Panasonic VIERA TH-P50V20D Vs Samsung new plasma models

Hello Guys,

After lot of research on this site, i feel Panasonic P50V20D is the best plasma in its price range.

absolutely not.

looked at C6500 model..The video quality never matched the panasonic V20.

Couldn't disagree more.

People generally have a mind sent that Panasonic plasma are the best, like how they think of Sony for LCD.

I could show u side by side how grainy the images on V20 looks compared to a Samsung C6500, only thing the V20 does better is slightly better blacks, less judder and image retention but samsung on the other hand has better picture processing,colors,POP and details hands down.

You need to own both to know the difference.

Hello!

Just my opinion, but I feel a lot more comfortable with Panasonic Plasma colours than I do with Samsung. The Panny colours feel more warm and believable whereas Samsung to my eyes appears too cold and digital.

Others may feel differently, but just my 2 cents, for whatever they are worth!

Its not about how you feel, its about how it measures and how close it is to 6500K and almost all pro calibrators agree that Panasonic has better blacks while samsung has better colors and pic processing. Also Panasonic plasma has the dirty screen effect on v20,vt20 and vt25 but that issue has been solved with VT30 but VT30 has other problems, this dirty screen and grainy image is not something i can digest when i pay that kind of money.

The v20 sold in India is a renamed G20 so i feel cheated that paid a lakh and more for an inferior tv which Panasonic dumped in India, oh finally black level raise

Last edited:
Longshanks,

May be you are right about C6500. But right now Samsung is not selling 6 series Plasma in India.
Assume if I currently want to buy Panny 42ST30 model. Which is the comparable model (price wise) from Samsung? is it PS51D550? Somehow I didnt see that in the demo. ST30/GT20 was much better in PQ

Sir,

Your mileage obviously varies and I have no issues with that.

All the measurements in the world would mean squat to me if I did not feel comfortable with the colours and the PQ. After all it is the picture on the screen that I wish to look at and enjoy without fatigue.....not a sheaf of papers bearing measurements.

I currently have a Panasonic, Toshiba as well as a Samsung, and to my eyes the Samsung colours look the least appealing.

However, if you like Samsung, it's fine by me!

Cheers

absolutely not.

Its not about how you feel, its about how it measures and how close it is to 6500K and almost all pro calibrators agree that Panasonic has better blacks while samsung has better colors and pic processing. Also Panasonic plasma has the dirty screen effect on v20,vt20 and vt25 but that issue has been solved with VT30 but VT30 has other problems, this dirty screen and grainy image is not something i can digest when i pay that kind of money.

The v20 sold in India is a renamed G20 so i feel cheated that paid a lakh and more for an inferior tv which Panasonic dumped in India, oh finally black level raise

All the measurements in the world would mean squat to me if I did not feel comfortable with the colours and the PQ.

So a lower measurement of black near to zero means better blacks displayed on television, a nearer measurement to 6500k means better, natural colors and if this means nothing to you i guess that should be fine.

After all it is the picture on the screen that I wish to look at and enjoy without fatigue.....not a sheaf of papers bearing measurements.

Not sure if your referring to LCD or plasma , if it is plasma you are referring to then no plasma can cause fatigue that easily, rather they can only appear dull to people who like LCD.

The sheaf of paper with measurement and spec is the first thing that makes a consumer even consider a tv before he does a demo of the same in a store.

I currently have a Panasonic, Toshiba as well as a Samsung, and to my eyes the Samsung colours look the least appealing.

If you find a properly calibrated samsung tv the least appealing that's fine.

I have had and currently own, Panasonic(50" v20), pioneer(50" 500M, sold) and samsung(C6500) plasma's.Philips(old 9 series) and Sony( 55EX720 and 40EX710) LCD's and out these ive seen the best colors in pioneer followed by samsung , best details in Philips followed by samsung, best blacks in pioneer followed by Panasonic, best contrast in pioneer followed by samsung, best POP in Philips followed by Samsung.

Also samsung has one of the cleanest image ive ever seen on tv, it could be different for other models that ive not come across.

Assume if I currently want to buy Panny 42ST30 model. Which is the comparable model (price wise) from Samsung? is it PS51D550? Somehow I didnt see that in the demo. ST30/GT20 was much better in PQ

All the models you mentioned here have their own advantages and disadvantages, read some user reviews(AVS forum) , try to demo these plasma's in a dim lit environment , one advantage D550 has is the tweaks in service menu which Panasonic lacks but does make ST30 and GT20 any less competitive cause they are very good plasma's.

Cheers.

Last edited:
wow, is the Samsung D550 truly superior to the Panasonic V20 in every other attribute other than the Black levels ?

