Oppo BDP-83 2 Channel Audio quality

raj

I am interested in finding out about the stereo (analog) sound quality of Oppo BDP-83 for playing CD's. I have an opportunity to bring a Denon 3930ci DVD player from US (if I make the trip after all this volcano chaos that is). It is used and my brother bought it in ebay for around 400 USD. In future I am thinking of getting an external DAC to play the music. But that is a while away.
In the meantime, I am wondering if getting the Oppo would be a good idea. I get the BD playing for a $100 more.
But the primary purpose is to play 2 channel music. So, if Oppo is not that great, I will skip it for now and get it when I want a BD player. The Denon is supposed to be good (at least in that price range).
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi Raj,

The stereo audio quality is good, I am not sure how good. If you are in Bangalore, I can get mine and do a A/B comparison.
In terms of chipset, they use the same as CA CD player, but not sure of the rest of the circuitry.

Regards,
Sudhir

Last edited:
I had an opportunity to compare the BD-83 to the CD6002 at my place. The Oppo is decent but not audiophile quality. If you just want to play something that sounds nice without involving yourself too much it is good for that. It bested the Marantz in definition of higher frequencies cymbals etc, but on the whole the sound did not carry the body and weight and smoothness that Marantz HDAMs bring to make the SQ be termed as audiophile. Vocal reproduction was easily better with Marantz.

Having heard the CA DV99 as well I think the Marantz CD6002 is your cheapest entry into audiophile sound.

Regards

hai, i am also in the same league.whether you compare these two by taking the optical outs or analogue outs?because i want to use my preamp dac.if optical out sounds same in both players then i can go for oppo/denon.

I checked dedicated stereo mode for pure audio. if you take digital out then outcome will depend on external DAC.

Regards

all non-DAC differences will be remain relevant....especially the transport.

hai, thansk for your information,i need little bit clarification. that means if i take optical out from both the players and connected to my preamp dac then as per your word there is no difference in the output quality. is it true? if yes then i can go for either oppo/denon blueray player rather than a dedicated cd player(i want to take only digital out and use the player as transport).

hai, thansk for your information,i need little bit clarification. that means if i take optical out from both the players and connected to my preamp dac then as per your word there is no difference in the output quality. is it true? if yes then i can go for either oppo/denon blueray player rather than a dedicated cd player(i want to take only digital out and use the player as transport).

Correct. The DAC will determine the sound assuming the transports are almost the same quality. Then if one of these products has 3 lens pick-up or less jitter specs etc then go with that one as transport as SQ will be superior.

Edit: Also check build quality, heavy damped chassis, if tray is flimsy etc since now built-in DAC is of secondary importance.

Regards

Last edited:
while the disc is rotating, it might happen that bits are dropped. I think this is taken care by error correction - reading the same content more than once? Not sure on this. And then in music, besides 0 and 1, it is important that they arrive in time.

At 600 odd dollars, the BD-83SE is not worth it if the the need is only for music. A CD player will perform much better, and at a lower cost.

Cheers

I am interested in finding out about the stereo (analog) sound quality of Oppo BDP-83 for playing CD's. I have an opportunity to bring a Denon 3930ci DVD player from US (if I make the trip after all this volcano chaos that is). It is used and my brother bought it in ebay for around 400 USD. In future I am thinking of getting an external DAC to play the music. But that is a while away.
In the meantime, I am wondering if getting the Oppo would be a good idea. I get the BD playing for a $100 more.
But the primary purpose is to play 2 channel music. So, if Oppo is not that great, I will skip it for now and get it when I want a BD player. The Denon is supposed to be good (at least in that price range).
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi

Without knowing other components in the system, it will be hard to say if the Oppo is a worthwhile investment.

having said this, generally speaking, the Oppo analogue circuitry is better than other universal players at the same price range. BUT this again depends on the source material, speakers, your room setup etc.

If its for casual listening, i.e, background music then either player or even a cheaper CDP would do as you will not hear much differnece.

Hi

Without knowing other components in the system, it will be hard to say if the Oppo is a worthwhile investment.

having said this, generally speaking, the Oppo analogue circuitry is better than other universal players at the same price range. BUT this again depends on the source material, speakers, your room setup etc.

If its for casual listening, i.e, background music then either player or even a cheaper CDP would do as you will not hear much differnece.

My components are: Nakamichi CA-5 , Pass X-150 power amp and B&W N804 speakers. I use Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player as the source.

The Denon 3930ci has got very good reviews and is a favorite player for modding the IV Filter and clock. That made me interested in this player. (Denon 5910 is supposedly better but too heavy at around 50lb.) I have not listened to either one of them and so thought I would ask for opinions.
Looks like I should stick to Denon for now and get the Oppo later when I need/want a BD player. Thanks everyone for the opinion.

At 600 odd dollars, the BD-83SE is not worth it if the the need is only for music. A CD player will perform much better, and at a lower cost.

Cheers

I said primarily for music (not only for music). I also want the player to play DVDs once in a while. I have a projector in a different room and that takes care of most my movie needs. But sometimes, I watch movies on my LCD TV connected to this player. Hence the need for an all in one.
You mean $900 for 83SE right?

There are detailed reviews of the audio quality of the 83SE in different forums(avsforum).

The audio quality would be in this order

Oppo BD80<bd83<budget cd players<oppo bd83se

The 83SE is 900 USD so unless you have around 30% non-CD usage (movies) or have SACD usage, then it may not be worth it as you should be able to get better CD players at that price.

I just bought myself an oppo bdp83 used from a seller in Bangalore in 2022 in good working condition with remote. I hope it's good as a cdt thru coax and connected to an external dac ares2.

Anyone else still using the bdp83 as a transport? Your inputs pls.

Back