Pakistani Music

Coke Studio Pakistan made me realise that they are damn good at fusion music. The renditions of classics are simply superb. Not into serials, but heard they are way better than our unbearable soaps.

Sanam Marvi, Nusrat & Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Abida Parveen, Ghulam Ali, Mehdi Hassan, Attaullah Khan Esakhelvi, Arif Lohar, Sajjad Ali, the list goes on and on

Listening to them for yrs, like coke studio pakistan , kashmir beats, quaratalain baloch, farhan saeed, Ali Sethi , Kaifi Khalil , Ali Zafar, Momina Musteshan, Hadiqa Kiani, the list is endless.

I was totally unaware of the music of pakistan except some doyens of classical music like ustad salamat Ali khan, Ghulam Ali, Mehedi Hassan and so on. Coke studio pakistan makes me aware of the fact that Hussain Jahangir whose "hawa hawa " was popular in late 80's is still alive. Many thanks to youtube as now we can listen to various genres of music of the world . Pakistan does have some good singers as it used to have in past. Anyways I heard once that pakistan had a band called JAL. Does it still exist?
Regards

Highly recommend this jazz-fusion band from Lahore called Jaubi. This album 'Nafs at Peace' was one of my favorite releases of 2021. They collaborate with UK flutist Tenderlonius and Polish composer Marek Pedziwiatr on here. The use of the sarangi gives the music a hauntingly beautiful vibe.

IMG_20231107_102002_761.jpg

I was totally unaware of the music of pakistan except some doyens of classical music like ustad salamat Ali khan, Ghulam Ali, Mehedi Hassan and so on. Coke studio pakistan makes me aware of the fact that Hussain Jahangir whose "hawa hawa " was popular in late 80's is still alive. Many thanks to youtube as now we can listen to various genres of music of the world . Pakistan does have some good singers as it used to have in past. Anyways I heard once that pakistan had a band called JAL. Does it still exist?
Regards
Th old JAL disintegrated as Farhan Saeed and Atif Aslam went solo, but the band still exists.

What I like in particular about the Pakistani music scene, be it Pop, Rock, Sufi, Ghazals or Classical, is how it has remained truer to the roots and not strayed much on account of popularity and media demands. So, for example, Pakistani ghazal singers continued to maintain the classical base while the Ghazal scene in India moved towards more popular rendition styles. One hardly finds true blue Sufi singers in India, almost everyone is into Sufi-rock. Even Pakistani folk music and singers like Alam Lohar, Arif Lohar Allen Fakir and Ataullah Khan have had a lot of urban following for their earthy music. We all know that when it comes to sub-continent Pop and Rock, Pakistani stars/bands pioneered and reached greater heights. They just got the genres’ pulse and stayed with it. Classical music has not grown/evolved as much in Pakistan as in India, but some lineages of gharanas such as Qwaal Baccha, Patiala, Pooch, Sham Chaurasi have survived beyond the border and produced world that one can get lost listening to in an evening.

In short, a lot of Pakistani music still has the ‘mitti ki boo’ (smell of the soil) and that to me is its distinctive character. And then the poetic language Urdu and its lyrical magic has enriched and ornamented it further. Also, while the Indian music scene was and remains dominated by film music, the Pakistani music scene has had a more even balance across genres/ forms.

Last edited:
i have been lately also listening to pakistani music..i dont know how many are interested but even their ost for serials are too gud
Thanks for suggesting something that I never knew. Just that the language is so Punjabi and Urdu, that I find it very difficult to understand. However the music is swell.

There is a channel on YouTube - "The Dream Journey" https://youtube.com/@TheDreamJourney?feature=shared
where the team of six music enthusiast friends go to remote villages to discover and record various artists in their living environment. Many of these qawwals from various gharanas are simply outstanding. The channel is a treasure trove for classical or traditional music enthusiasts. They also have captions in English for people to understand the composition due to unfamiliarity with language.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back