Panasonic Plasma Television 2D 42X30D - still a good buy?

vaibhav

Hello forum members,

I used to be active on this forum three years ago and then pretty much dropped off due to multiple reasons. Now, I'm looking to buy a plasma on a short notice....

I had auditioned Panasonic 42X30D last year mid at the Panasonic brand shop here in Noida and it was around 39500. Now, that model has been discontinued and panny has launched newer models.

I'm a bit sold on the idea of a plasma as the viewing will be SD content TV and some movies (mostly downloads). Room is approximately 14'x12'. (viewing distance will be around 11'). I suppose 42 inch is the largest it can take.

Any thoughts on whether it's worth purchasing this discontinued model? Should i look at something different given the room size?

Any help in next few days would be much appreciated!

thanks
Vaibhav

Hello forum members,

I used to be active on this forum three years ago and then pretty much dropped off due to multiple reasons. Now, I'm looking to buy a plasma on a short notice....

I had auditioned Panasonic 42X30D last year mid at the Panasonic brand shop here in Noida and it was around 39500. Now, that model has been discontinued and panny has launched newer models.

I'm a bit sold on the idea of a plasma as the viewing will be SD content TV and some movies (mostly downloads). Room is approximately 14'x12'. (viewing distance will be around 11'). I suppose 42 inch is the largest it can take.

Any thoughts on whether it's worth purchasing this discontinued model? Should i look at something different given the room size?

Any help in next few days would be much appreciated!

thanks
Vaibhav

X30 is a basic entry level plasma which now has been replaced by X50, not sure when that will launch in India. Until then X30 might be your best best. Also have a look at the new Samsung plasma's...............their entry level models might be better than the X30!!!

If SD content is all you watch then for 11ft viewing distance 42inches will suffice. However for HD you would need to sit a lot closer.

X30 is a basic entry level plasma which now has been replaced by X50, not sure when that will launch in India. Until then X30 might be your best best. Also have a look at the new Samsung plasma's...............their entry level models might be better than the X30!!!

If SD content is all you watch then for 11ft viewing distance 42inches will suffice. However for HD you would need to sit a lot closer.

X50 and XT50 are already launched. Do check them out in Panasonic showrooms and make a comparison.

New model might be costly. For the price 30,000, it is best model. I am using it and don't find any problem. You will still find this in the market

Where is 42X50 available in bangalore and for what price?

Saw the models in Panasonic Brand shop on Ring Road, Chroma, Pai International, Devi International, Reliance digital etc. I am pretty sure that by now, most of the big retailers have received their demo TVs. But they are definitely available in the Panasonic Brand shops.

I think if I remember right the prices quoted were like Rs 44k for X50 and Rs 47k for the XT50. But note that these were just inquired prices with no bargaining done. You can definitely bargain for a better prices.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Ajayk73 - where did you get a quote for Rs 30,000 for? the cheapest I could get was 33,000.

thanks

ebay was sailing it for 29990. Might be that offer has end. In local store, price which you got is good one. Try to bargain little. I bought the same for 33.5 K

I have seen demos of Panasonic 42X30D and Samsung PS43D450
and the observations:
42X30D
---------
1. 42X30D PQ seems nice ,better than samsung
2.detects 1 TB USB HDD but could not read videos but read images
3. From USB , it plays all formats nicely
4.Price is 33K
5.Have features like SD card,Wi-Fi and LAN port
6.Not as style as samsung

PS43D450
----------
1.Detects and plays almost all formats from both USB and USB HDD
2.Does not have Wi-Fi and LAN port
3.Price is 37.5K

But 42X30D when switched off the screen is ash or light grey color. My doubt is if plasma can produce deep black level, how it can produce dark/black color darker than when it is switched off?

I also worried abt burn in Problem and heard that it produces ghost images.
How much serious is this problem?

Last edited:
I got a quote of 38,000 for Panasonic X50D from QRS, Cochin.
But, I find it costly since, I bought the older model - 42x30d with better features for 35k 1 year back ( 3 HDMI vs 2 in X50 and optical out vs none in X50 ).

You should concerntrate on PQ and main features and not fringe benefits.

1. Although 3 HDMI ports are better than 2, you will find that 3rd port is rarely required.
2. Optical out on TV is useless. What purpose does it serve? The digital STB will have an optical (and coaxial out); one can use that.

Now if you think that X30 has better PQ, clarity, black level, contrast, etc. than X50, by all means go ahead. I have not them seen both side by side, so I cannot compare. But I can state that X50 has a very good PQ.

Last edited:
But, I find it costly since, I bought the older model - 42x30d with better features for 35k 1 year back ( 3 HDMI vs 2 in X50 and optical out vs none in X50 ).

Dont think so take X50D

IMO, QRS and fridge house have higher prices. Try pittappillil and Kuruvithadam at Edappally also, before you buy.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back