OPPO PM-1 Over-the-Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones

jls001

Review of the OPPO PM-1 Over-the-Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones here.

It does look like a credible alternative to the Audezes and Hifimans.

Note also that the reviewer refers briefly to the Oppo HA-1 headphone amp cum DAC (does 24/384 and DSD).

That's a really amazing box: worth every cent of US$1100 and... WHOA! FREE HEADPHONES! :lol:

Definitely one for the High-End Ambition List. Might even knock Audeze into second place on mine, especially as it seems it is going to be lighter and more comfortable.

Thanks for giving me more ambitions I can't afford :D ;)

Planar headphones are coming back in a big way. But yeah, its for audiophiles with deep pockets.
I was quite surprised to see OPPO in portable audio/ head fi. Knowing them, performance will be top notch.

free headphones???
...with the very expensive box.

Just my little joke :eek:.

And it is quite a box: real veneer on plywood [I think it's ply]. Might be as well made as some speaker cabinets. You also get a portable carry-case and the 'phones fold flat to fit it.

~

Last edited:
I should get mine next week... I travel a lot and these would be perfect for listening to in the hotel. Plus, I can sling them around my neck when checking in for flights, especially now that airlines are getting fascist about the 7kg weight allowance.

(( I wear a jacket on planes, even when travelling from one tropical climate to another: it's surprising how much one can stuff into the pockets ))

It would be nice to use those headphones on the plane, but open-backs wouldn't be good for that.

I should get mine next week

Wow :D :D :D <--- Big envy :lol:

Looking forward to your write-up!

(( I wear a jacket on planes, even when travelling from one tropical climate to another: it's surprising how much one can stuff into the pockets ))

Hehe, yeah. I wear cargo shorts and usually, just telling the airlines guys that you'll do that solves the problem.

My headphone collection seems to be stabilizing: HD800 and LCD2 for home (3s, if i can ever sell my 2s), and HP50s/Heir 5.0s for general public use. I have a few others for special genres, but that's about it. If the Oppos live up to their reviews, I'd be set.

Another droolmaal using the same technology, but at a stratospheric five and half (American) grands from the founder of JPS Labs, the (pricey) audio cable guys.

Yep. I haven't even bothered to browse about that one!* In much the same way as I haven't spent much time finding out about Stax. Sure, there is always curiosity about high-end stuff I'll never be able to buy, but, on the headphone front, Sennheiser, Audeze, and now Oppo, plus a few others more than fill the 'phones browsing time with stuff that may lie on the edge of dreaming, but who knows, I might just wake up, one day, to find that I pressed the buy button in my sleep :D.

Looking forward to a review on this site. Head-fi, of course, is buzzing.

I do luuuurve that beautiful wooden box, but... what do people think? Is it money wasted? I'm inclined to think that a pair of 'phones this expensive should have a safe, secure home, and why should it not be good-looking too!

*Actually, the comments (3 at time of reading) on that page are very pertinent --- and make one feel a whole heap better about never going to have $5,000 to spend on headphones!

~

Last edited:
Cheaper in China?

Is it?

(I hope not, as I have a family member there on business just now, and he owes me a favour. Not as big a favour as a PM-1, but certainly as big as carrying one :D)

~

Been listening to the Oppos.

First off - if you just care about musicality, get the LCD2s. They are better, IMO. The Oppos are lighter, easier to drive and travel with - and do come quite close to the LCD2s in terms of sound quality.

I am looking forward to expansion on that :)

By the way, how did you get your oppos? From USA? What was the all-in cost of doing that?

I got them shipped over via Shop and Ship (Aramex) - you can also use another US freight forwarder like Usamail1.com.

I posted a slightly longer version of this on that same Head-Fi thread where you posted - check it out. My user name there is the same as here.

Cheers. Saw your posts on Head-Fi, where I signed up only recently after a long time of just using the site for reference.

^^ Yup, pretty much what the non-fanboi crowd at Head-fi is saying: very nice sound, doesnt do anything badly but is a very polite headphone.

^^ Yup, pretty much what the non-fanboi crowd at Head-fi is saying ...

From following the stuff posted there, I'm thinking that, despite the attraction of the PM-1 luxury build, packaging and presentation (which are things that one doesn't actually listen to), the PM-2 is probably a much better deal at a much more appropriate price ...and it should be on sale within days now.

From following the stuff posted there, I'm thinking that, despite the attraction of the PM-1 luxury build, packaging and presentation (which are things that one doesn't actually listen to), the PM-2 is probably a much better deal at a much more appropriate price ...and it should be on sale within days now.

I posted this there as well - the PM1 really is a $700 headphone (PM2) dressed up in fancy clothes. And the PM2 is probably a $500 headphone with a premium for size, weight and sensitivity.

For sure the PM2 will be a better buy provided it has the same signature. Although if I were Oppo, I dont know why I'd do something like that - it would destroy the PM1 sales. In their shoes, i'd make up something like "95% of the same performance, blah blah" - that way, the insecure audiophiles would pony up to get the PM1 and the value conscious crowd would get the PM2.

I dont really find the fit and finish of the PM1 to be spectacular. I mean, it is nice. And for $1100, it jolly well better be! It isnt really noteworthy to me.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back