onkyo txsr606 speaker help

darkblade666

sorry if my post it a bit bad but i new :eek:

i have a onkyo txsr606 being delivered to day :D
to go with my philips 42" lcd i got last month :D

no i have wall mounted the tv above my fire place

but i need some help with speaker chioce :eek: theres just to much for me to take in lol

dont know if to go with 5.5 sats 7.1 sats or floor speakers for left and right

i play music most of the day i am talking like 6+ hours 5 days aweek

i have like £600 ish to play with for now

if i get floor speakers do i need a sub

also can i use sats with floor standing or would have to use book shelf

Dark Blade:

I am not going to point out any brands, but there are a number of factors that play a factor on the speakers selection.

1. THE AMPLIFIER PERSE. In you case, the 606 has excellent specs. It has 24/192 DAC for all channels. I suspect these will be Burr Brown, one of the best in the world. The amplifier pumps out 140 watts per channel at 6 ohms.

2. THE ROOM SIZE. Generally for a 140 watts amplifier, a room size of about 12 by 15 will be ideal.

3. ROOM ACOUSTICS. The most important thing is to keep out ambient noise and to have sound diffusers and absorption material such as book cases, heavy drapes, bass traps, carpets, etc. You don't have to spend too much noise, but if you can identify sound reflecting material (that create echoes and vibrations) and isolate them, it will be excellent.

4. Since you have a budget of 600 odd pounds, you should go in for a 5.1 system that has a sub woofer. You can add the rear channel later. The sub is needed for movies.

5. Since you like music a lot, please go in for 3-way way floor standers for the front left and front right. 3-way floor standers will cover the full frequency and can be used for two channel music without even the sub woofer. BTW, a 3-way floor standers has separate drivers for base, mid range and high frequency with an internal cross over that sends the correct audio frequency to the correct driver.

6. Most speakers would be specified at 8 ohms, while your AVR outputs power at 6 ohms. Do not worry about this. Your AVR can and will drive 8 ohm speakers, though the power will be little less. Believe me, 140 watts (per channel) is more than enough unless you want to break your ear drums and go deaf in a few years.

7. I would avoid satellite speakers - 2 floor standers for front, 2 dipoles for surround, a center, and a sub would be the best combination.

Some of the good brands you could look for in UK are:

1. Wharfedale (their 9 series)
2. Acoustic Energy
3. Mordant Short
4. Mission (their M series)

If you could stretch your budget a bit, you should take a look at B&W.

Always audition speakers before you buy them. And please CARRY your own movies and music CDs to audition.

Cheers.

Dark Blade,

Thanks for your general guidance on the speaker brands - can i push you a little further on this.

I, too have a new SR 606 and based on reviews in the print media I am inclined to buy the Mission M3i (M34i floor standers + M3C2i + M31i + M3AS). But I do not if this speaker system is best suited to the AVR.

Would appreciate advise - or should i be looking at some other speakers from Mission / Wharfdale !!

Cheers,

Dark Blade,

Thanks for your general guidance on the speaker brands - can i push you a little further on this.

I, too have a new SR 606 and based on reviews in the print media I am inclined to buy the Mission M3i (M34i floor standers + M3C2i + M31i + M3AS). But I do not if this speaker system is best suited to the AVR.

Would appreciate advise - or should i be looking at some other speakers from Mission / Wharfdale !!

Cheers,

BDS,

As has been mentioned many times here, the best way to make a decision is to audition (hear for yourself) the speakers you shortlist. and then buy them. If you can power the speakers with a 606, it will be excellent, as that will be the exact sound you will get at home. If not, ask the dealer if he has any Onkyo receiver and use that.

Don't decide based upon one audition. Listen to the Mission, the Wharfedale, and a few more available with dealers near your house. Use the same DVD and music CDs to understand the difference. If after listening to a few, your heart tell you speaker X is good, go back to that listen to it again, and then only cut your cheque. As you are listening, make notes. Here are some very general guidelines for speaker auditioning:

1. Knock on the speaker with your knuckles. If you hear a hollow sound, the speaker bracing is not good. Well built speakers should make noise like hitting hard wood.

