Panasonic Viera ==> ARC to DENON 1612 not working

nicenicenicee

Hi All,
Can any one help me to solve the ARC issue here is my setup?

D2H (HDMI) ==> Denon (1612)==> panasonic 50UT50D (HDMI 2, ARC).

On TV side==> Sound ==> out to external
On Denon side ==> HDMI configuration is enabled.

Am i missing something here?
what mode / input i need to choose when i want tv sound to be accepted by Denon to be played back (TV? or SAT ? or something else)

I tried to search any existing thread but could not land something useful..if some one is aware.

More over ARC is too short to be recognized by forum search engine.

I think you need to select the TV input in avr for arc to work. Check the user manual for details. Also when you select TV side==> Sound ==> out to external, I think the tv optical out is enabled.

The Denon manual says 'To enable the ARC function, set HDMI Control to ON'

it is already ON,

Do you think i shall also put the HDMI cable under suspect?
I had opinion that all HDMI cables being it standard / High speed, are capable of ARC.

Any body faced this issue, just want to be sure before i spend another 1 to 2K on another HDMI cable and it doesn't work.

Baiju,

When i select the input as TV, and i see this inputs detail

in column HDMI i see blank as ------
while in column Digital i see two options ==> optical and none,

Is it same in your 1612?

which HDMI cable you are using? HDMI 1.4 onwards you have this support but not in HDMI 1.3

Panasonic Viera ==> ARC to DENON 1612 not working ===> SOLVED

I just read somewhere some times other HDMI inputs conflict, and bang, i removed my D2H Hdmi and Denone was able to see my tv...(though i have no sound yet, may be some tweak at denone level to get that, but atleast viera link was able to see some device to control)

Hope it will help to any one with D2H, and facing similar problem.
I need to find out how i would make it work.

but on another note, any body knows if my panasonic would be passing through all 5.1 channels to Denon back?

any body already using it?

AFAIK Cable is not a problem 1.3 should also work (I could be wrong here)

From HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: FAQ for HDMI 1.4

Will I need a new cable to support Audio Return Channel functionality?
No. Audio Return Channel -enabled devices can be connected via all the existing categories of HDMI cables

I had the same problem and I couldn't get my AVR to be recognized by my TV (Can be verified if pressing viera link button opens up menu in TV or not) but all of a sudden one day it worked automatically for a few min. I restarted and lost it again. In short most of the time AVR should automatically switch to ARC sound (at least my pioneer does that)
if both device can shake hands properly :D

Since the connection can't be relied upon I'm feeding TV's analog out to AVR (Don't have a digital cable) to get the sound from TV.

w.r.t 5.1 over ARC I heard that most TV only pass 2 channel audio over ARC. If you have a newer model may be you will get 5.1 back. Time to experiment.

I have the same config at home ... 1612, tatasky dth and panasonic HD tv ...

My connections are .... DTH HDMI out to AVR Sat/Cab HDMI In
TV (ARC-HDMI port to HDMI Out in AVR )

I use Sat/Cab mode to hear DTH sound.

for hearing TV sound on receiver .. I use TV on AVR

Are you doing the same ? Plz explain ur connection if it is different in your case

Cheers,
Druk

I got it working finally
I will post detailed steps what all i did.

situation earlier:
when i pressed viera links ==>>> feature not supported.......

1. On TV : Menu ==> Sound ==> Volume control ==> TV (if you choose something else you will have message ==> Feature not supported (when you attempt viera Links)

2. After step 1, i followed a strategy to remove any other hdmi inputs to denon

the moment i removed videocon d2h input ==> i got Viera link menu ==> speaker selection ===> i selected home cinema ====> I had no sound in morning.

though when i was switching TV off, Denon was going off. When i was changing volume from TV remote, Denon Vol was changing, so i was sure ARC has worked.

3. On Denon:Menu ==> Input setup ==> input mode ==> Decode Mode ==> Auto

and i believe i am getting 5.1 sound. because it automatically selected

Last edited:
AFAIK Cable is not a problem 1.3 should also work (I could be wrong here)

From HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: FAQ for HDMI 1.4

Will I need a new cable to support Audio Return Channel functionality?
No. Audio Return Channel -enabled devices can be connected via all the existing categories of HDMI cables

I had the same problem and I couldn't get my AVR to be recognized by my TV (Can be verified if pressing viera link button opens up menu in TV or not) but all of a sudden one day it worked automatically for a few min. I restarted and lost it again. In short most of the time AVR should automatically switch to ARC sound (at least my pioneer does that)
if both device can shake hands properly :D

Since the connection can't be relied upon I'm feeding TV's analog out to AVR (Don't have a digital cable) to get the sound from TV.

w.r.t 5.1 over ARC I heard that most TV only pass 2 channel audio over ARC. If you have a newer model may be you will get 5.1 back. Time to experiment.

Sandeep,
I strongly suspect that while it worked for you for short period you must have had chosen:

On TV : Menu ==> Sound ==> Volume control ==> TV

and it must have stopped for you when you changed this setting (if you choose something else you will have message ==> Feature not supported

Try it. and let me know if it work consistently for you.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back