Oppo dv983h

neo

Hey! Just got my oppo 983.Have not even connected it as yet. It's a region 1 player as i got from the US.
Does any one know how to the oppo 983 to make it region free???

Try this:

Press Setup. Press "9210" in quick succession. A new window will appear. Press "0". Press Setup to exit.

Hello Guys. I am new to this Forum.

Just wanted to say I also recently got a 983 and it gives absolutely wonderful video. In the same DVD that I have viewed before with a Pioneer 585 player, I heard and saw new items that I dod not know were there in the movie.

I actually have taken the precaution of having two DVD Players. The Oppo 983 to play original DVDs, and a Pioneer DV400 to play DVDs I am not very sure about in terms of quality. I have also tried the 983 for some music and it is very very good. I also plan to get a Oppo 980 some time this month.

Venkat from Chennai

Try this:

Press Setup. Press "9210" in quick succession. A new window will appear. Press "0". Press Setup to exit.

Thanks, when you say try this does it mean it will def work or it may work.
Have any of you done it on your oppo 983??

Thanks for the review audiodelic. Though i've yet to use my oppo, it seems i made atleast a decent choice by not get getting the PS3 or the
panasonic BD-30 esp since audio was my main concern.
Cheers

I don't have this Oppo but a friend does and he says this is how he did it. A quick google search also confrims it. Don't think anything can go wrong.. so try it, SETUP - 9210 apparently presents you with the region menu with '0' being all regions..

I have a 983 and I have made it region free with the steps mentioned above. It DOES work.

Cheers.

I have an Oppo 981 ( was the latest model when it was brot in from US in June 07), & the regionfree hack mentioned appears to be standard one across all their models.
It IS a great Universal player & great VFM.
Wish it was available locally too but Oppo does'nt operate that way, it seems.

Alright! thanks.
Would it also need a frimware upgrade?? How do i find out what would be my firmware??
Regards

You wont need a firmware upgrade for changing the region code.. Plug in your player and try it.. nothing can go wrong and now many ppl have confirmed it.

Alright! thanks.
Would it also need a frimware upgrade?? How do i find out what would be my firmware??
Regards

You will not need the firmware upgrade specifically for the region free feature but it might help in other ways as they oppo fixes lot of issues in its firmware upgrades.

IF you want to do it, its easy, follow this link:-
OPPO DV-983H DVD Player Firmware Update

Don't take any Pungas with the firmware when you don't need to!
Just use the region hack & get going...

Regarding availability in India, AudioVision resells it here..the 980 was for Rs. 21,000 when I asked. I will refrain from further comment.

Yes i got the region free thing, the firmware upgrade is diff question, sorry for the misunderstanding.
By the way how imp it is to upgrade the firmware??
Cheers
You wont need a firmware upgrade for changing the region code.. Plug in your player and try it.. nothing can go wrong and now many ppl have confirmed it.

Last edited:
The Oppo Digital site gives details on how to check the firmware that your set has, what firmware upgrades have been released since then, what are they meant for etc.
If an upgrade addresses an issue important to you, only then should you consider an upgrade.Most of the time its best to leave well enough alone & enjoy your set.

Enjoy!
You possess whats currently the best upscaling DVD player in the world
& I do hope you have a vgood Display Panel to extract the max benefit out of it.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back