Samsung D550 is available in Pune brand shop (Baner) for 71K.
I found the stock ticker appeared blurred and hard to read on D550 than Samsung LED models D6000 (46), D6600 (55). Are there any settings in the plasma to overcome this issue?
(feed was from tatasky hd box)

Hey Longshanks,

In each of my 2 posts above I have made it abundantly clear that my preference for the Panasonic colour over Samsung is purely personal and others may feel differently. If you prefer Samsung, Philips, Pioneer or any other make, theres nothing wrong in that and I have no desire whatsoever to challenge you or seek any justification.

But, I know what my eyes prefer and I dont need you or anybody else to decide that for me.

I see that you currently own a Panasonic 50 and a Samsung xxxx whatever it is. I also note that you lay great emphasis on specs and measurements. Obviously, you must have pored over reams of specs, measurements and reviews at that time, to arrive at the decision of purchasing the Panasonic. So what went wrong? Your method of due diligence fail you? It appears that the Samsung is the more recent purchase. So what guarantee is there, even though you find it so perfect today, a few months down the line after actually living with it you find the honeymoon getting over and start cribbing about it the way you seem to be cribbing about Panasonic now?

To the OP I would like to say the following.

Specs are at best a marketing ploy. Companies routinely dress them up to make their products more appealing to their target audienceand many suckers fall for it. They go for a demo, find that product A performs better than product B, but end up buying product B against their better judgment because the specs say that product B is superior.

Two different people can have vastly differing views on colour as well as sound and both would not be entirely wrong. To my mind, the first and indubitable rule of Audio/Video is to trust your own ears & eyes and buy only that product YOU feel comfortable with. Hearsay and my spec sheet is bigger than yours be damned!

So a lower measurement of black near to zero means better blacks displayed on television, a nearer measurement to 6500k means better, natural colors and if this means nothing to you i guess that should be fine.

Not sure if your referring to LCD or plasma , if it is plasma you are referring to then no plasma can cause fatigue that easily, rather they can only appear dull to people who like LCD.

The sheaf of paper with measurement and spec is the first thing that makes a consumer even consider a tv before he does a demo of the same in a store.

If you find a properly calibrated samsung tv the least appealing that's fine.

I have had and currently own, Panasonic(50" v20), pioneer(50" 500M, sold) and samsung(C6500) plasma's.Philips(old 9 series) and Sony( 55EX720 and 40EX710) LCD's and out these ive seen the best colors in pioneer followed by samsung , best details in Philips followed by samsung, best blacks in pioneer followed by Panasonic, best contrast in pioneer followed by samsung, best POP in Philips followed by Samsung.

Also samsung has one of the cleanest image ive ever seen on tv, it could be different for other models that ive not come across.

All the models you mentioned here have their own advantages and disadvantages, read some user reviews(AVS forum) , try to demo these plasma's in a dim lit environment , one advantage D550 has is the tweaks in service menu which Panasonic lacks but does make ST30 and GT20 any less competitive cause they are very good plasma's.

Cheers.

Hello Sud98,

I have a small correction to make. I have 2 Panasonics a 50 Plasma and a 32 LCD, a 40 Toshiba Regza LCD and a 42 Samsung Plasma, bought at different intervals during the past 3 years. I am travelling and do not have the model numbers with me, but they are really immaterial because these were bought in Dubai/Singapore, where new models keep coming in every 3-4 months, and would therefore not correspond accurately with the ones available today in India. All of the above were purchased after thorough auditioning in individual showrooms, as well as side by side comparisons. Fortunately, Dubai/Singapore present you with this option. Each offered unbeatable VFM at the time of the purchase and I am happy with all of them. To my eyes the Regza too is very good. However, if anyone asked me whether I preferred the Samsung over any of the Panasonics, I would simply say no. My work makes me spend a lot of time abroad and I visit most of the popular A/V shops on a regular basis. If anyone asked me if any of the Samsung TVs in the stores looked better than the Panasonics, I would still say no. Others may like the Samsung moretheres nothing wrong with that.

Cheers

Which Panasonic, Samsung and Toshiba TV's do you have? So we can understand the basis of the comparison.

I see that you currently own a Panasonic 50 and a Samsung xxxx whatever it is. I also note that you lay great emphasis on specs and measurements. Obviously, you must have pored over reams of specs, measurements and reviews at that time, to arrive at the decision of purchasing the Panasonic. So what went wrong? Your method of due diligence fail you? It appears that the Samsung is the more recent purchase. So what guarantee is there, even though you find it so perfect today, a few months down the line after actually living with it you find the honeymoon getting over and start cribbing about it the way you seem to be cribbing about Panasonic now?

First of all i am not cribbing about anything, you have to think before choosing your words,if you read this thread you will see that mine was just a reply to your post where you stated u find Samsung colors not as good as Panasonic.I never started a thread or posted out of blue stating Panasonic or Samsung is the best rather i have only replied when i see that kind of attitude.

