Peeceebee V4H

What is the transformer rating you are using? I have planned for 600va 40-0-40 from torotrans.

I have a Torotrans toroid which I had ordered for the Peeceebee amp. However, with that project shelved, the transformer is lying idle. Its quite a heavy transformer with a Lot of available connections. I got it for 4.5k. Please PM if anyone is interested to pick it up.

MaSh

600VA is sufficient but a higher VA will have lesser rail-sag under load so 800VA (400VA per channel for dual mono) was recommended by Shaan.

40V-0-40V transformer with ~56.5V after rectification/filtering.

600VA is sufficient but a higher VA will have lesser rail-sag under load so 800VA (400VA per channel for dual mono) was recommended by Shaan.

40V-0-40V transformer with ~56.5V after rectification/filtering.
Would there be substantial sonic benefit?
I have read that big toroidal transformer is susceptible to hum and buzzing noise if some dc component is there in the mains. Also, there will be increase in approx 1 kg weight.

I have read that big toroidal transformer is susceptible to hum and buzzing noise if some dc component is there in the mains. Also, there will be increase in approx 1 kg weight.
May transformer not struggling with serious load.May be less heat.May be better dark background in sound.When using dcb1 or B1 ,which need very less current(10mA?),we use 1 amp transformer.

If pushing the amp to high loads the bigger transformer will help with the extra headroom. There shouldn't be sonic benefits in regular usage.

A larger transformer will also run cooler because of the extra headroom. Issues of transformer hum can be resolved by shielding, or repositioning/rotating the transformer. The most common cause of hum (ground loops) has nothing to do with transformer size.

Finally, got my first diy project Peeceebee v4h done. Amp is singing with no noise or hiss at all even if I bring my ear close to test speaker. I was sceptical about noise because I have used a big 800va toroid and also being my first diy I wasn't sure about organising wiring and placement of components. Thanks to @shaan and @Beginner_N for prompt and valuable support. I added a pic of internals any suggestion for improvement.

Using 4ohm sony coaxial car speakers for testing, will buy floorstanders .

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back