Oppo 105 USB Computer Audio performance using USB DAC input.

@john
It is also recommended to use ASIO output on foobar if the DAC supports it. WASAPI is second best option according to the suggestions from JMC. Try it.

Sure Santy. I will try ASIO. I used ASIO for REW. They are the same right ? I am a noob in computer audio stuff :D

But I am not too worried about computer audio as I am not going to use that. For me its either CDs or FLAC/WAV from a USB drive.

Thanks,
John.

WASAPI yields better results than ASIO. But the difference may or may not be discernible on all systems.

Audio Output Modes - JRiverWiki

If given the choice between multiple modes or drivers, choose the best output for your hardware in this order:
1) If your hardware has a native, well-behaved, ASIO driver, use ASIO.
2) Otherwise, on Windows Vista, Windows 7, or newer, use WASAPI exclusive.
3) Otherwise, use Kernel Streaming if it works.
4) If none of the above are possible, use DirectSound or WaveOut. Neither of these provide hardware direct output, so choose based on performance.
If you have problems, start with DirectSound and get MC working. Once you have audio working and are comfortable using MC, then experiment with other audio output choices.

ASIO

ASIO is a sound card communication system created by Steinberg.
If your soundcard has a native ASIO driver, this is the most direct (and normally best) way to communicate with it.

I have hard time figuring out the difference myself.:p From the reports, it just appeared that John's setup is very sensitive to bit-streaming. So thought of sharing the advice from JMC. Here's one more. The proprietary drivers of my DAC is built on ASIO (but it works with WASAPI too). I use WASAPI in XBMC though and have no problems with it.

Thank you guys. I am learning new stuff :).

BTW, do you guys have any clue on why Airtel HD DTH sounds pretty bad when I connect through Oppo HDMI In ? I am on the latest Airtel DTH firmware that supports Dolby Digital Plus through HDMI.

The same Airtel DTH sounds pretty good in my living room and bedroom where I have a very simple setup

Living Room : Airtel DTH -> HDMI -> Marantz NR 1402 -> Jamo S416.
Bedroom : Airtel DTH -> Digital Out -> Old Onkyo HTIB AVR -> KEF Q300.

The following setup sounds pretty bad in my HT Room

Airte DTH -> HDMI -> Oppo -> Emotiva -> Klipsch + twin Velodyne Subs

Thanks,
John.

I can't explain it by any means other than the room acoustics.

Your living room is voiced by an 'ordinary' speaker, Jamo S series. Bedroom is powered by an 'ordinary' amp. Yet, they sound good. Just because the way the speakers are interacting with the room.

My best guess.

I can't explain it by any means other than the room acoustics.

Your living room is voiced by an 'ordinary' speaker, Jamo S series. Bedroom is powered by an 'ordinary' amp. Yet, they sound good. Just because the way the speakers are interacting with the room.

My best guess.

The problem is only with Airtel DTH. For all the other sources, the sound is fine in my HT room and much better than my other set ups. Only for Airtel DTH, it's the opposite. So is it really the room acoustics or some issue with the HDMI IN in Oppo 105 where I connect Airtel DTH?

John.

Can you describe how they sound different? That will help FMs to visualize the problem.
May be you can bring the marantz to your HT room and check.

Can you describe how they sound different? That will help FMs to visualize the problem.
May be you can bring the marantz to your HT room and check.

By "lifeless" I mean a recessed high end and low end. But it sounds fine in both the other setups.

I do have Denon 2310 lying in my HT room unused. I could try that. But too lazy to do that as I only watch HD sports in my HT room from Airtel. However once in a while I want to watch Mtunes HD and VH1 in the HT room. That's where I get the issue.

It could be the STB issue as well. I could also try a different STB in the HT room from one of the other rooms.

I just wanted to check if other Oppo 105 users faced similar issue with HDMI-IN.

-John.

Back