Opinion on Ascendo SV 12 Subwoofer

amit_s

Hi,

Recently I heard Ascendo SV 12, was very much impressed by it's sound. Even though it's ported, I found it much cleaner and controlled than Emotiva SE12. I haven't noticed much discussion about it here, just wanted to check if anyone is already using it, how has been the experience? It got voted as best subwoofer under $2000 in by AVS forum https://www.avsforum.com/threads/avs-forum-best-of-2021-awards.3230372/

Thanks,
Amit

Hi,

Recently I heard Ascendo SV 12, was very much impressed by it's sound. Even though it's ported, I found it much cleaner and controlled than Emotiva SE12. I haven't noticed much discussion about it here, just wanted to check if anyone is already using it, how has been the experience? It got voted as best subwoofer under $2000 in by AVS forum https://www.avsforum.com/threads/avs-forum-best-of-2021-awards.3230372/

Thanks,
Amit
I have installed it in one of my projects.. room volume was around 2500cuft.
Placed at the centre of the front wall.

It is actually very good..
Loads of power and less distortion.
And please note that it was properly calibrated.

Basically the design idea is good. They didn't aim to tune the sub very low like other subwoofers brands which I don't want to name.

Basically the design idea is good. They didn't aim to tune the sub very low like other subwoofers brands which I don't want to name.
Is it very sensitive to placement? I will placing it next to corner side wall, that's the only place I have in my living room. By calibration you mean adjusting phase, cuttoff frequency and volume or some kind of DSP?

Thanks

Is it very sensitive to placement? I will placing it next to corner side wall, that's the only place I have in my living room. By calibration you mean adjusting phase, cuttoff frequency and volume or some kind of DSP?

Thanks
All the subwoofers are sensitive to position..
Basically bass is sensitive to position.
DSP and right volume level of subwoofer relative to the speakers along with the other aspects you mentioned

Hi,

Thanks,
Amit
Hi. Did you end up getting this sub?

Hi. Would you recommend this subwoofer? I am getting a good deal on this.
I will demo it before buying but a good demo at the dealers listening room might not necessarily equate to good performance in my setup.

I have recently started setting up my first HT in my open plan living room.

The primary area is about 18' x 12' with walls in two sides (18') and a Glass door/window on aluminium frame on one side (12').
The fourth side is open to a small area thats roughly 8' x 12' which further opens up to a narrow passageway.

The plan is to go to 5.1. Dual subs is not really an option as of now. Limiting the setup to a single sub that is not too big is the tradeoff for approval to running wiring for surrounds and getting surrounds.

Equipment i have and am planning to get: -
AVR: Denon X2700H (Will upgrade/side-grade/downgrade to the Marantz SR6014 in the next 4-5 months.)
LR: Kef Q350
Centre: Will get another Kef Q350 for the centre sometime next month.
Surrounds: Don't have permission for full size speakers. Will probably get something like Monitor Audio Mass satellite or something similar. (Open to suggestions.)
Subwoofer: I am temporarily using a SVS SB-1000 and am very underwhelmed. While this sub performs great for music in my small home-office, it doesn't really do much in my living room for movies and tv.

Hi. Would you recommend this subwoofer? I am getting a good deal on this.
I will demo it before buying but a good demo at the dealers listening room might not necessarily equate to good performance in my setup.

I have recently started setting up my first HT in my open plan living room.

The primary area is about 18' x 12' with walls in two sides (18') and a Glass door/window on aluminium frame on one side (12').
The fourth side is open to a small area thats roughly 8' x 12' which further opens up to a narrow passageway.

The plan is to go to 5.1. Dual subs is not really an option as of now. Limiting the setup to a single sub that is not too big is the tradeoff for approval to running wiring for surrounds and getting surrounds.

Equipment i have and am planning to get: -
AVR: Denon X2700H (Will upgrade/side-grade/downgrade to the Marantz SR6014 in the next 4-5 months.)
LR: Kef Q350
Centre: Will get another Kef Q350 for the centre sometime next month.
Surrounds: Don't have permission for full size speakers. Will probably get something like Monitor Audio Mass satellite or something similar. (Open to suggestions.)
Subwoofer: I am temporarily using a SVS SB-1000 and am very underwhelmed. While this sub performs great for music in my small home-office, it doesn't really do much in my living room for movies and tv.
I’m currently using SV-12 and it’s very good.
I was using SVS-PB1000 and upgraded to Ascendo. I could feel the difference immediately after the change. Ascendo is way better than SVS.
I’m not sure about the pricing in India for Ascendo, but SVS is definitely overpriced for its performance. If you are getting a good deal for Ascendo, definitely go for it, it won’t disappoint you. Like Prateek said, placing and proper calibration is important.
I’m using both the subwoofers in my system, but will replace SVS with another Ascendo next year.

I’m currently using SV-12 and it’s very good.
I was using SVS-PB1000 and upgraded to Ascendo. I could feel the difference immediately after the change. Ascendo is way better than SVS.
I’m not sure about the pricing in India for Ascendo, but SVS is definitely overpriced for its performance. If you are getting a good deal for Ascendo, definitely go for it, it won’t disappoint you. Like Prateek said, placing and proper calibration is important.
I’m using both the subwoofers in my system, but will replace SVS with another Ascendo next year.
Thanks. That was the exact comparison I was looking for. While the Ascendo is more expensive on paper, I’m getting it for a lower price than PB1000. I’ll go for a demo this weekend.

Thanks. That was the exact comparison I was looking for. While the Ascendo is more expensive on paper, I’m getting it for a lower price than PB1000. I’ll go for a demo this weekend.
If it’s less than PB-1000, then definitely go for it.
I compared Ascendo SV-12 with SVS PB-2000 too, I preferred Ascendo.
If the model which you are being offered is manufactured after October 2021, it should be having 600W amplifier instead of 500W. They haven’t updated the specifications on their website, but Stefan Köpf (owner of Ascendo) himself told this to me.

If it’s less than PB-1000, then definitely go for it.
I compared Ascendo SV-12 with SVS PB-2000 too, I preferred Ascendo.
If the model which you are being offered is manufactured after October 2021, it should be having 600W amplifier instead of 500W. They haven’t updated the specifications on their website, but Stefan Köpf (owner of Ascendo) himself told this to me.
I am being offered a 500w amplifier. Maybe I'm getting a deal because it's the old model.

I know that on paper, the SV-12 compares more with PB-2000. I was comparing with the PB-1000 based on budget.
I am getting the Ascendo for 19k less than the PB 1000 Pro.
Yeah, as you said, demo it. Check if you can demo at your place too.

Looks quite impressive. Ascendo SV-12 was listed as Product of the year and Best Subwoofer in 2021.
Ascendo now available with ProSonics in Bangalore apart from other brands Velodyne and Sunfire (now known as Speakerkraft)

Ascendo SV-12
Amplifier Power500W RMS
Power Fuse110V, Fuse T8AL / 250V. 220V, Fuse T4AL / 250V
Crossover Frequencies40-150Hz (variable)
Frequencies Response25Hz-150Hz (variable)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back