2. Look at the back and see what kind of connectors are provided. Gold plated banana connectors are generally better than clips.

3. Look at the specs. Match the power capability of the speaker as close to your amp as possible. In your case, look for speaker that can handle 100 watts. Do not go too high.

4. Play music or the movies at low volumes.

5. Ask the dealer to keep all features of the AVR or amplifier flat. In other word he must not increase the base or treble.

6. Walk around the room as the music is playing and see if you get the same response across the room.

7. Listen to at least two kinds of music. First - an Hindustani or Carnatic with a lead singer and one or two instruments. When this is playing can you hear the tanpura? Can you hear all the instruments clearly? Can you place the seating arrangement of the players in your mind? You can also use a film song CD. In English there are a number of solo singers accompanied by just a guitar.

Second - use a music that has lots of singers and instruments and played at slightly high volume. Again can you hear and understand the words of the singer? Can you hear and recognise all the instruments. Do the drums overwhelm the other instruments and the singer?

8. If a movie is playing, close your eyes and listen. Are the dialogues clear? Can you hear the bullets flying? Can you imaging the atmosphere. If there is rain, can you feel the wetness? Is the music harsh or pleasant to your ears? What happens when there is a big boom? Is there an echo, a reverberation? Do you feel pressure in your chest?

As you are listening to a few speaker sets, note these points, and make a mental note. I use a voice recorder and immediately dictate what I liked and disliked about a speakers set. Then I move on to the next set.

Once you have gone through this exercise, your heart will lean you towards a particular brand. THAT is what you have to buy. All we can do in this forum is guide you to certain brands and models which generally deliver good speakers.

It helps a lot if you use a music CD you have heard a number of times before and a DVD that you watched and know the scenes and the sound that comes next. That way if a note is missing, you will be aware of something lacking in the speaker.

Cheers

Venkat

Your post are precise and shows authority in this topic.

Please help me in selecting a 5.1 speaker system for txsr606 which I've short listed.

After considerable study, I've 3 choice

1. Klipsch F2 - budget is just right for me ( Slightly more but can be stretched for quality)
2. B&W 685 - @ Rs 1.36 lacs - which is slightly beyond my budget right now
3. Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom 5.1 - same as above

Dark Blade,

Cheers,
Hi , just wanted to mention here .......if possible pls have audition of JAMO E750 or E770 . these are very fine 3way speakers and will be one the best combo with Onkyo ! Just go out and have audition to asses !

santosh titus said:
Venkat

Your post are precise and shows authority in this topic.

Please help me in selecting a 5.1 speaker system for txsr606 which I've short listed.

After considerable study, I've 3 choice

1. Klipsch F2 - budget is just right for me ( Slightly more but can be stretched for quality)
2. B&W 685 - @ Rs 1.36 lacs - which is slightly beyond my budget right now
3. Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom 5.1 - same as above

At the outset, thank you very much for the compliments.

Regarding your speakers is my configuration assumption correct?

1. Klipsch - 2 x F2 Floor Standers, 2 x S2 Surrounds, 1 x C2 Centre, and 1 x Sub 12 Sub woofer

2. Tannoy - 4 x F1 Bookshelves, 1 x FC Centre, 1 x TS12 Sub woofer.

If this configuration is what you are looking at, I would go with the Klipsch. The specs for Tannoy and Klipsch are about the same, and the Klipsch are more sensitive. But the most important is that the Klipsch have 3-way floor standing speakers and these would add ambiance and depth to your system. They will also sound better with music played through your AVR.

I would even be so bold to say that the Klipsch may sound as good or slightly better than the B&W 685.

Cheers

Thanks.... Venkatcr....
I too agree with you. I bought 606 and using with Klipsch F1 series. (2xF1; C1; 2xs1 and Sub10). After listening to some brands, I decided to go with this set up. Even, the F1 series is blowing my 12x24 hall, the F2 would be much more better option. I also liked the Focal's (Sib & Co) sound but I didn't like its design. Thanks once again for your valuable advice.

I am glad I was able to hep you guys. Please do keep coming back to tell us how you are enjoying your system - the movies you see, the music you hear etc. If you make some changes to your system, the knowledge of that would be appreciated.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back