Passive crossover emulation using Vituix CAD and EQApo

Vineethkumar01

In recent posts on VituixCAD thread on diyaudio, Kimmosto has outlined a procedure for passive crossover emulation using VituixCAD and EQAPO softwares. An FM had generously captured the ideas and have explained it in the attached document (initial release) and made it available publicly. I will update incase he updates the document. Original thread and posts here:

The idea is to emulate what a particular passive crossover (filter) IIR transfer function does by emulating it using FIR filters. This will help one understand the implications of the filter on tonal balance and adjust crossover settings. The advantage is that all the crossover tweaking via passive components can be done in software and heard before going and buying parts. Off course there are a few caveats and it is mentioned in the attached document. One will need VituixCAD, EQAPO, a multichannel soundcard, amplifer(s) for using this feature/functionality.

I personally feel that this is an incredibly useful functionality to really understand and learn the impact of different crossovers on a speaker during development. And finally when one is satisfied with emulation results, one can test with real caps, inductors and resistors to build the crossover network according to the finalised configuration.

Hope someone will find it as useful as it is to me or more :)

Thanks
Vineeth

Attachments

• filter simulation (1).pdf
    360.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I find the user interface of the VituixCAD not so user friendly.
Yes. It takes a bit of getting used to as with any sophisticated tool. There are a few videos about how to use different features uploaded by kimmosto here:
Also one needs to ho though the instruction manual that is available on the website where the software is downloaded from.

In my opinion, Vituixcad is the best and most complete speaker design software available to diyers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back