Panasonic DMP-BDT210 & Logitech Harmony One remote

nindo

Got the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 blu-ray player from Richer Sounds (UK) through a friend. Just a small review on it:

Classy looking sleek player (almost the same size as my existing LG DV388 DVD player, but a little heavier) with a nice lined pattern on the upper portion. Though the "wave on top to open" trick is good, but when you are playing a CD and for some reason someone puts his/her hand or keeps something (most of the times the CD/DVD/BD cover) on top, it stops playing and ejects the drive. You can turn this system off though. There is also a holographic 3D logo on top which looks cool.

The menu is slick and quite easy to navigate with the super simple remote provided. It has a nice appealing GUI and the help topics provided are quite exhaustive. Though on some websites the experts have mentioned the GUI to be confusing, I did not find it so. With the Viera link option on and the HDMI connected to ARC on the TV, when you put on the BDP the TV goes on automatically, which i found a little annoying, cos if i want to see TV only (connected to the STB) I couldnt do it without the BDP being on. But of course you can put this to "off" too.

BD loading times are quite fast. Much faster than my friend's Sony PS3 when i tried the Harry Potter BD. The picture is crystal clear, may be on par with the PS3 or a little better. The 300 BD looked really like a painting, and as you know it has a lot of dark scenes, which looked awesome (it might also be my new Sony LED. ;) ).

Coming to the sound part, cant comment much as i have presently connected it to my legacy Yamaha AVR through optical/TOSlink and hence cant get HD audio, but only DD or DTS. But Audio CDs are rocking. Way better sounding than my older Grundig DVD-P or LG DVD-P. I know LG DVD-P is no match to the Panny, but the Grundig was a decent CD player.

Tried WIFI connection on it and it logged on to my home network without any hassles. Tried Youtube on it and could play some of the non-HD videos quite well. HD was slow- but that is due to my slow net connection.! The interface for internet streaming option is super slick and you have options to add more "applications" from their "store". But most of it is of no use for us in India. ALso tried the Iphone remote control app and its a cool option to have. You can control everything on this BDP using your Iphone connected to your home network.

Over all i think its a great option at INR 11650/- (GBP 155 x 75) landed for me. Check out more details at: Home Entertainment - Blu-ray Players - DMP-BDT210 - Overview - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Next on is the Logitech Harmony One Advanced universal remote control which i got this time from Germany @ 99.! (approx INR 6750). Pretty cool looking remote with colored touch screen, though small. It came with a charging dock, CD/manual and charger and USB cord. Very easy to install the devices using the USB connected to a computer (MAC or Windows).

The step by step installation procedure on the application is very easy to understand and the device list in the data base is quite exhaustive. It had my LG DVDP, SOny TV, the Panny BDP, Airtel STB etc etc inbuilt (though i had to do a bit of manual prog on for the STB). Of course you do have innumerable customization options as its is a completely learning remote.

The coolest thing is you can have "activities" set up. for e.g "Watch DVD" and "Watch TV" in which you can assign the activities to be done while watching a movie on DVD/BD or watch a TV. Eg. for watching a DVD/BD you can set the STB to remain OFF, TV to ON and change the source input on TV to, say HDMI 2, AVR to ON and input to DVD/BD.! Then you can assign the volume control to be done on TV or AVR so that buttons on the remote act accordingly. Similarly if you want to watch TV/cable you can assign the AVR to OFF, BDP to OFF, TV source input to, say, HDMI 1 etc. May be this is a common feature on all universal remotes, but the all this can be done using the provided application on the computer and save the settings on the remote through USB.!

The buttons have a nice "click" and have a assuring feel on press. The contoured shape and the rubberized back give a nice grip and feel in the hand. The buttons, of course, are back lit. The colour touchscreen resolution is not that great but the touch sensitivity is quite good and the pictures/text are easy to see/read. As most of the controls are through the buttons, you need the touch screen only to change activity or devices.

Over, again, i guess its quite a good deal @ INR 6750. A better review and details here: Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back