Philips GA 242 turntable

A few observations on your TTs. The GA 242 is a later model, with red power indicator. So the electronics should be okay. Do lubricate the speed control switch, from inside.
The GC O32 will need a motor grommet ( rubber suspension) replacement. Someone has also replaced the original mat with a mat fitted on the later Hi Q International tt. If so, then the ' lip' at the edge may touch the body. Check this.
Thank God again. Grateful for reminding on the switches. You sure got a list run before your eyes looking at it condition. Yes, the switches are straight out of a ship wreck. I wasn't very sure if I could use an anti-corrosion oil, or a simple 3-in-1 (good old singer), or Tredmilll Lubricant spray, or may be WD40 spray. In the past coconut oil was universal and to some better use, Brylcreem was used as we used to be called Brylcream boys once upon a time. With the 3-in-1 or WD40, we would let it soak for a while and wipe it to remove rust/ corrosion, sometime a gentle brush with a fine 000 paper. I noticed the motor is in permanent start configuration. The Stop button is not working. I would like to make sure it works as it will keep the motor and platter running at the end of the LP. Some advantages of an auto-stop like the GC032, where one could go off to sleep with music running. With AT LP120, I will miss that. Since AT is a more popular and far more widely made TT, chances of getting spares and support for coming years are good. Hence, did not look for other brand names which bring fond memories of the yester years.

You are right, the GC studs are all gone and it runs like the e-rick without shockers, sometimes speed takes a knock and at times start is assisted. I did not know if I could find a kit. That shoddy job was done several years ago from the plumbing spares. Will I be able to get a replacement kit? Or do I improvise it. I guess this isnt just as simple and straight as any suspension because the motor and spindle are to appear at at those fixed heights to get its correct ration of rpm from spindle. Also, for now, there is no bushing at the anchors and the entire motor shifts laterally thus changing the tensions of the idler wheel and spindle contact. I had some wild ideas of using silicon to fill the gaps on the anchor points and hold the levels till silicon dries. These days, even the road-side resurrections are pretty neat. Request you to please advise me on this part.

On your observation about the "lip" of the "mat" likely to "touch the body", are you referring to the rubber Mat of GC032 platter? Or something else which I am completely unaware of? I am adding a couple of video of both the platter with mat and after removal of platter, the "Jugaad" i have put in place to keep it going. Yes, there is a play developed in the Idler Wheel assembly which is regulated by the speed assembly. I had decided to place a sponge in the assembly well as there is nothing else I could do to keep the Arm and shaft of idler wheel with the spring. If you notice, I am trying to indicate the play by trying to get the idler wheel arm parallel to the ground I can try to add a low tension flat rubber and stick it to the floor of the assembly cavity and and the lever where the spring attaches to the assembly. The play has set in at the pivot shaft. Aa washer too could do the trick. For now, several flaws add up to a small flaw in sum total, hence I was wondering if I try to correct the play. But if there is a way to get a new suspension for the motor, the ride could be so much quieter. Dont know how to get it done.

NB : The video has turned out to be very large. I will have to reduce the size and also make smaller sections since I have explained a couple of issues on it. For now, this goes as it is. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hi UcSam.
1.Your GA 242 has the nuts embedded in the headshell. It is stuck with rubber adhesive and is easy to pry off, but please don't try it. To fix the cartridge one has to screw it from below, after fixing the clips.
2. The reason for change to Classic 700 many aeons ago could be simply availability: Classic 700 was made in India and freely available, whereas EG 1400 was not, and styli was more expensive. Remember in those days even a 50 ₹ difference was a deciding factor. Another reason could be that your EG 1400 may have a short, which is very very rare. Check continuity with a digital meter(only) at the correct settings ( google this first).
3. Fast-forward to the present and situation is slightly different. MM 321 styli is available on many sites. (For Classic 700 you have to fit Shure M-75).Am am trying to procure a few MM 321 and if successful, will tell you the site.
4. Re' 78 playback, will share my thoughts tomorrow in your other post.
Lastly, a step by step approach is recommended. First get the tt going, then fit the cart, and then build the 78 playback system whichever one you decide.
I am with you as far as the steps you advised to take going further hereon. The caution and warning on handling existed then too, but the outlook was a little different and therefore, a calculated risk taking approach then has changed now to be doubly sure and thorough if not ten times sure. Usually, mission orientation of those times were time critical. With lighting ones own tail if not kicked, was often a responsible approach to matters needing attention.

Yes, you are 100% spot ON. Classic was forced on us in absence of the right or better ones. The reason for this TT to take a back seat and disappear was due to nonavailability of carts and styli. The Classic did cost me around 70 or 40, not sure. Importing one was unthinkable being in the services. With snail mail, all that was impossible to keep up with. Today, because of communication having become 10 times better, we just need to look for genuine sources and search for a good price, but the old stuff is out again for use.

I made a request with Reubensm to confirm if any of the two shown here https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00066XTBA/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2WNDI09KBYDOS&th=1
would work for EG1400. I can give it a go to put my system together slowly, but surely. Incidentally, the open sources for accessories of TT are few and far from being able to afford here. In the price of a simple AT VMN here in India, it is possible to buy two or more from North America.

