Oppo BDP-83

sinister

Hi Guys,

I imported Oppo BDP-83 from ebay.com from a seller who had a very good feedback and who was shipping worldwide. Like I mentioned in another post earlier had a very pleasant dealing with this seller. The total cost(including customs) came to around Rs.39K altogether. It reached me in less than 4 days from the day of sale.

Before I say anything about the support staff(TV, receiver or the lack of it), let me tell you I am an impulsive buyer. I have a 4 year old 42" Samsung plasma(not even HD ready) and a joke of a HTS(old Philips HTS 3105 or something like that). I am about to start construction of my dream home and would like some gyan from gurus here as to what would be the right dimensions for a dedicated HT room. I may not yet be ready to buy the TV and receiver/speakers yet, but knowing me I may just buy them even before I start construction. But my estimate is that my home will be done in abt 2years, since I am just starting with the design.

The picture quality is great with the Oppo, but I am not sure I am doing justice to Oppo by saying that without testing with an appropriate TV.

If someone wants to check out the Oppo in Bangalore, I am more than willing to get my Oppo to some place where people can check it out. Oh well, BTW, I havent yet mentioned that I am a noob with this A/V stuff, so I may have missed out on the salient points(even though this is such a big post). So if any other info is needed, please do let me know and I will try to get it here(even if I have to scour the manual for this).

Looking for some gyan on the room dimensions(for now).

Cheers,
S.

Last edited:
Hi sinister,

Congrats for your Oppo.. As you very well said you are not doing justice to Oppo by connecting an HD ready or FHD TV.. Hope you will have pleasure of enjoying the same soon.:)

And I appreciate your generous offer on taking your Oppo to test the sytems which any bangy people will not refuse and utlise to test their system which will help to improve/tune their AV performance to highest standard.:clapping:

If someone wants to check out the Oppo in Bangalore, I am more than willing to get my Oppo to some place where people can check it out.

If you only want to compare the SQ for pure audio usage, we can compare against my Marantz CDP 6003 on a weekend if you are game. :)

Regards

Sure thingy. Can you please PM your number to me and we can hookup sometime soon.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Oppo I got is hardware modified to play all zones and regions.

Cheers,
S.

If you only want to compare the SQ for pure audio usage, we can compare against my Marantz CDP 6003 on a weekend if you are game. :)

Regards

Hi Srini,

Thanks!!! Hope to fully utilize Oppo sooner than later. That said am not sure how long "soon" is for me, 'cause as I mentioned I donno if I should wait to start splurging now or wait till I am done with my home(which could be 2 yrs from now).

Any suggestions on how the HT room should be designed - the dimensions(including the height), et all?

Thanks,
S.

Hi sinister,

Congrats for your Oppo.. As you very well said you are not doing justice to Oppo by connecting an HD ready or FHD TV.. Hope you will have pleasure of enjoying the same soon.:)

And I appreciate your generous offer on taking your Oppo to test the sytems which any bangy people will not refuse and utlise to test their system which will help to improve/tune their AV performance to highest standard.:clapping:

You have missed today Bangy meet.. U missed all the great guys there.. Check with Santhosh / Subhash/opert who are all having dedicated HT in Banglore... Can have a good idea about it after interacting/ visiting their places..

Santhosh will be interested in inviting you with oppo to test on his dedicated HT, since he is hooked up with PS3..

regards

Sure thingy. Can you please PM your number to me and we can hookup sometime soon.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Oppo I got is hardware modified to play all zones and regions.

Cheers,
S.

where did u get this mod from ??? could you tell me the process since im also getting an oppo

Thanks Venkat. Will certainly keep that in mind. Will go thro' the xls sheet you pointed to in detail. My first impression of it though is that there is some information(jargon) I may not understand. Will definitely come back to pick your brains more :).

Regards,
S.

The ideal room size is 19(w) x 14(L) x 10(H) in feet. There is an interesting calculator that calculates a lot of things. Please check it out at http://www.carltonbale.com/ht/calculator/theater_calculator_v4.0.xls.

Cheers

Wow! So there was a Bangy meet. Was it a virtual one or a "real" meet. Anywayz, I am late to the party as always :( !!!

Will definitely keep the names you have mentioned in mind and ping them to see if they'll let me pick their brains :).

Thanks again!

Regards,
S.

You have missed today Bangy meet.. U missed all the great guys there.. Check with Santhosh / Subhash/opert who are all having dedicated HT in Banglore... Can have a good idea about it after interacting/ visiting their places..

Santhosh will be interested in inviting you with oppo to test on his dedicated HT, since he is hooked up with PS3..

regards

I bought it hardware modified. But there are sites which sell these for about $90 with free shipping. You can for one check out ebay.com. It has lots of such listings. Note that some of them offer shipping worldwide. Hope that helps!

where did u get this mod from ??? could you tell me the process since im also getting an oppo

Last edited:
Hi Sinister,
congratulation for getting this oppo. Hopw you are enjoying it. Can you please tell me how is it possible to get it shipped in 4 days. You mean to say from USA to India in 4 days then how much did you pay for shipping and through which company was it done?
Thnaks.

Hi Mahiruha,

Thanks! Yes, I got the Oppo in 4 days. It was shipped through UPS(Expedited) and I bought it through eBay.com. I was too impatient to wait to get my hands on the Oppo and so shelled out about $160 for shipping alone :) ! All inclusive the Oppo came to around 37k(+2.4k for customs).

Regards,
Sreedhar.

Hi Sinister,
congratulation for getting this oppo. Hopw you are enjoying it. Can you please tell me how is it possible to get it shipped in 4 days. You mean to say from USA to India in 4 days then how much did you pay for shipping and through which company was it done?
Thnaks.

Thanks Sinister for the info.I have long planned to get this oppo and it seems to be the right deal. Also the delivery time seems to be quite good. Which ebay seller did you get it from? Did you get any warranty on this product?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Oppo waranty is not availabe for modded players.

Sinister, congrats on your new purchase. if you have some sacds or BDs (with Dolby TrueHD), could you try them and let me know if you notice any audio dropouts. a few users have reported this online. although not a deal breaker, i would like to know your experience.

Last edited:
Left you a PM on the ebay seller info, as I was not sure if I will be violating any rules if I reveal the info in the public space. As for warranty, like Vishanv has mentioned it may not be valid(since it was anyway out of US, didnt bother much).

Cheers,
S.

Thanks Sinister for the info.I have long planned to get this oppo and it seems to be the right deal. Also the delivery time seems to be quite good. Which ebay seller did you get it from? Did you get any warranty on this product?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hi Vishanv,

Thanks! As I had mentioned in my first post, I dont have a decent HT setup(receivers, et all). Planning to hookup with someone who does and when I do, will check these things out for you and post the results here. I am hoping that will be either this weekend of next at most!

Cheers,
S.

Oppo waranty is not availabe for modded players.

Sinister, congrats on your new purchase. if you have some sacds or BDs (with Dolby TrueHD), could you try them and let me know if you notice any audio dropouts. a few users have reported this online. although not a deal breaker, i would like to know your experience.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back