Panasonic DMP-BD60 Modding For All

svenkateshsmart

MODDING THE PANASONIC DMP BD-60, 55, 80

Hi,

I wanted to share it the first time I did this, but did not have a good camera or did not know how to put it. So, after a hectic schedule and overdose of music, here is the modding:

You need the following items before you start: Soldering gun with a sharp tip, flux, lead, wires (front USB cables are used), Panasonic DMP-BD 60, 80 55 and the mod chip.

The player used here is a Region A player and I have used a Region B title Narnia The Prince Caspian for testing. What you see below in the picture is the player that is to be modded using the mod chip, which is also shown in the picture.

You need to solder the terminals A, B, C, E, F, Gnd, +3ve on the chip and on the Panasonic player as indicated in your mod chip diagram. This is a different chip from the one I used before, but the soldering points are all the same. You can solder Gnd, +3ve, E, F easily without any assistance, but you need to have someone to assist you to solder A, B, C, as it is on the legs of 5-legged IC that is as small as a chicklet.

step1n.jpg

step1a.jpg

p1000091by.jpg

p1000084.jpg

Step 1: Open the cabinet of the player by removing screws on the side and back portions of the player

step2k.jpg

Step 2: Choose wires that are seen inside the panasonic player, I have used the front USB wires which are available in any nearby computer shop.

Step 3: Trim the edges of the wires and dip the edges of the wire in the soldering flux and dip it in lead on the tip of the soldering iron.

step3e.jpg

Step 4: Solder the A B C on the board and then E, F and then the gnd and +3ve

step6nt.jpg

Step 5: Use a cello tape or insulation tape to secure the wires so as to prevent from detaching

Step 6: Solder the points A, B, C, E, F, gnd, +3ve on the soldering chip

step7.jpg

step81.jpg

Step 7: Secure the cables as to not touch the PCB or the mechanism as well as the circuit board.

step8v.jpg

step10a.jpg

Step 8: Plug in the cable and test the player using a Region B or C BD and once you confirm its working, go ahead and cover the cabinet.

step11n.jpg

step12.jpg

Step 9: Now you have a Region-free modded Panasonic DMP BD-55, 60 or 80.

step13.jpg

step14.jpg

step15.jpg

Okay, friends, let me go and watch a movie! Have a happy weekend! Wish I could get some audition of a good stereo setup tomorrow or on Monday, letz see!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Good tutorial Venkatesh:clapping:... I have kept my next player with mod chip ready, but dont have guts to do myself, will take your help.:)

Venkatesh,

Good job! .... :clapping: and nice tutorial on what you did .... now I know who has sharp hands and soldering iron when I buy my blue ray with mod...

Hope some mod kit comes for PS3 :rolleyes:

Kittu

Thanks for step by step info.
I think someone too earlier posted his modding experience with another BDP.Dont remember the name.

Awesome Work !! Way to go champ !! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

A little off topic..How is the stereo audio quality of this player ?

Awesome Work !! Way to go champ !! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

A little off topic..How is the stereo audio quality of this player ?

Hi,

I am currently in search of a dedicated CD player or a decent DVD player to add to my stereo setup, which can explain the audio quality of the player.

We cannot expect much from an entry-level blu-ray player. Looks like if we want to get a good audio out of a DVD player, then we should look at Oppo-BD-83 SE at around $999.

Cheers!

Found the mod kit in my apartment mail box in an envelope :eek: and successfully modded my Panny BD60 player. I played a Region B The Way Back BD. All perfectly fine. Thanks Once again Venkat.:yahoo:

I have a BD80 who a friend of mine bought 2 years back however have shifted my interest on BD rips. BTW how much does this modding board cost. Have seen some which can be connected to the VFD panel too and displays REGION on the front display.

I have a BD80 who a friend of mine bought 2 years back however have shifted my interest on BD rips. BTW how much does this modding board cost. Have seen some which can be connected to the VFD panel too and displays REGION on the front display.

A mode would cost around 29.90. Yes, there is an option to connect the chip to the front panel so you get to see the region in use.

Cheers!

Last edited:
A mode would cost around 29.90. Yes, there is an option to connect the chip to the front panel so you get to use the region in use.

Cheers!

I've done the mod where in the region is displayed in the front panel. The said part of the mod which involves soldering of 4 wires from the mod chip to the front panel, is specifically mentioned in the manual that it needs to be done only if the region display is required. This mod really required a hell of a lot of attention to detail during soldering. I hope all the solders are firmly set.

I got my new BD80 for $120 so the cost of the mod can only be justified if I wish to purchase a lot of Bluray Discs. Wish they could come cheap. The only thing I miss with ripped copies is the exceptional audio DTS MA. My laptop has a bluray reader as well as HDMI so this is not my cup of tea right now though my DIY fingers are tingling.

I got my new BD80 for $120 so the cost of the mod can only be justified if I wish to purchase a lot of Bluray Discs. Wish they could come cheap. The only thing I miss with ripped copies is the exceptional audio DTS MA. My laptop has a bluray reader as well as HDMI so this is not my cup of tea right now though my DIY fingers are tingling.

The mod kit cost is a one time affair. Since you already have the BluRay Player and soldering is a walk in the park for a DIY'er like you I think you should go in for the mod. Reason being if and when you get good deals on Region B or C bluray discs (or get landed up with one) you'll be held back by the fact that you can't play it on your player. I think the main reason people don't go in for the mod kit is considering the hassle involved more than the cost. And in case you're ordering the kit please be informed that the kit comes in a 6" x 4" envelope BY ORDINARY MAIL.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back