Pana TH-L32S10 Vs Samsung LA32B530

The Pana S10 as claimed has IPS Alpha panal and this one based on wiki TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia looks to be latest and the best available. Any comments ?

well the ips alpha is a panel made from that company,the ones on the S10 are no better the the lg panels,the wiki article states that the ips pro matches the contrast of the VA panels,but that is wrong they still are miles behind the VA,they however match the VA panels of 2007.
secondly their is more in a tv then just the panel like the image processing which seperates a BENQ lcd tv from the sony/samsung.

Thanks. What exactly is VA ? Pretty new to all this. So your bet will be more on Samy than Pana S10 ? How about Philips 5609. Read a lot of good comments from spiro on this mainly regarding the PQ. I mainly view tatsky and at times DVD movies so I am basically looking for a great PQ, long term reliability in terms of product performance and service. So still a bit confused.

Any feedback from Ram (Madbullram of course ) ?

Last edited:
well VA based panels have far greater contrast compared to IPS panels,which increases the perception of depth in the image.

the 5609 is one of better tvs for its price of around 33k,

but if u want the best from TS or DVD or a SD source then the EX400 is better ,it als has a higher contrast.the philps however as a slight edge in motion.

Still undecided. Visited quiete a few shops but none had all the models pana S10, samy B530/B550 and Philips 5609. I had to see them indivisually and they all look gr8 in any case.

Infidel - Did you make up your mind ?

Is B550 worth the extra price when compared to B530 ?

Well that's just perfect, I bought one just a few hours ago. It'll be delivered in a few days, I might go back tomorrow and get another one. Sony/Samsung have lag and suck for gaming and pannys now apparently aren't as good as I thought... or maybe not? Maybe that review just sucks. I really want a new TV. This really sucks.

in the panasonic one has no control over the backlight,the tv dims and brightens according to the scenes which the image processing decides.so the tv having a IPS panels have a more aggressive auto dim and bright.

Are you sure there's no control over backlight? Similar 32" pannys have reviews/impressions out there and they talk about backlight and in an avs thread on the S1 model somebody said you can turn auto-dimming off by changing some settings that I think included the backlight. This is a problem that avs has been all over and there's a huge thread for the S1 model and nothing about auto-dimming. Then again this is S10 and not S1...

Infidel - Did you make up your mind ?

As I said in this post I bought the S10 but it's not here yet, now I regret it though and not sure what to do. Wanted to buy an EX500 but the lag is appalling on it.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but the one I bought was a TH-L32S10 and not a TX-L32S10 like in that what hi fi review...

Infidel, TH and TX have almost the same specs. Neverthless I did visit the dealer and checked the menus and options for S10. Certainily it does not have a backlight control as like in Samy B530. Also there is no other controls like RGB, Gamma . But what I am not sure if these really make major difference.

Yeah I just got it and there's no way to control the backlight or gamma.

Anyway I'm going to stick with this TV for about a year or two and then upgrade, it's generations ahead of the 2007 panny LCD I had so that's more than good enough. Not having to worry about input lag is also a plus.

Last update: I hate this TV.

Just started playing Uncharted 2 and noticed auto-dim... Hm, thought I could live with it. but it got worse and worse in dark areas, really annoying. This could be turned off with the american model I think, that ends with S1, but the S10? Nope. So I went to the store to return it... and they won't take it back. I'm one day late for their 48 hours policy. Hooray! Oh, and they dropped the price on most of their TVs - including the one I bought. Like rubbing salt in my wound.

I think this problem was also in my old panny LCD but not as noticeable. I'm not sure, it's really obvious with the uncharted loading screen, I might take my PS3 to the old one and test it again.

One minor thing that also kind of disappointed me was having to set contrast really high, in the 90s, to calibrate it right using the set up feature in pixar's wall-e blu-ray. Now I checked some recommended settings from cnet for another 32" panny LCD and they set contrast at 100. They did have the option of changing the backlight settings but I'm not sure if that would change anything regarding contrast in either direction. The reason for this is that setting it really high stresses out my eyes. It's really only noticeable on some screens, like when it's mostly white, or the menu when for wall-e, but you get the idea. I don't know if this is natural and everybody has it and I'm being too fussy about it or not, just thought I'd mention it.

One last thing, I keep reading on forums how IPS is really bad for gaming with blur and others say it actually has the least blur. What's going on here? I wish I had a plasma to compare it to. I think this one is a bit better than my old panny LCD in that regard, still not sure though, maybe I'll do some more testing on both.

I don't mean to white too much but I just discovered a picture overscan option that was turned on and cropped out the image/zoomed in on it. What the hell? Only now did I get all three rectangles showing up with the Pixar calibration, all along the TV (and the old one I used) weren't showing the whole damn picture.

What's the point of this 'feature' other than to ruin the image? I feel like breaking this TV.

I swear this is the LAST time I'm bumping this thread, but I just wanted to share this awesome news: it's fixed! The auto-dim is gone! hooray google! I found out from a thread I found via a google search that it's only in normal mode that the backlight fluctuates. I switched to cinema, and it's gone. Then game mode, and it's still gone. I think dynamic also doesn't haven't, I don't remember. I changed the settings to look like normal, and now I'm set. Cinema is a bit darker even with exact settings, but who cares I'll stick to game mode.

Usually I hear game mode looks worse and you can't calibrate it as you wish but in this case I already turned off the processing stuff that didn't do anything and changed contrast/brightness/color to what I had under normal. I think it's because this TV already has low input lag and game mode was just there for marketing purposes.

Sorry for annoying everybody so much, but damn I'm happy right now. It started when I thought it was gone after turning on eco mode, but it was still there only the brightness range it fluctuated in was smaller. Then I found that thread, which I think I read before buying the TV but I forgot about it. I can finally play some games now, watch some blu-rays. :D

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back