being a lil longer, you would be good with 7.1.2 set-up.. Also check if there are any offers on Pioneer AVR.. LX303 / Onkyo TX NR 787 as it is a 9.2 AVR.. If you can grab these for lil more than your budget, then you can do either 5.1.4 (or) 7.1.2 Atmos set-up in the future..

Last edited:
Thank you so much Guys for your kind reply....being a novice in AV receiver area, i am open for your suggestions....just got another suggestion of Denon 1600 from one of the store in UK, with 350 quid....any suggestions of Denon receivers over Yamaha or Onkyo in terms of sound quality & lasting reliability?

Hello Folks,

Now that i have finalized a deal on Yamaha 585( after negotiations, closed it in 269gbp), need your suggestions on speaker systems. Due to weight limit restrictions in flight, i wont be able to carry a whole 5.1 bundle along with the receiver, so not opting for any woofer right this moment, however i can take few satelite speakers as front one may be & will buy a woofer back in india, to comple my 5.1 or 7.1 setup.
I am narrowed down few choices, in terms of
Weight limit that i would be able to carry during my R2I.
1) Cambridge Audio Min 22 - a pair may (159gbp)
2) Yamaha music cast 20 or 50 (139 vs 299 GBP) or any Sonos wireless surround speaker.

I am open for suggestions for other brands as well.

Finally nailed down on Denon AVRX-2600H, after going through a demo in the local store, followed by a good deal (395gbp). Now looking forward finalizing on the speakers. Have taken 2 nos of Cambridge audio minx min 22 as FL & FR. What should be options for the remaining speakers to setup a 5.1.2 Atmos?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back