Oppo BDP-105: Mini Review

Thanks Satish
Yes it does not recognize HD audio stream on HDMI input but if the HTPC can decode audio to multi channel PCM and send it on HDMI, Oppo will play HD- as per discussions on other forums..

Meanwhile have you tried playing any movie file (with HD audio)on Oppo through USB?

Hi Santy.. I have not tried it. Also, I do not think I have any content on USB with DTS HD or Dolby HD.
If you happen to come across any such content to test, please point me to the URL and I will try it out. Also, what is to be observed? Better SQ or some thing should light up on the player? (On PS3 a special glow symbol comes up). Please remember that my Oppo is connected in 2.1 mode.

This is quite strange that I received an e-mail that some one posted on this thread but when I logged in there are no new post :confused:

Anyways.. coming back to Oppo.. It happened to me for the first time that I actually bought another Oppo BDP-105D for using it in Germany. I have never bought any equipment two times and definitely not both times brand NEW!

That already says about how much I like the way Oppo BDP presents the sound! Though I am not writing this post only to talk more about my personal likings.
I have paired the Oppo BDP-105D with Beolab 9 and Oppo acts as DAC + Pre-amp. The combination is spectacular. I am a big fan of active designs especially the ones which can go down in frequency range. So, I can happily recommend Oppo for this purpose.
However, if some one is considering the Darbee version in comparison to the regular version, IMO Darbee edition is not that 'magical' with video. It is alright but I would not spend extra money for this edition unless you have trained eyes and Darbee ticks it for you.

Hi Guys,

An important query -

The 105's digital inputs can accept DD & DTS 5.1 in the SPIDF - Optical & COAX.
To wit, can I -
- Connect my media center (PopcornHour C-200) via Toslink cable from its SPID/F Optical-out to the Oppo BDP-105's digital input SPIDF Optical-in and bit-stream the DD & DTS 5.1 audio signals, which I presume the 105 will accept.
- Can I connect the 105's SPIDF Optical-out via Toslink cable & connect it to my basic HT setup's Optical-in & have the C-200's bit-streamed DD & DTS 5.1 audio signals being directed via the 105's SPIDF out to my basic HT setup? Basically does the 105 have a by-pass function to direct a bit-stream signal as is from it's Optical-in to it's Optical-out?

Anything that can shed light on this is greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,
Aaron

Hi Guys,

An important query -

The 105's digital inputs can accept DD & DTS 5.1 in the SPIDF - Optical & COAX.
To wit, can I -
- Connect my media center (PopcornHour C-200) via Toslink cable from its SPID/F Optical-out to the Oppo BDP-105's digital input SPIDF Optical-in and bit-stream the DD & DTS 5.1 audio signals, which I presume the 105 will accept.
- Can I connect the 105's SPIDF Optical-out via Toslink cable & connect it to my basic HT setup's Optical-in & have the C-200's bit-streamed DD & DTS 5.1 audio signals being directed via the 105's SPIDF out to my basic HT setup? Basically does the 105 have a by-pass function to direct a bit-stream signal as is from it's Optical-in to it's Optical-out?

Anything that can shed light on this is greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,
Aaron

Oppo 105 is a blu-ray player cum media player, so why do you want to use the Popcorn hour c200 when the oppo itself can do all in a better way. I would say just use the Oppo for all media playback and connect its 5.1 ch analog out to your HT setup if it has 5.1 ch analog in otherwise use the Toslink/coaxial of the Oppo and connect to your HT.

Oppo 105 is a blu-ray player cum media player, so why do you want to use the Popcorn hour c200 when the oppo itself can do all in a better way. I would say just use the Oppo for all media playback and connect its 5.1 ch analog out to your HT setup if it has 5.1 ch analog in otherwise use the Toslink/coaxial of the Oppo and connect to your HT.

Well, for a couple of reasons:
- The 105 official firmware does not support ISO playback. I have quite a few of these stored in my C-200 internal HDD & the C-200 has no issues playing them.
- Ease of using a familiar device (For my wife) before she transitions to the 105.
- Nostalgia :)

Having said that I have alternate idea. Could I look at connecting the C-200's HDMI out into the 105 outputting video & bit-streaming audio?
Ergo, could I then get the bit-stream audio data of the C-200 out from the 105's digital optical output that would be then connected to my HT receiver?

This is quite strange that I received an e-mail that some one posted on this thread but when I logged in there are no new post :confused:

Anyways.. coming back to Oppo.. It happened to me for the first time that I actually bought another Oppo BDP-105D for using it in Germany. I have never bought any equipment two times and definitely not both times brand NEW!

That already says about how much I like the way Oppo BDP presents the sound! Though I am not writing this post only to talk more about my personal likings.
I have paired the Oppo BDP-105D with Beolab 9 and Oppo acts as DAC + Pre-amp. The combination is spectacular. I am a big fan of active designs especially the ones which can go down in frequency range. So, I can happily recommend Oppo for this purpose.
However, if some one is considering the Darbee version in comparison to the regular version, IMO Darbee edition is not that 'magical' with video. It is alright but I would not spend extra money for this edition unless you have trained eyes and Darbee ticks it for you.
Hi Sat
Since you have used Oppos with different amps and speakers, how would you rate its sound vis a vis a similarly priced stand alone tube player like Line magnetic or Jolida? Im looking for a source upgrade from my denon cd player and would welcome any input.
cheers

Hi Sat
Since you have used Oppos with different amps and speakers, how would you rate its sound vis a vis a similarly priced stand alone tube player like Line magnetic or Jolida? Im looking for a source upgrade from my denon cd player and would welcome any input.
cheers

As a source BDP-105 is great because it supports various formats and inputs. But it shines over the rest because it has an excellent DAC stage as well as very good digital pre-amp. The resolution of the DAC in Oppo is the best at its price range and easily beats the Classe CP-800 but when it comes down the chain (amp & speakers), it gets to your personal choice. The synergy between the amp & speakers is more important as Oppo is almost totally transparent and as you know any color that you get in final sound in your room will be mostly from the speakers as well as the room.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back