PC For Music listening

Anyone in bangalore running a jriver/jplay/foobar/asio setup wants to do shootout with a Linux audio pc running low latency kernel? If you are up for the challenge let me know :)

G0bble

Me me me! Recently built a fanless pc only for this purpose. Would be a good exercise to do. Get your dac as well. Really interested in listening to your 47 labs dac.

Cheers!

Look forward to the comparison..Also would be great if you could all compare your respective DACs as well irrespective of their cost...

A recent comparison was done in the UK where the listeners were unable to distinguish between a Sonos, Auralic Vega, Naim DAC and Rega DACs in a fairly high end system consisting of ATC speakers (analytical and detailed so should have thrown out differences if any)

DAC Bake-Off (South) 08/02/14 - Page 9 - pink fish media

So it would be interesting to know if our forum members experience the same or substantial differences can be made out. Staxx, Gobble, reignofchaos all have highly detailed and resolving equipment so would be interesting to know what you guys think...

Me me me! Recently built a fanless pc only for this purpose. Would be a good exercise to do. Get your dac as well. Really interested in listening to your 47 labs dac.

Cheers!

Hi ROC,
Yes sure that would be interesting. What do you use - Jplay/Jriver? we already have a foobar PC. How difficult is it to switch between the three on a single PC? Just to rule out hardware specific variables. We will already have the PCs to compare, so I strongly feel, we should not introduce yet one more variable like a different DAC in the mix, as we wont be able to pay attention and achieve the objective via repeat listening to the same A/B. Rotating the PCs by itself will keep us busy re-listening to the differences over and over again.

Please do come home to my place if you want to listen to the DAC.

--G0bble

Last edited:
I use a tweaked version of Foobar (no JRiver/JPlay etc.) and would like to figure out if any difference is discernible between this and other ways of playing the same recording.

If possible, please give pointers on how to tweak foobar. Thanks in advance.

Look forward to the comparison..Also would be great if you could all compare your respective DACs as well irrespective of their cost...

So it would be interesting to know if our forum members experience the same or substantial differences can be made out. Staxx, Gobble, reignofchaos all have highly detailed and resolving equipment so would be interesting to know what you guys think...

Lets take it one at a time. Else it will confuse our memories of what was just listened to. We can do the DAC part later some day.

As for me I am skeptical of ABX testing as posted in that forum post

pink fish media - View Single Post - DAC Bake-Off (South) 08/02/14

--G0bble

I would suggest multiple boot, which ensures that the hardware aspects always remain identical. Might be a good idea to swap in a spare hdd to the chosen machine, so that whatever is done does not affect the owner's usual setup --- or even cause worry to the owner that it might.

For me, that still leaves too long between music-playing times for a proper test. It is very challenging.

If you don't test blind, at least AB, and at least informally, your results will still have interest as subjective anecdotes. Perfectly valid as such; don't we spend our time here swapping such stories to our mutual pleasure? But not authoritative.

If possible, please give pointers on how to tweak foobar. Thanks in advance.

So sorry, you'll have to ask Mark Porzilli about that. He is well known for designing the Melos amps and Pipedream speakers. This is what he has worked on for the last several years and continues to develop the Memory Player.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back