Pearl2 Phono

Thanks Reuben, it's done with computerized laser engraving. There is one shop near my office who make name plates.

Thanks Reuben, it's done with computerized laser engraving. There is one shop near my office who make name plates.

Wow!! can it be done on a metal surface as well? Did you take the front panel to then in finished state of did you get the engraving done on a piece of wood and move forward from that point?

I want to patch up the tonearm holes on my Lenco L75 plinth and have it completely painted or power coated. Once done I want to get the lettering done. That's the reason for enquiring. Thanks

Wow!! can it be done on a metal surface as well? Did you take the front panel to then in finished state of did you get the engraving done on a piece of wood and move forward from that point?

@reuben: there are lasers that will etch on metal. And there are some which confine themselves only to acrylic/plastic/wood. I think it has to do with how powerful the laser is and the degree of fine control it is capable of.

Incidentally, last Saturday I got an acrylic turntable cover made for a friend's Project RPM 3.1. Purely for vanity's sake, I had his name laser etched on the top surface. This is reverse etched, from the inside surface so that the outside surface is smooth and the etch does not become a repository for fine dust.

If you want to etch it on metallic surfaces, the surface must be completely finished first. Example - if it is aluminium and you want to anodise the surface, have the surface thoroughly polished with increasingly fine grit, and then have it anodised. This is to be followed by etching. Similarly, if it is stainless steel, the surface needs to be finished first. I have never tried wood but I believe it needs to be finished first as well.

I want to patch up the tonearm holes on my Lenco L75 plinth and have it completely painted or power coated. Once done I want to get the lettering done. That's the reason for enquiring. Thanks

Yes, Joshua is correct. For metal machine could be different. For faceplate - I first finished the wooden faceplate, just made it smooth by sanding with different sand papers. Then had it engraved and later polished. While polishing care must be taken to avoid falling debris into engraved letters.

Screen printing would be preferable for restorations such as Lenco - it is
non-destructive (no engraving), and you can replicate exact original look.

However, in terms of ease, I think laser etching is easier. It will be done in few minutes.
I got a burnished stainless steel panel engraved with some text, and no preparation was needed
at all. work was done in about 10 mins. Metal laser is available with those who customize gifts such
as watches, metal pens etc - check with your corporate gift supplier :)

The metal engraving was done using a small Fiber laser machine. For wood and plastic, this workshop
was using a CO2 laser.

Last edited:
Hello, can this pearl2 phono preamp clone can be made in year 2020 Can anybody guide me on this build as I talked with one of this group buy HFV members and he told some parts are unobtainum in 2020 I.e some vfet or opamps. Kindly share some more info on this.

Hello, can this pearl2 phono preamp clone can be made in year 2020 Can anybody guide me on this build as I talked with one of this group buy HFV members and he told some parts are unobtainum in 2020 I.e some vfet or opamps. Kindly share some more info on this.
Pearl2 uses sk170 jfets which are discontinued for some time now and almost impossible to obtain. The only & direct replacement is LSK170 from Linear Technology, albeit expensive. If one is ok with importing the Lsk version of the jfet, he can go ahead n build the Pearl2.

If you're building for low output MC I would suggest to build the Hypnotoad phono preamp instead of the Pearl 2. Hypnotoad is much simpler in construction (one chassis versus two of Pearl 2). And better sounding (to my ears). Check if @sachu888 still has kits.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back