Yes measurements still mean a lot to me.

I have the V20 and the C6500(3 of them bought on a amazing deal), i bought the V20 a couple of weeks before i bought the C6500, i liked it, blacks were good, then we bought the C6500 for 3 different rooms, when they fixed first C6500(the other 2 were on hold cause the room was under renovation) in a room , spent time tuning and calibrating the TV and started watching the TV a lot and i found the pic to be a lot cleaner,great POP and color so i started liking it and considering the price it was a killer, so i gave the V20 to my brother and hanged to C6500, in the past few months we have bought a 55inch sony LCD and i have recommended one of my relative the V20(since C6500 was not in stock), we buy or change different tv's for different purposes in my home and i don't have to explain about that here or to any one.After all this and almost 8 months of usage i still love my C6500 along with the pioneer we used to have.

This does not mean i don't like the V20, i think it is an excellent tv and no where did i say v20 sucks or write a post out of the blue for no reason stating Samsung is so much better than Panasonic.

I am not a big fan of specs but i trust in measurements when it comes to video.Audio is something which is entirely different.

An example is according to specs FULL HD(through HDMI digital) is far superior than 480p(DVD through analog component), that's proven fact,if someone feels or believes otherwise then there is something wrong,But you cant really say that SACD(digital) will sound sound better than vinyl(analog) or reel to reel(analog) or vice versa.

Last edited:
Hey Longshanks,

Once again, and for the last time, if you like your Samsung, good for you and I hope you keep enjoying it for a long time.

We are in this hobby for the sake of enjoyment and I think a slightly more mature live and let live attitude will only allow us all to enjoy it even more.

Cheers

First of all i am not cribbing about anything, you have to think before choosing your words,if you read this thread you will see that mine was just a reply to your post where you stated u find Samsung colors not as good as Panasonic.I never started a thread or posted out of blue stating Panasonic or Samsung is the best rather i have only replied when i see that kind of attitude.

Yes measurements still mean a lot to me.

I have the V20 and the C6500(3 of them bought on a amazing deal), i bought the V20 a couple of weeks before i bought the C6500, i liked it, blacks were good, then we bought the C6500 for 3 different rooms, when they fixed first C6500(the other 2 were on hold cause the room was under renovation) in a room , spent time tuning and calibrating the TV and started watching the TV a lot and i found the pic to be a lot cleaner,great POP and color so i started liking it and considering the price it was a killer, so i gave the V20 to my brother and hanged to C6500, in the past few months we have bought a 55inch sony LCD and i have recommended one of my relative the V20(since C6500 was not in stock), we buy or change different tv's for different purposes in my home and i don't have to explain about that here or to any one.After all this and almost 8 months of usage i still love my C6500 along with the pioneer we used to have.

This does not mean i don't like the V20, i think it is an excellent tv and no where did i say v20 sucks or write a post out of the blue for no reason stating Samsung is so much better than Panasonic.

I am not a big fan of specs but i trust in measurements when it comes to video.Audio is something which is entirely different.

An example is according to specs FULL HD(through HDMI digital) is far superior than 480p(DVD through analog component), that's proven fact,if someone feels or believes otherwise then there is something wrong,But you cant really say that SACD(digital) will sound sound better than vinyl(analog) or reel to reel(analog) or vice versa.

please don't make this forum a platform for personal quarrels..You both are experienced persons and use it to help others..

BTW anyone has compared 50v20 and 51d550 side by side(only PQ wise)? and if yes what are their reviews?

@Graghu what is your experience with 50v20d after 1 month?

please don't make this forum a platform for personal quarrels..You both are experienced persons and use it to help others..

BTW anyone has compared 50v20 and 51d550 side by side(only PQ wise)? and if yes what are their reviews?

@Graghu what is your experience with 50v20d after 1 month?

the V20 would be much better. Saw both but not side by side, D550 is reflective so you need to adjust the lighting in your room accordingly.
50v20d is 78-82k , samsung you can get for 62k with 3d thats why i choose to go with it.

When you say pic quality it has many parameters , both these tv's have their share of advantages and disadvantages so its a matter what you prefer.

If better black is what people generally assume as better pic quality then V20 wins by a small margin.

It seriously takes something special to beat the V series of Panny Plasmas both in PQ & Black Levels. IMHO
Even u can search on web and those who own them... V20 & VT20 are the models to beat last year. The only models that are better than those in all-round are the latest High_End plasmas of both Samsung & Panasonic.

When you say pic quality it has many parameters , both these tv's have their share of advantages and disadvantages so its a matter what you prefer.

so considering all parameters which one looks better to you?

If better black is what people generally assume as better pic quality then V20 wins by a small margin.

means apart from marginally better black levels, rest is better in samsung?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back