As for the possibility of being able to play 78s, if the grand old GC032 could be fitted with a new suspension system, it sure will be able to play better and not with hit and trial as was being done earlier for 33 and 45 with its suspension having collapsed. It was like the vespa. If it did not start, tilt to left. If that didnt work tilt to right, it will start
Is there a way around or a direct method of attending to the suspension? Please do let me know.
I found one stylus, not what I had in mind. I had purchased one from UK and had kept it with the old stylus because in almost all of them, 78 was unused. But I found this from 2017 Nov purchase from Holland. The dutch may have believed this one to fit GP204. I have requested Reubensm to advise on the stylis I have right now. A picture is attached.

Attachments

• 20230414_191208.jpg
    20230414_191208.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi UcSam.
1.Your GA 242 has the nuts embedded in the headshell. It is stuck with rubber adhesive and is easy to pry off, but please don't try it. To fix the cartridge one has to screw it from below, after fixing the clips.
2. The reason for change to Classic 700 many aeons ago could be simply availability: Classic 700 was made in India and freely available, whereas EG 1400 was not, and styli was more expensive. Remember in those days even a 50 ₹ difference was a deciding factor. Another reason could be that your EG 1400 may have a short, which is very very rare. Check continuity with a digital meter(only) at the correct settings ( google this first).
3. Fast-forward to the present and situation is slightly different. MM 321 styli is available on many sites. (For Classic 700 you have to fit Shure M-75).Am am trying to procure a few MM 321 and if successful, will tell you the site.
4. Re' 78 playback, will share my thoughts tomorrow in your other post.
Lastly, a step by step approach is recommended. First get the tt going, then fit the cart, and then build the 78 playback system whichever one you decide.

A few observations on your TTs. The GA 242 is a later model, with red power indicator. So the electronics should be okay. Do lubricate the speed control switch, from inside.
The GC O32 will need a motor grommet ( rubber suspension) replacement. Someone has also replaced the original mat with a mat fitted on the later Hi Q International tt. If so, then the ' lip' at the edge may touch the body. Check this.

Attachments

• The play in the Idler wheel Assembly.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
  • The play in idler wheel assembly causes connect with spindle at different ratio inducing speed...zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi UcSam. 1.The stylus pictured is indeed for the GC O32, fitted with the Gp224 or 204 ceramic cart.
2. The GC 032 motor is suspended by three rubber grommets whish must be at the height where it is approximately in the centre of 45 rpm gradation on the motor step pulley. These are available on Amazon. I had fabricated with cardboard. Bit noisy.
3. The stylus above is for AT3600L. It will not fit on the EG1400.

Hi UcSam. 1.The stylus pictured is indeed for the GC O32, fitted with the Gp224 or 204 ceramic cart.
2. The GC 032 motor is suspended by three rubber grommets whish must be at the height where it is approximately in the centre of 45 rpm gradation on the motor step pulley. These are available on Amazon. I had fabricated with cardboard. Bit noisy.
3. The stylus above is for AT3600L. It will not fit on the EG1400.
Para 3. I had guessed that, but since I am not so familiar with the carts and stylus as yet, knowing that 3600 go with AT60, they are neither so easy to swap, nor compatible with ATLP120. Having realised that, about a couple of hours ago, I got my cousin to get ATN95e, AT95e, a spare ATN95e and AT VM95e cart with stylus, Atlanta at a little less than INR 10k equivalent delivered at her office. It is difficult to say when they may reach, but hope to be here by Diwali anyhow.

Para 1. Like I said, I am not familiar with this subject as good as I was 40 yrs ago. Dealing with that vintage recalling it is also dangerous :). Thanks for reassuring it. I am having it moved to a secure area. I now have two new stylus if I find my previous buy and perhaps about 4 or 5 old ones, all put together, but its been several years, perhaps decades and over 45-50 moves. I also realised I cant locate the Philips pre-amp for GC032. That too is serviceable but ever since I got Enn Bee, I was not using it. The pre-amp, phono and MM/MC, all are plug and play though I dont have the values as the manual of Enn Bee is missing. What a pity when Pilots Notes go missing and you must fly
:(
I think I have a mixed bag of Saphire and Diamond tips. This one is Diamod and the oone from UK was Saphire. As I remember now, I wanted Diamond tip, hence this one.

Para 2. This part is interesting and exciting. I wont mind fabricating. Basically anything which is a poor conductor of vibrations and waves (noise/sound/ cause of resonance), needs to be used to Insulate the shock absorbing media. However, if they are on Amazon, is there a size kit for a universal use across many TT?
I have some silicon and glass wool/ Glass fiber patches which I had made for car stereo speaker packing long back. The silicon may have become a little brittle, but the glass wool/ glass fiber would be fine. I wil try and mould them with Rubber addhesive. lets see if I manage a disk of it so I cut out smaller portions and use earbuds from scores of earphones over past several decades kept with me. Somehow, the Pillars of the motor which suspend the motor, needs to be isolated or kept off the motor body so the metal does not touch the motor mounting. It is also possible to fill the gap with silicon gel. I have a large pressure can which is not advisable to use, but will look for a small one from Dr Fixit. THANKS A TON for throwing open ideas at me to work on them. Will keep all updated on my eforts if that becomes workable.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back